Good Stuff You Bought

Riders I've talked with re their lack of bike lights report that "they can see just fine". To me the real issue is to be sure those big heavy, fast machines near you - cars - can see you even in low light. I use flashing tail and head lights even during the day. Makes a big difference on how cats react to me.
Is it just me or are people getting stupider and stupider? 😶

In my neighborhood its all the walkers dressed in black. It doesn't matter the time of day, in winter they are hard to see. We do not have sidewalks just a painted lane line and snow on the shoulder.
We always carry flashlights for our evening walks; not so much to see but to be seen.

I have one of these on order:

I dislike trunk bags for a lot of reasons but that one is kind of nice and will work well while hauling a dog.

Riders I've talked with re their lack of bike lights report that "they can see just fine".
To me the real issue is to be sure those big heavy, fast machines near you - cars - can see you even in low light.
I use flashing tail and head lights even during the day. Makes a big difference on how cats react to me.
This is my biggest pet-peeve with new riders... you must have lights to be seen during daylight hours!
Anyone who rides a motorcycle knows from experience that other drivers see you as completely invisible.

From the Basic Motorcycle Riders Handbook. ;) :)
1612491167839.png

This is my biggest pet-peeve with new riders... you must have lights to be seen during daylight hours!
Anyone who rides a motorcycle knows from experience that other drivers see you as completely invisible.

From the Basic Motorcycle Riders Handbook. ;) :)
View attachment 78282
I only got nicked a couple times on my MC during the three different periods of MC riding in my life. It was plain, obvious, that drivers subconsciously did not give a flying frik if they hit you because they knew they were safe in their car. Granted this was not a conscious decision in their minds. They were usually on auto-pilot with their minds somewhere else. We all do this. And my experience was before cell phones mostly. It's exponentially worse now.

Riders I've talked with re their lack of bike lights report that "they can see just fine". To me the real issue is to be sure those big heavy, fast machines near you - cars - can see you even in low light. I use flashing tail and head lights even during the day. Makes a big difference on how cats react to me.
E-bike lighting is so important... I got a situation several years ago: a lorry driver warned me with his headlights at night, signalling my Supernova beam was set too high and blinding him; I fixed the lamp position. With my other e-bikes, I use a dedicated front/tail set of good lights for each of them, whatever pain it takes to maintain them charged and put on the bike pre-ride. As a driver, I appreciate seeing so many cyclist using bike lights in my area; only some don't 🥵

In my neighborhood its all the walkers dressed in black. It doesn't matter the time of day, in winter they are hard to see. We do not have sidewalks just a painted lane line and snow on the shoulder.
That's real vice. Noticed the same on local unlit streets here.

E-bike lighting is so important... I got a situation several years ago: a lorry driver warned me with his headlights at night, signalling my Supernova beam was set too high and blinding him; I fixed the lamp position. With my other e-bikes, I use a dedicated front/tail set of good lights for each of them, whatever pain it takes to maintain them charged and put on the bike pre-ride. As a driver, I appreciate seeing so many cyclist using bike lights in my area; only some don't 🥵

That's real vice. Noticed the same on local unlit streets here.
Is it just me or are people getting stupider and stupider? 😶

Seriously, they have Daylight running lights on cars to be 'safe' and people don't think its a good thing to have a decent running light on their ebike?! I am glad I got a better headlight for my bike and I keep it running, really, all the time when I am on the bike...just depends on the setting....cars and traffic really do see you better.

With running lights, I notice the cars give me a much wider berth. It is almost as if they see me earlier and can make adjustments.... 🤔

In fact I was thinking it would be a good idea to have the same red flashing bikes lights in the car in case I am disabled and have to walk on the road at night....

With running lights, I notice the cars give me a much wider berth. It is almost as if they see me earlier and can make adjustments.... 🤔

In fact I was thinking it would be a good idea to have the same red flashing bikes lights in the car in case I am disabled and have to walk on the road at night....
Our neighbor's son was killed while walking along an unlit road at night with no lights on himself. I suppose he could see OK by starlight, but the driver of the car that hit him said he had no idea anyone was there until it was too late.

My wife and I always walk with at least a flashlight, not necessarily to see but to be seen. Our ebikes also have blinking lights all around. Drivers are cooperative once they see us!

I added this bike alarm several weeks ago for some added confidence when I lock my ebike up outside local stores that have no bike racks or other solid objects to lock up to.
It fits under the saddle between the rails. I secured it to the saddle with velcro and a zip tie between the rails over the alarm. Can't see it unless you look under the saddle. It's controlled by a small remote.

I forgot about the alarm when I came up to my bike early on. Just laying my water bottle on the rack set it off in its 'watch it buddy' mode; a couple of quick loud beeps to let you know it's there. If you move the bike again the alarm goes off until someone with a remote shuts it off.

I like it. For under $20, it's worth a look.

Our neighbor's son was killed while walking along an unlit road at night with no lights on himself. I suppose he could see OK by starlight, but the driver of the car that hit him said he had no idea anyone was there until it was too late.

My wife and I always walk with at least a flashlight, not necessarily to see but to be seen. Our ebikes also have blinking lights all around. Drivers are cooperative once they see us!
I always ride out with lights on. While my Vado is equipped with automotive grade lighting, I always use blinking head- and tail-lights on other e-bikes. Bright reflective clothing also helps.
1614665866191.png

Of this group, all members except of the youngest rider (but even a roadie!) wore reflective clothes, helmets, and used daily blinking lights on their bikes. The young man is barely visible in this small photo...

I added this bike alarm several weeks ago for some added confidence when I lock my ebike up outside local stores that have no bike racks or other solid objects to lock up to.
It fits under the saddle between the rails. I secured it to the saddle with velcro and a zip tie between the rails over the alarm. Can't see it unless you look under the saddle. It's controlled by a small remote.

I forgot about the alarm when I came up to my bike early on. Just laying my water bottle on the rack set it off in its 'watch it buddy' mode; a couple of quick loud beeps to let you know it's there. If you move the bike again the alarm goes off until someone with a remote shuts it off.

That works pretty well for me as an extra layer of protection. I have 3 fairly good locks on as well, and I try to attach them each to different posts or bars. Once in a while the alarm makes a loud clicking noise instead of what it's supposed to do when armed, and it then won't shut off. I think it has to do with battery level, but it's inconsistent when testing, so not sure. When it happens I have to open it to shut it off because it sounds "alarming" when it's clicking like a timer.

Parents' nightmare. You can't run their lives, but afterwards "what if" is horrible.

I forgot about the alarm when I came up to my bike early on. Just laying my water bottle on the rack set it off in its 'watch it buddy' mode; a couple of quick loud beeps to let you know it's there.
If you move the bike again the alarm goes off until someone with a remote shuts it off.

I have the same alarm, but I always forget to bring the remote! ;)

I always ride out with lights on. While my Vado is equipped with automotive grade lighting, I always use blinking head- and tail-lights on other e-bikes. Bright reflective clothing also helps.
View attachment 80400
Of this group, all members except of the youngest rider (but even a roadie!) wore reflective clothes, helmets, and used daily blinking lights on their bikes. The young man is barely visible in this small photo...
You guys would be visible for miles in those outfits! Better safe than sorry. ;)

Back