Giant SyncDrive Pro 2020 "tuning"

Yes. Review starting here, post 699: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/emtb-options-for-2020.32057/page-35

And yes, the sensor isn't picking up your magnet, so it's either in the wrong place, or not strong enough. The bike will shut down if it can't see the magnet.

Finally, after buying stronger magnet, and electrical tape instead of duck tape, it works...

Keep on pulling after 25km/h

Now just need to adjust the boost using the apps to conserve the battery (thinking to give level 1 a reduction to 75% instead full 100%)

One more thing, before the speed hack, used to connect my Garmin to the bike, now after did the hack had my own sensor on the wheel hub (Ant+) but it seems causing some interference to my Garmin device, like still picking up the speed/cadence readings from the Ride Control one even after removing connection to the device

Has anyone experiencing similar problem?

My own personal experience is I've seen many signs indicating that electric bikes permitted. I have never seen a sign indicating "Class 1 Only".
The California Law stipulates Class 3 must have a speedometer.

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

SECTION 1.
Section 312.5 is added to the Vehicle Code, to read:

(a) An “electric bicycle” is a bicycle equipped with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts.
(1) A “class 1 electric bicycle,” or “low-speed pedal-assisted electric bicycle,” is a bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.
(2) A “class 2 electric bicycle,” or “low-speed throttle-assisted electric bicycle,” is a bicycle equipped with a motor that may be used exclusively to propel the bicycle, and that is not capable of providing assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 20 miles per hour.
(3) A “class 3 electric bicycle,” or “speed pedal-assisted electric bicycle,” is a bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle reaches the speed of 28 miles per hour, and equipped with a speedometer.
(b) A person riding an electric bicycle, as defined in this section, is subject to Article 4 (commencing with Section 21200) of Chapter 1 of Division 11.
(c) On and after January 1, 2017, manufacturers and distributors of electric bicycles shall apply a label that is permanently affixed, in a prominent location, to each electric bicycle. The label shall contain the classification number, top assisted speed, and motor wattage of the electric bicycle, and shall be printed in Arial font in at least 9-point type.

Learning a bit more about eBike Laws for the State of Maine, where I live, which make it clear that once a person tampers with or modifies a conveyance that is classified as an e-bike such that it can exceed the speeds for which it was designed and sold, the conveyance no longer remains an e-bike under Maine law and its users are not afforded the rights and protections afforded to e-bike users. Similarly, Maine’s new e-bike laws make it clear that Class 3 e-bikes may not be operated on any bicycle path unless they are “within a highway or roadway or the bicycle path has been authorized for the operation of Class 3 electric bicycles by the municipality, local authority or governing body of a public agency that has jurisdiction over the bicycle path.”

Fortunately I can easily yank off my BadAssBox when riding on a designated bike path/trail or before taking into the LBS for tuneups. Thanks, I need to ponder the whole derestrict speed issue .

In CA, Class 1 and 2 are allowed wherever regular pedal bikes are allowed, except for off road trails on federal lands, or where specifically restricted.
Class 3 bikes generally are not allowed on C1 and 2 bike paths, but are on general roads and hiways. None require any special licensing or equipment, and are generally consider a 'bicycle'.

Offroad is a whole 'nother can of worms.

California Legal eBike Classifications Guide

Where can I ride my new eBike?

California adopted new laws for legal eBikes in 2015, breaking the bikes down into three classes. The classifications are primarily based on where they are allowed to operate.

AB 1096: Electric Bicycles

This is the law that defines electric bicycles as those with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts. It also creates three classes of electric bicycles based on their motor speed and level of electric assist. Electric bikes subsequently fell into classes 1, 2, and 3.

Important note! CA State AB1096 established a default framework – where a local jurisdiction (city, county, etc.) had not put any form of ordinance in place for electric bikes. A local jurisdiction (city, county, etc.) may enact an ordinance to allow or restrict electric bike usage for their area that may differ from the State default.

Class 1 eBike

A Class 1 eBike, or low-speed pedal-assisted electric bicycles, is equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and that stops providing assistance when the bicycle reaches 20 mph. These e-bikes are legal on any paved surface that a regular bike is allowed to operate.

Class 2 eBike

Class 2 eBikes
, or low-speed throttle-assisted electric bicycle, are equipped with motors that can exclusively propel the bicycle, but that cannot provide assistance when the bike reaches 20 mph. These e-bikes are legal on any paved surface that a regular bike is allowed to operate.

