Haibike eQ Xduro Cross

The one e-bikeshop has is the Maintronic SX2, it's a bit involved for the install though (you need to open the motor swap the speed sensor). The Badass one just sits on the chain stay so there's no permanent modification. I think the bikes are plenty fast stock, but it's good to know the option is there for those must have more speed. I would definitely check with the manufacture on how your warranty will be impacted.

Eddie, this was the one I was reading about: http://www.badassebikes.com. I think there might have been a thread about it on Endless-Sphere.

Crikey, that link made me hungry. :D

Chris, I would imaging that any warranty would be void. So far I have only read about te UK version, which is a very neat package, but what I don't like is the false speedo readings that it gives. I'm kind of hot on accuracy when it comes to keeping mileage readings etc.

I received an email today to say that my bike has been shipped. Oddly no tracking details though, but maybe they will be forwarded tomorrow. :)

Crikey, that link made me hungry

You bet! When I first went there, a month ago, I thought I had been re-directed to some kind of xrated site. Does tend to get your attention though.

Seven models with the all new Bosch Gen2 Performance system, built to higher power and higher top speed will begin shipping to our Dealers around Memorial Day. Attached are the range of products for the initial US launch.

Just FYI, you might want to check out: https://www.haibike.com/de/de

Attachments

• 2014 Haibike Sell Sheets.pdf
    911.8 KB · Views: 527
Hi Larry,

These look great. How much will be the Trekking model and how much does an extra battery cost? I went to your web site and loaded New Hampshire dealers and try to find their web presence. One doesn't seem to be running a web site and the other doesn't mention any Haibikes/Ebikes in stock.

Hi Brambor - Sorry for the lack of clarity; 1) The prices are on each page of the sell sheet, upper left. The Trekking will be $4000. 2) Regarding dealer listings and availability, Because they will not arrive in the US until Memorial Day 2014, most dealers are not yet listed and/or have not loaded product onto their sites.

Chris Nolte from Long Island Electric Bikes is on this discussion and because he placed his orders early, will likely be one of the first dealers within your region to receive Haibikes.

Hope that helps!
Larry

Hi Larry, I just wanted to say how much that I enjoy your videos. :)

The carrier has now contacted me, and delivery of my bike will be between 9.00am and 4.00pm tomorrow. :)

Hi Larry, I just wanted to say how much that I enjoy your videos. :)

The carrier has now contacted me, and delivery of my bike will be between 9.00am and 4.00pm tomorrow. :)
That's great Eddie and thanks for the complement. I look forward to hearing more once you receive your bike.

Best regards,
-Larry

Look what arrived today. :)

The delivery driver was supposed to phone an hour before delivery, but didn't and my wife didn't hassle him over it, as his 50mile journey had just taken over 4hrs to complete!

I don't normally like flat pack, but this was one parcel that I was happy to see.

haibike-eq-xduro-package.jpg

When I cut the box open, I was stunned by the quality of the product. Given that I've never seen a Haibike in flesh so to speak, I was more than impressed. It's no wonder that Martin the lad that sells them over here is so enthusiastic about the product. On finish alone, I can't fault it.

haibike-eq-xduro-shipped.jpg haibike-eq-xduro-assembly.jpg

And assembled.

haibike-eq-xduro.jpg

I'm going to change the pedals for clipless ones, but beyond that I probably won't be doing very much to it.

Even just riding it around the garden and driveway unassisted, the bike feels half the weight that it is, and it feels really effortless to ride. I'll take it out for a powered play tomorrow. :)

Looks beautiful, almost like a piece of art.
That is what I like about Grace and Haibike. Excellent piece of engineering.
Brilliant choice Eddie...!!

It's the little details that make a difference.

Things as simple as blanking caps over frame bolt fixing points, expense hasn't been cut on the presentation and quality of the owners manuals, and even having a bottle cage mount is something of a luxury to me.
As for the saddle, I'm going to buy another and fit it to the Neo Xtrem.

And Larry, I can see why you come across in the promo video's as being genuingly enthusiastic and passionate about the product. :)

Last edited:
Eddie - I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you get a good ride in. Congratulations on your new ride!

Here are my thoughts after my first ride.

I've not ridden a crank drive before, and I'm left with mixed feelings about it. Obviously I'm not going to judge anything until living with the bike for a good few months, but compared with the silence of a hub drive, the noise of the motor compared with a hub drive is very pronounced, I also had to work much harder to maintain anywhere near the same assisted pace of the BH with it's hub drive. I also feel that Bosch are pulling a sales stunt in relation to the amount of power settings. The lowest ECO setting should be scrapped in favour of making Tour the ECO setting.

One interesting thing that I did notice when comparing the crank drive to hub drive, is that when using hub drive in assisted mode, you instantly drop two gears when turning assist off. With the crank drive this doesn't happen, which is nice. The Bosch display console is very nice to use and is hard to fault in anyway.

Yesterday when I unpacked the bike and saw the Shimano SDD3 rear hub, I was kind of disappointed. This disappointment was forgotten with the first gear change today. I have to say that every change was super smooth and silent, and whilst I thought that I wouldn't like SRAM, I now think that it's superb.

