Getting ready to pull the trigger-last questions

Doker44

Hello everyone,

I was waiting until I saw the 2016 Easy Motion line-up before making my purchase. Now that I know there is nothing that is going to blow me away in 2016 I decided to make a purchase from our local authorized dealer within the next 7-10 days. But I have a few questions I was hoping to get opinions on. I stopped in the shop to see what he had, going back for some test rides this weekend. I was looking at the EVO series MTB 27.5, MTB 29, and the Cross.

1) I am 6'2", is the 18 inch frame that comes with the Evo MTB 27.5 automatically to small or is it more of a feel "thing". Unfortunately he has no MTB 29 in stock.

2) He has a brand new 2014 Neo Cross with upgraded (Optional 432) battery marked down to 2500. I dont know much about them because it looks the Neo Cross's were not made in 2015 and it looks like in 2016 they are coming with mid-drive. But he said the one he has is similar to the Evo Cross. Any opinions on this bike and comments about the price.

Thanks in advance. Love this forum and website.

Doker

I bought mine from Propelbikes, formally Long Island Electric. Very happy dealing with them. I bought my Jumper and my wives Jet. both delivered within 5 days.

Hello everyone,

I was waiting until I saw the 2016 Easy Motion line-up before making my purchase. Now that I know there is nothing that is going to blow me away in 2016 I decided to make a purchase from our local authorized dealer within the next 7-10 days. But I have a few questions I was hoping to get opinions on. I stopped in the shop to see what he had, going back for some test rides this weekend. I was looking at the EVO series MTB 27.5, MTB 29, and the Cross.

1) I am 6'2", is the 18 inch frame that comes with the Evo MTB 27.5 automatically to small or is it more of a feel "thing". Unfortunately he has no MTB 29 in stock.

2) He has a brand new 2014 Neo Cross with upgraded (Optional 432) battery marked down to 2500. I dont know much about them because it looks the Neo Cross's were not made in 2015 and it looks like in 2016 they are coming with mid-drive. But he said the one he has is similar to the Evo Cross. Any opinions on this bike and comments about the price.

Thanks in advance. Love this forum and website.

Doker

Doker,

This is what I would do if I were you. Take the battery pack and look underneath. NEO bikes have a manufacturing date on the back. If that pack is made before 2014, ask him to replace the battery pack with a newer one. Also, for $500 more you get lot better bikes from the EVO series.

NEO bikes don't have in-frame charging capabilities. Also, make sure it is a large frame bike for your size!

Check out EVO 29er. He could order it for you. It has batter controller, smoother power draw, lots of extra features like quick release rear wheel, in-frame charging, slot to add GPS tracking device etc.

Have you seen Courts personal MTB bike. I watched half of the video last night. I think that bike looks really nice. I'd look pretty close at that one ,and get on one if you can . The subject of video was about what it' s like to ride an e-bike. As many as he gets on , you know it's got to be sweet.

Hey @David1 which video? Court rode one of the earlier model EMotion bikes for a while when he lived in Austin- is that the one?

Yes it was an E motion. I liked the design. Good for trail and street. Sorry can't remeber the video link , it was about riding an e-bike.

Thank you everybody for the quick responses and advice. I am ready to buy now but cant decide what to buy. Looking closer at the 2016 models, BH is making an EVO mtb 27.5 with a large frame as an option and I see Pedego is coming out with the Ridge Rider which the bike shop said he is getting.

Its going to be hard for me to ask the shop to order a EVO mtb 29 without buying it, which I cant do with out testing it. The shop has the EVO cross in stock which is what I thought I wanted last week. Cool shop just dont have the entire line in stock. Maybe it is better for me to take a step back.

Ravi Kempaiah I think your in NOVA somewhere, I think you have a shop in Arlington called Hybrid Pedals. I live 2.5 hours away. Do you know anything about the showroom there? I would drive up if the showroom was full of all the EVO bike line.

Thanks Doker

Thank you everybody for the quick responses and advice. I am ready to buy now but cant decide what to buy. Looking closer at the 2016 models, BH is making an EVO mtb 27.5 with a large frame as an option and I see Pedego is coming out with the Ridge Rider which the bike shop said he is getting.

Its going to be hard for me to ask the shop to order a EVO mtb 29 without buying it, which I cant do with out testing it. The shop has the EVO cross in stock which is what I thought I wanted last week. Cool shop just dont have the entire line in stock. Maybe it is better for me to take a step back.

Ravi Kempaiah I think your in NOVA somewhere, I think you have a shop in Arlington called Hybrid Pedals. I live 2.5 hours away. Do you know anything about the showroom there? I would drive up if the showroom was full of all the EVO bike line.

Thanks Doker

I suggest you test ride EVO bikes (especially 27.5 and 29er), they are great.
Hybrid Pedals don't have the full EVO line up. I have been there and know the owner, Alan.
EVO cross should give you an idea. But, it all depends on your intended use of the bike.