Class 3 eBike

A Class 3 eBike, or speed pedal-assisted electric bicycle, is equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and stops providing assistance when the bicycle reaches 28 mph. Operators of Class 3 e-bikes must be 16 or older and wear a helmet. Class 3 e-bikes are prohibited from Class I multi-use bike paths unless specifically authorized by a local ordinance.

Below is a simple visual infographic for determining what class your eBike falls into:

california_electric_bike_law-2.jpg

Installed new Badassbox 4 to my 2020 Explore E+. Insert battery, slide on speed sensor and swap out old spoke magnet with new supplied magnet. 5 minutes and I'm off and riding, No switches to set, LCD error codes to reset or complicated button sequence to push. Provides pedal assist no matter the speed. Perfect.
Hi there, I’m in Canada and recently just got the Giant explore e+4 gts in small frame size, so do not wish to use any of the chips. How did you get the badassbox shipped to you in North America ?

When I contacted BAB thu factory German Web Store there was no option for shipping to the US. Everywhere else in the world but not the US. When I asked why they apologize about some vague political reason and directed me to their Australian distributor. They have an Aussie web site you could order from with worldwide shipping. Even the US. My BAB arrived in five days.

The speed hack is unlimited. AFAIK as fast as you can pedal. It really screams. LOL
I can only get as many as 120rpm after button combo derestriction, lol. that's the said limit of Yamaha Syncdrive Pro motor. I'd like to have it 200rpm with ease. or it's just below 28mph, sp slow, need at least 40mph

My brother rode 57 km/h (35.5 mph) on the flat on my unrestricted Trance E+ (36-10 gearing). So he pedalled at 117 rpm. I got 52.5 km/h (32.7 mph) on the same e-bike. My cadence was 108. (40 mph is only attainable downhill because of air resistance; I rode close to it; no need to pedal).

My brother rode 57 km/h (35.5 mph) on the flat on my unrestricted Trance E+ (36-10 gearing). So he pedalled at 117 rpm. I got 52.5 km/h (32.7 mph) on the same e-bike. My cadence was 108.
Still cannot find anyone can be above 120rpm. Your top speed is because of gear, not rpm. Need hack the motor raw. I bought the bike not because of the bike brand or anything bike related but because it has a Yamaha moto.

Yamaha have achieved the 120 rpm as the maximum supported cadence after long development of their PW-X2 (SyncDrive Pro) motor. No hack exists to improve it. It is not any limitation by Yamaha, it is all they can achieve. It is not e-motorcycle.

Yamaha have achieved the 120 rpm as the maximum supported cadence after long development of their PW-X2 (SyncDrive Pro) motor. No hack exists to improve it. It is not any limitation by Yamaha, it is all they can achieve. It is not e-motorcycle.
I think the new MY20 syncdrive pro can be above 120 rpm. Giant ads it to be above 120 rpm though mine is MY19, so need a hack or a turbo charge.

IIRC the 2019 X motor supports 110rpm cadence. I dunno. I doubt I can pedal that fast. LOL

Frankly, I can't sustain a really high cadence anyway, so the speed hack didn't really do much for me. Installing a larger chain ring might prove some benefit - I use my MTB on the road too with an extra wheelset clad with road tires - lockout the suspension. A 'dualpsport', so to speak. 19mph comes really fast on a ebike. Being able to get to 22-23 would be a real plus.

IIRC the 2019 X motor supports 110rpm cadence. I dunno. I doubt I can pedal that fast. LOL

Frankly, I can't sustain a really high cadence anyway, so the speed hack didn't really do much for me. Installing a larger chain ring might prove some benefit - I use my MTB on the road too with an extra wheelset clad with road tires - lockout the suspension. A 'dualpsport', so to speak. 19mph comes really fast on a ebike. Being able to get to 22-23 would be a real plus.
Too bad installation of the chainring will void the warranty of motor. Giant said it like the Yamaha motor cannot handle it. I did it regardless, not much speed improvement tbh. Get the motor rpm kingdom high is the key old fashion.

I can only get as many as 120rpm after button combo derestriction, lol. that's the said limit of Yamaha Syncdrive Pro motor. I'd like to have it 200rpm with ease. or it's just below 28mph, sp slow, need at least 40mph
The Yamaha PW-X motor is limited to 120 rpm... If you want to go above 120 you will need the PW-X2 for pro-level support. ;)
You could also go with the PW-X2 45 for higher speed limits... it was designed for use on speed pedelecs up to 45kph / 28 mph.

1603479342668.png

1603486924038.png

Attachments

• 1603479028777.png
    1603479028777.png
    146.2 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
As I do love your posts @FlatSix911, try not to show the "Automatic Support Mode" of the PW-X2, which is just utter rubbish, at least with Giant tuning :) (Been there, done that).

Back