Good Multi-Purpose Mid-Drive Class 3 E-Bike (E-mtb/Commuter) under $6k-ish

Nonickles

Looking for a mid-drive Class 3 E-bike (up to 28mph) that can be used as a mountain bike and commuter with a reliable mid-drive motor. I'd like to stay around $4K but willing to spend up to $6K for the right bike.

Any suggestions are appreciated...

Thanks,
Andy

This is I think the only choice, with respected Brose TF motor (similar to Specialized 1.2s), large battery and proper components.

However, there is a remark to be made. All MTBs are equipped with knobby tyres that are very noisy on-road. To use the Bulls e-bike for commuting, you need to create a second wheel-set with more slick tyres and including brake rotors of the same size. The rear wheel has to be equipped with speed-sensor magnets mounted exactly as they are in the original rear wheel. Once having that, you can replace the wheel sets between your rides.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think a good emtb makes a good commuter and visa versa. I have one of each. I don't want knobby tires on a commuter, and I don't want long fenders, integrated lights, mirrors, and rear rack with panniers on a Mtb. My Haibikes are 2016 speed models, and got both during off season for under $6,000.

Looking for a mid-drive Class 3 E-bike (up to 28mph) that can be used as a mountain bike and commuter with a reliable mid-drive motor.

I'd like to stay around $4K but willing to spend up to $6K for the right bike.

Any suggestions are appreciated...

Thanks,
Andy

Hi Andy, welcome to EBR. I think a Gravel bike might suit your needs for a bike that is capable on the road and trails.

Take a look at the EBR reviews on Gravel bikes to get familiar with the available models that are rated for Class 3 speeds of 28mph.

I would recommend that you check out the Specialized Turbo Creo SL Carbon @ $6,500 and the BD e-Mulekick Express Alloy @ $2,000 - $3,000.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products...tric-flatbar-road-bikes-emulekick-express.htm
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products...s-electric-gravel-road-bikes-emulekick-sl.htm

Lore DS IE Full suspension and bosch hs motor. Raleigh had a sale for $3K a month ago I believe, maybe you can find it in some online retailers.

Last edited:
(A gravel bike is not a mountain bike, FlatSix911).

yeah... and OP wants a mountain bike / commuter bike
I don't think gravel bike is good for either of them 😅

He said he was "Looking for a mid-drive Class 3 E-bike (up to 28mph) that can be used as a mountain bike and commuter with a reliable mid-drive motor."

That is the definition of a Gravel Bike. Where I ride in the California mountains, many fit athletic riders favor Gravel bikes as the best all-purpose machine.

Don't knock it until you have tried it... ;)

Last edited:
He meant a MTB (Mountain Bike). You know, one you can ride single track uphill ;)

I think something may be lost in translation... watch the video to understand the capabilities on single track.

Gravel Bikes are now the fastest-growing bike category and regularly beat mountain bikes in local races.

My next EBike will be a Gravel bike to bridge the gap between road and mountain... I like to ride on the road from my home to the trail and back again. ;)

Last edited:
Maybe get 2 bikes? Here's one for $2.1K for commuting. And you could save ~$3.9K of budget for a legit eMTB, say a Luna X1 (when they come back in stock).

1592022956078.png

I think something may be lost in translation... watch the video to understand the capabilities.
I've added a postscript. It is better to wait for the OP's reply to determine his real needs.

You said "Creo SL". The bike is under-powered and you need to be really athletic to use it both for the commute and on the trail. Same with the Levo SL when we talk All Mountain purpose only. The Specialized 1.1 motor is of 35 Nm torque. The Brose TF is at least 72 Nm. I also could say something about the small battery on the Specialized SL e-bikes ;)

@FlatSix911, as much as I like and respect you, cannot find anything on the gravel bike here:

The gravel bike was conceived as a hybrid between an on-road and an off-road bike because the U.S. sport many thousands of miles of gravel roads...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

I’m looking for more of a mountain bike than a gravel bike the trails are pretty sandy in NM. Maybe even some sort of mountain bike hybrid commuter. I’ll definitely check out all your suggestions and if anyone else has some feel free to pass them my way. I really appreciate it.

Then you won't be able to commute and go on off road trail while commuting... or something.

I think OP is looking for a multi-purpose bike.

The idea of off road capable commuter isn't new.

SCOTT-AXIS-eRIDE-EVO-1-810x540.jpg
What's that @Timpo? Is it the Class 3 e-bike?

In all honesty: If I could turn the time back, I wouldn't have bought both the Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0 (Class 3 commuter e-bike) and Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro (EU Class 1 e-MTB) but would have probably standardised on the Class 3 Bulls e-MTB with double wheel-set...

From his description, if he wants a true trail capable ebike that's class 3, he's probably better off with buying an eMTB that has Bafang mid-drive with extra set of wheels with commuter tires. Some options that come to mind for his price range are Frey AM1000, Frey EX, Frey M600, and Luna X1. I'm sure there are many others, but for the price, I'd probably go with the Luna X1.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

I’m looking for more of a mountain bike than a gravel bike the trails are pretty sandy in NM. Maybe even some sort of mountain bike hybrid commuter.

I’ll definitely check out all your suggestions and if anyone else has some feel free to pass them my way. I really appreciate it.

Good to know... take a look at the article on the Best Class 3 bikes from EBR for some in-depth recommendations.

I like the suggestions so far on the Watt Wagon Commuter Pro and the Dost Kope... both very capable machines.

1592062450506.png

1592062694692.png

Back