Girl Talk

Not every horse whispering Blacksmith can be fully liberated and still get away with it on Girl Talk with a leather kilt.
1657944005196.jpeg

PedalUma, that image of the leather kilt is great! We have this ex-military guy at work who looks like a Hells Angel. Good guy though. So one day he comes out for a ride and he's wearing a leather kilt just like that one above! To weird and funny.

I can no longer toss my leg over a diamond frame style bike. I surely also cannot toss my leg over a dirt bike. It gets even worse with a top box or wide panniers. I ride a motor scooter nowadays. So I guess I'll always be on a girls bike and a girls motorcycle.

Sc00ter... I don't look at a step thru as a girls bike. Why we impose that stigma in the USA is beyond me. Unless the bike is pink and says girl power... I would view a step thru as unisex. Absolutely no judgement from me. Personally wearing leather anything on my bike in the South Dakota hot summer would be an absolute no. Lol.... But I'd definitely give a nod to the guy on the bike trail presenting one. I'll be looking out. 🤣

The Liv just has a shorter reach. It is not built for riders with short legs and long torsos.
View attachment 129184View attachment 129185
Exactly - The differences across all key measurements are very, very, similar.
I wanted a shorter reach and I achieved that (I also changed to a Spank 40mm Riser bar).

In regards to shorter legs , the LIV Standover is 7mm higher than the same sized Giant model.

Bike GeometryFathom Small (old bike)LIV Intrigue Small (new bike)Giant Trance Small (wasn't available)
N/ALOW | HIGHLOW | HIGH
SEAT TUBE LENGTH (mm)405405400
SEAT TUBE ANGLE7376.0° | 76.7°76.0° | 76.7°
TOP TUBE LENGTH (mm)575568 | 568575 | 575
HEAD TUBE LENGTH (mm)1059595
HEAD TUBE ANGLE6865.8° | 66.5°65.8° | 66.5°
FORK RAKE (mm)464444
TRAIL (mm)101.1123.4 | 118.1123.4 | 118.1
WHEELBASE (mm)11401195 | 11981202 | 1205
CHAIN STAY LENGTH (mm)475472 | 472472 | 472
BOTTOM BRACKET DROP (mm)4530 | 2030 | 20
STACK (mm)617608 | 602608 | 602
REACH (mm)386416 | 426423 | 433
STAND OVER HEIGHT (mm)753751 | 760744 | 753
HANDLEBAR WIDTH (mm)780750780
STEM LENGTH (mm)504040
CRANK LENGTH (mm)165165160
WHEEL SIZE27.5+29"29"

Slightly off subject but..... When I rode rocket bikes I worked at a little tuning shop on the side. They sold Arai helmets. A friend was looking at getting one with a dolphin jumping out of the water with a sunset in the background. He wanted it because his Aunt liked dolphins. We were clowning him one day about it and all the sudden this huge built guy walks in, carrying the dolphin helmet! We quickly changed our tune and told him he made a great choice in helmets! Then when he walked out (and outta ear shot) we started clowning our friend again!

Are those stickers PedalUma? That is awesome!

I always mounted that bike by throwing my leg over the seat, as I also found the step-thru to be clumsy. Didn’t have to be concerned by landing on the top tube in a sudden stop though. Did that once when I was a kid, and once was enough. My newest bike does have a high top tube, but it fits me much better, so no worries.
Exactly. My Cube has the trapeze frame (read mixte) and I still swing my leg over it to get on. I find stepping through way more difficult....call it clumsy. I see a step through as a bike for someone that is no longer physically capable of swinging a leg over or their standover height doesn't work with a horizontal top tube.
CN

Last edited:
I took a bike to the bare frame with the fork removed. I replaced all the bearings and spent hours polishing it out. I made it electric with all new components. Then a guy came by to test it and the first thing he did was kick the top tube with the bottom of his shoe and rub the sole back and forth on the paint. Then he did it again.

He put a scratch into it. It is a risk that I took and accept. It is still not cool to do that to someone else's bike. I have been volunteering for Ciclovia today. We legally shut down streets to cars. And there were two nodes in parks connected by the river trail. I was a 'runner' between the nodes with a walkie, making sure everything was going smoothly. It was so much fun. They added extra trains. One stop unloaded riders with 200 bikes. Videos will be posted within 12 hours. It was a blast. Imagine 500+ people on bikes in the middle of a town without any cars. There were some fun bikes. There were almost no high-end road or mountain bikes. Most were transportation bikes. Lots of women participated and there were a lot of families.
Oh, I forgot to mention, those stickers are of the PedalUma, Pet-a-llama. Because he is a llama like that guy from Tibet, he has saffron robes. I am about to test my new theater popcorn maker for the first time.
1658094482384.jpeg

Attachments

• Pop3.JPG
    Pop3.JPG
    261.5 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
I see a Llama and I think Jeff Minter and the Atari Tempest reboots! Whole reason I purchased a Atari Jaguar when it was first released just for Tempest 2000! I also just beat Tempest 4000 on the Switch.

O.k., same dolphin guy above. Names changed to protect the innocent. Bob the dolphin guy worked at my job, and his parents also. His mom worked on the same line as her son. So Bobs Aunt Linda (his moms sister) actually lived around the corner from me. Linda stopped by my house to introduce herself and her "roommate" Mary. They rode matching Honda Rebels. Super cool people. Anyways, I offer to help Linda put a new chain on her motorcycle and it ended up sitting in front of my house chained up waiting on parts. Bob comes into work all angry and confronts me. "I see my Aunt Linda is hanging out at your house! Not cool!" and I'm like "Bob, I couldn't get in them pants if I tried! Quit being stupid. I'm helping her fix her bike." and he's like "Yeah right!" all crappy to me. His mom overheard the commotion and says that Linda is safe at my house and Bobs like "Why?". And his mom goes "Mary is her common law wife." and it took like 10 minutes for it to sink in. Bob almost cried he was so shocked! He never knew! I'm like if Linda and Mary are happy I'm happy. I could care if someones gay. Cool with me. But Bob took it really hard but he never held it against Linda and Mary. I got many more funny stories about Bob.

You should sell some of those Llama stickers to us mortals!

Lovely pic. Any idea what the bike as it sits there weighs? (perhaps sans cane and anything else in the bag with the exception of the battery)

I think any color Ortleibs count ... but the pink ones look great with the grey frame.

Question - do you use the mid step as a true step through or do you swing your leg over like a full frame setup?
I totally swing my leg over. I'm used to it from my other bikes.

My next bike (if I buy another) will be a step thru. I have met the crossbar way too much these last couple of years of riding. You tall guys got it made. :)
Nope. Even at 6'1", dismounting with the wheels on a high spot, or over a low spot where you foot is headed, or in general, wherever the surface is irregular, can be a real test of step over height....

This woman is holding a mid-step Specialized Roll. But remember you do not need to put your foot higher than 11 inches to mount a bike like this if you swing your foot around the back tire as you pull the bike under you. Check the wires on second bike, super clean, and low step.
1658192064300.jpeg

1658192156371.jpeg

Lovely pic. Any idea what the bike as it sits there weighs? (perhaps sans cane and anything else in the bag with the exception of the battery)
BBS01 7.7lbs, 10s4p battery <9lbs, rack and inexpensive AliExpress rack pack 2lbs. I have no idea what the KHS flat foot bike weighs. And I find no specifics on those bikes weight.

Back