Doker:

Geometry is one of the most important considerations for a rider. A competent bike shop will measure your inseam and then recommend a size that is closest to best fit. Besides the frame size, the reach to the handlebars also affects comfort and impacts your body angle. You want a frame that doesn't require extreme adjustments to be comfortable. Vendors are deploying rear hubs (Easy Motion uses geared rear hubs), mid-drives, and multiple configurations these days. Every implementation of motor and controller will have a different performance characteristic. The only way to make the right choice is to test ride many different bikes. Use style and looks as your last consideration. The other issue of importance is battery capacity and whether it is sufficient for your needs.

Last piece of advice, buy locally and develop a sound relationship with your local mechanic.

Enjoy the purchase journey and the eventual ride.

Ravi Kempaiah
Thanks for the info.. you just saved me 400 miles of traveling.

86 and still kicking
Thanks for the info. I have been scouring the internet on thoughts of somebody my size riding an 18'" mountain bike. I am thankful to have an electric shop close and I agree with you 100% I need to by local. I know nothing about bikes, much less electric bikes. He carries quality stuff but unfortunately it limits my choices.

@Doker44

18" frame does seem small for a 6'2" guy. However, if you ride and feel comfortable on it, that's all that matters. I'm 5'8" and ride a two 56cm road bikes. Most LBS would never recommend that size bike for me. Just fits me so who cares what the charts say. Just ride the bike for at least 5 miles so you can get the feel for it, before you buy.

Another way you can go is hit a local bike store and ride an extra large, like 20" and then try an 18" frame.. See what you like best

I would never purchase an eBike that you have to charge off the bike.. Just a hassle and more chances for something to break.

@Doker44

An 18" MTB frame isn't considered all that small for real technical mountain biking, something I don't really do anymore. MTB riders like to flick a smaller rigid framed bike around. I'm 6'-2" and 190 pounds and can ride an 18" MTB, with that said I just ordered the Evo 29er that's 19.5" because most of my miles are on dirt rail trails and paved roads. My current ebike is 18" frame with 26" wheels and I do feel it's a little on the small side for me, but not uncomfortable. It's easier to make a slightly smaller bike fit larger than a larger bike fit smaller, better to have it right though.

In the past 6 months I rode as many different ebikes as I could including Easy Motion, but didn't get to ride the Evo 29er. So last month I did the next best thing and noted the measurements from the BH-EM site and sought out 29ers that were close to it. I like 19"-20" MTB bikes with 29" wheels, feels right!

If you're comparing the EVO Cross & 29er (I did as well), the 29er is a huge step up in componentry. I don't have the 29er yet so I've resisted posting on your thread, I can't really give a recommendation, but thought I'd share my process.

Good luck!

JoePah thanks for the advice I am taking the NEO off the table. Between the battery not coming off and as Ravi Kempaiah pointing out the battery maybe old.

J.R. thought I had just made up my mind about purchasing the Cross since I would be doing 70% pavement 30% rail trails but I didnt even think about getting more bang for my buck with the 29.

Thanks everyone!

The Evo Cross is great (my commuter), but you would have to replace the tires for any significant amount of trail riding. They might be ok for a short stretch of hard-packed dirt, but they're squirrely as hell on even a little bit of loose stuff.

Thank you Pastabatman- that is good to know I noticed when I went to the "normal" bike shop on JoePah's advice to try bike frames (helpful tip by the way) that there were better looking off rode hybrid tires to my eye, of course I know nothing about tires and would hate to swap tires right away on the cross....I imagine what they put on there is good.

Thanks everyone so much. I know it seems like I haven't researched this much but I have and although I am a fit 35 year old I haven't ridden a bike since I was 16 years old so I just dont know what will work best. I was into motorcycles until I was involved in a serious accident and since now I have recovered I am going to move to these wonderful electric bikes to fill my void. I read reviews on everything I buy, it can be a 20 dollar pair of ear buds, so getting ready to drop 3000+ on a bike is something I want to get right.

Last edited:
I'm 6 2" (188cm), 174lbs (79kg) and I have the Evo 29er in Large. Things to consider on a 29er are foot clearance for the front tire, which is absolutely not a problem on the Evo, even with full fenders, and stand over / seat height, since the bottom bracket is higher off the ground, and you want a high seat for long legs, you'll need a hydroformed upper tube so you can stand over it more easily. I usually tippytoe on one side in lights etc.

I upgraded the saddle, seatpost, grips and pedals. Saddle for riding comfort, trapezoid seatpost for rear suspension, grips (32mm) for larger hands, pedals for larger shoes (the stock Welgos were too close to the cranks).

The 29er offers more riding comfort on trails due to larger diameter tires (lower attack angle), higher air volume in tires. I ride 2.35" tires with 1,5bar.

The speeds at which ebikes go, you really cant have enough suspension. On my first ride with my new Evo 29er, with 2bar pressure and hard seatpost and saddle, I was actually injured by how hard it kicked my butt.

After 10 months of riding - and I love my Evo - I think my ultimate dream ebike would have 27,5+ ("Boost") or 29+ tires (3"), wide rims, full suspension, full fenders. Ie an electric dirt bike. Something like the Revo line with Brose motor, but with faster speed.

Back