The bike hides it's weight incredibly well, and is a pleasure to ride in unassisted mode, and progress can be made very quickly indeed. The bike felt very much faster than the BH, but there is a conflict; when I checked my average speed etc after the ride, the average speed was nearly 4mph slower. Which is very odd given that I only ever use ECO mode on the BH, but used Tour and Sport on the Haibike. Some of this might also be down to my riding style today, as I didn't know what to expect from the battery life, so perhaps didn't use as much assisted mode as maybe might have done normally.

Now for the tyres. These are fantastic. According to the spec sheet they are Schwalbe Marathon Modial, but I haven't checked this. They roll brilliantly, run silently, and road grip is very confidence inspiring. The ride on the wet and muddy cycle way was also just as much fun. I like a lively feel from a tyre, and these deliver that. The brakes are very good rather than superb, but they are new so I don't expect them to make the bike stand on it's nose.

Speaking of standing on it's nose, the forks are adequate but have sadly added much weight to the front end of the bike. This is one area that I might think about changing at some stage, but I don't think that there are any forks out there to suit. That is me just being picky, and is no way a reflection of the product.

I had written much more but lost it, so I'll add to this at a later stage. The main thing is that I'm still smiling. :) Not bad for a first ride. 42.7 miles and only half of the battery capacity used.

bosch-electric-bike-computer-console.jpg

I should add that I don't intend to kill this bike by using it off road, this is simply just how muddy that our rain sodden cycle paths are now.

haibike-eq-xduro-muddy.jpg haibike-eq-xduro-battery.jpg

haibike-eq-xduro-trail-riding.jpg haibike-eq-xduro-electric-bike.jpg haibike-eq-xduro-ebike.jpg

Thanks for sharing Eddie. Can you elaborate on the range, I know Bosch promises a long range, but 47 miles on a half a battery is amazing. Did you ride it without power a lot?

Eddie, nice job. There is just something about the look of that bike that just says "class". Love the color as well. Interesting that the crank drive makes noticably more noise then the hub drive. I didn't realize that was the case. Have a great time with the Haibike, please keep the reports coming.

Eddie - Great initial review. Yes, you do have some drive system noise because of the gear reduction system but that translates into added torque (especially due to the bikes own drive acting as a manual transmission) and efficiency (because a 250w motor - in you case because this is an EU version) delivers amazing range. I have had essentially the same bike as you are riding since 2012 and have ridden close to 100 miles on Eco mode. Regarding assist levels, they are very different then on the EM. On the Bosch Gen1 system you are riding, Eco = 50% of human power and Turbo = 275%. Most of the time I ride in Tour or Sport mode. One thing that I'd suggest is that you should try to keep your own pedal cadence up a bit higher if possible (to 60 - 80 RPMs), by using your gear system, especially when your riding in Eco or Tour mode.

The Gen2 Bosch systems arriving in the States in May will be a bit different in that they are quitter and more powerful (350w). Everyone that rides our samples for more then a parking lot test, is generally sold on them being the finest thing on the market. Here is a quote from an engineer acquaintance of mine, that was a doubter until he took a Haibike for a lunchtime ride…."I just got back from test riding Larry's latest and greatest. It is everything he says it is, and more - light, torquey, fast, seamless control system, great range... the list goes on and on. It is just a wonderful bike in all respects."

Many thanks for the advice Larry. :)

I guess that the hub motor has made me lazy. :D

Thanks for sharing Eddie. Can you elaborate on the range, I know Bosch promises a long range, but 47 miles on a half a battery is amazing. Did you ride it without power a lot?

Hi Chris,

I did ride a fair bit of the ride unassisted, but the bikes gearing is superb, it also rolls easily and it hides it's weight very well, so even in my very hilly terrain unassisted mode was a pleasure. I also choose this bike over the trekking for it's massive weight saving and this bikes gearing is better suited to my needs. I do need to get used to the crank drive, which I guess will take a bit of time, but at least the bike has successfully achieved what I wanted..

My criteria for the second bike was as follows., and not in any particular order
  • Fast when in unassisted mode.
  • Reasonably light weight.
  • The ability to undertake light cycle paths.
  • Ideally good styling, although I do still prefer the look of hub motors and integrated battery.
  • High quality finish and good component spec for price.
  • But the main thing that I wanted was a 50miles duration from the battery. I have somewhere that I wish to ride to when it's summer. :)
The above is asking a lot from any bike, but I'm happy that this one ticks all of my boxes.

Sadly I have just put my Topeak rear rack and bag on it today, but as ultimately I want try to use the Haibike as and when I can to commute on. I'm an oak timber framer by trade, so options to cycle aren't a daily choice for me, but when I'm at my workshop I intend to ride in as much as possible. The workshop is 15miles away from home, and when I have been using the BH, it only takes 6 minutes longer than when driving my van, which just seems crazy.

The image below may not be clear enough, but hopefully it gives an indication of the terrain that I live in. Also ignore the mileage, as I forgot to turn the phone on!

electric-bike-ride-map.jpg

Back