Giant SyncDrive Pro 2020 "tuning"

Just had a dry run on seeing if I could fit the speedbox 2 on my fastroad E EX PRO, didn’t get very far before I can see it is not an easy or quick job. Will try the sensor and magnet relocation and if I like the results I will get the Badassbox, thanks for the detailed posts it has saved me a lot of grief. If anybody does manage to install a speedbox into a fastroad I would appreciate it being posted as I would prefer the correct speed displayed.

I think you will be happy with the easy installation process using the BadA$$ Box.

Last edited:
Installed my speedchip yesterday in my Explore E+1 GTS. All went well and smooth. In under an hour, it was done. Pretty easy IF you got the tools offcourse. Little bit squeezing and pushing to get all the extra cables back in the tube (but nog longer than 10mins.). Happy with it.

I have an XL frame, so maybe size does matter ... :)

Installed my speedchip yesterday in my Explore E+1 GTS. All went well and smooth. In under an hour, it was done. Pretty easy IF you got the tools offcourse. Little bit squeezing and pushing to get all the extra cables back in the tube (but nog longer than 10mins.). Happy with it.

What chip did you use? I'm so happy with the VolSpeed V2! I could ride almost 42 km/h on my Trance E+ Pro yesterday. A friend hit 51.5 km/h and only as little as I limited the speed at 50 km/h :)

I have the Explore E+1 "Pro" GTS in L, same model with SyncDrive Pro instead of SyncDrive Sport, agree that I struggled more with finding the right tools and which screws to remove, rather than with fitting the device

In terms of speed, pretty much the same, I can do 45 km/h on flat without too much effort, never pushed it above 52 km/h but it can probably do more on the smallest gear and with a lot of effort

Great bike overall, I've had it for 1 month and I'm super happy with it

Last edited:
VolSpeed V2 allows up to 99 km/h. Of course, that's just theoretical speed, although already two people "hit the wall" at my 50 km/h setting :D What I dislike about the VolSpeed is it is setting your maximum allowable speed as "Max Speed" in the display. The only downside of that chip.

I got a Giant Explore E+1 GTS. 45km/h with not that much effort. Max was 58km/h. Chip can go up to 75km/h, but my legs can't :)

I got this chip.
What's the name of the chip you got? Your link is to Google Translate, and it doesn't seem to work (times out, several times).

And yes, (from your prior message) I'm sure that size does matter in regards to the frame size and internal space for stuffing a speed chip and longer wires. On my Explore E+1 GTS, with small frame, I gave up trying to install the BikeSpeed RS.

Original link here. But it's Dutch.
Thank you. It looks very similar to the BikeSpeed RS, except that yours isn't fully rectangular... looks like there's a notch or cutout. It might actually be larger overall than the BikeSpeed RS. Hard to tell. But good for you that you got it installed so easily.

Ride in good health!

Hi guys, was wondering if anyine could help a noob out with a Giant Fathom E+2 2020 model.

I ordered a speedbox 2.0 and had a right pig installing it...it never worked so it was removed and swapped for a Volspeed.
Fitted the Volspeed today and that does nothing either.

I'm 100% certain they are fitted correctly.
I'm 100% certain I have followed all.the instructions to the letter.
But the bike still cuts out at 25kmph.

Anyone know what I may be missing here to get it to work please?
Is the 2020 model.even compatible with these speedboxes and does anyone run one on a 2020 Giant?

Thanks for any advice or help and I look forward to reading and learning and hopefully helping others on here in time.

J

Sorry to hear about your speed tuning issues. Have you contacted the seller to confirm they are compatible with the 2020 models?

Sorry to hear about your speed tuning issues. Have you contacted the seller to confirm they are compatible with the 2020 models?
I have yes and the stock answer is 'I've sold loads'
I don't disbelieve him but has he sold loads to Fathom owners with a 2020 model 🤔

I was hoping someone on here with the same motor on a 2020 bike had successfully installed one and could give me some advice.
TBH I wish Id left it alone now as allnobe succeeded in doing is invalidating my waranty on a near as new bike.

Fitted the Volspeed today and that does nothing either.

I'm 100% certain they are fitted correctly.
I'm 100% certain I have followed all.the instructions to the letter.
But the bike still cuts out at 25kmph.
I own a 2020 Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro. VolSpeed V2 works flawlessly. I understand you connected everything OK, it is not possible to make a mistake there. Did you run the software setup as instructed? What messages should you see per instruction manual and what you were actually seeing?

I own a 2020 Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro. VolSpeed V2 works flawlessly. I understand you connected everything OK, it is not possible to make a mistake there. Did you run the software setup as instructed? What messages should you see per instruction manual and what you were actually seeing?
Hi Stefan....it cane with instructions to plug the Volspeed in and then to activate it before reassembling the bike.
I did this with the up down sequencing and it showing the speed and wheel circumference and then going back to zero to confirm.
I them reassembled the bike (worst job ever) and then followed the instructions for activation (sequence of up and down) and this also confirmed in the Ride Control App. I have changed the speeds to everything imaginable and yet it still will.not go past 25kmph.

Im cconvinced the box is being seen as the app displays are as they show in the instructions. Its just as if there is soneyhing else saying 'nope, your staying at 25kmph' I'm honestly starting to believe there is something in these newer bikes that that won't allow these speed chips to work.

Maybe worth mentioning the bike is 3 months old and purchased from a UK seller. I am the first owner of the bike and it has not been touched by anyone else.

Also...thank-you for your help so far....i just hope I can get it working some time soon 🤞

It is down-up-down-up to engage the derestrictor...
You should see 32 km/h at the display.
Done this and changed the max speed values and it still locks out at 25kmph.
Tried all gears and cadences and it refuses to go over that pesky limit.

I've had a friend ask on a FB group and another person had issues with the speedbox 2.0 on his 2020 model and it wouldn't work.
I'm hoping its something Im not doing but I've tried it for hours now and still no joy.

I'm.sure I read somehere that there are now extra sensors in some 2020 models to stop these chips being used but I can't find where I read it.

Its frustrating as I thought the hardest part would be battling to get the cables back into the frame....not getting a box that does anything :(

Hey, but my Trance is 2020 too... And European innit as yours.
Yes sir....mine is a UK model.
Maybe its something to do with the fact mine has no digital readout to see if its active and the app has a code in it to 'defeat' these speedboxes??
It wouldn't surprise.me in this day and age ??

The chip divides the speed by two or more sensor -> controller and multiplies by two or more to the display. It cannot be defeated...

Back