Generic MD 1000 and HD 750 ebike model discussion

Pack Horse
I have the 750 MD and just love it, having a ball on it so far in all conditions,
except blowing 20 mph+ winds, which are always a head wind,
no matter which way I go........LOL

Do you know which programming protocol you have on that 1000?
If the connector from the display that goes to the main wiring harness is triangular,
or house shaped, 5 pin, it is Canbus, the round 5 pin plug is UART etc.

Tia,
Don

Just coming on to report that my MD1000 with the Belt Drive, Rohloff 14-speed internal hub has arrived. (Well, I went to the FedEx Service Center and picked it up 50 miles one way.) I ordered in mid-Dec of 2021 and received it on March 10. I did the transaction on Alibaba directly with Cindy at Changzhou Zhihong Electric Technology. It was a very good experience with good communication along the way. I just got it assembled and this thing is a literal Beast. I will post pictures and answer any questions anyone might have on the bike.
Horaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy! Enjoy!

Pack Horse
I have the 750 MD and just love it, having a ball on it so far in all conditions,
except blowing 20 mph+ winds, which are always a head wind,
no matter which way I go........LOL

Do you know which programming protocol you have on that 1000?
If the connector from the display that goes to the main wiring harness is triangular,
or house shaped, 5 pin, it is Canbus, the round 5 pin plug is UART etc.

Tia,
Don
Yes, it is the DP C18 UART. And is a round.

Hey Guys

I got a question for you,
I have a brand new battery coming to replace the bad battery on my new MD 750,
Is there anything special I have to do, ie; recharge when it get here,
run down to apprx 30% level then charge it etc?

The OEM battery, I have been using has been charged 3 times,
and just about ready for it's 4 charge.

Should I use this new battery until I get 3-4 charges on it,
then charge both at the same time,
to keep both battery approximate equal in use?

Tia,
Don

Hey Guys

I got a question for you,
I have a brand new battery coming to replace the bad battery on my new MD 750,
Is there anything special I have to do, ie; recharge when it get here,
run down to apprx 30% level then charge it etc?

The OEM battery, I have been using has been charged 3 times,
and just about ready for it's 4 charge.

Should I use this new battery until I get 3-4 charges on it,
then charge both at the same time,
to keep both battery approximate equal in use?

Tia,
Don
If it was me I would just put it in the bike and let the BMS automatically balance them when charging.

Guys
Here is some of the back county areas I spend time riding in around here,
over 6400 SQ miles in my county, 90% open to the public,
where you can peddle anywhere you want to go, till you fall over......LOL.

Nothing but Pucker brush, bell worms, sage bunnies, speed goats, Mule deer,
yeller dogs, kit fox and lots of badgers, and some feral horses/donkeys to see.

https://ibb.co/B6H2wGk (clink on photo link)
This is looking East from the Trinity Mtn Range, at approximately 7500' elevation,
at the Humbolt Mtn Range, the highest peak on the left is Star Peak almost 10,000' elevation. The light color strip is I-80 going EB at about 4000'.

https://ibb.co/zHVKZCk (click on photo link)
Looking SW into the Trinty Mtn range, approximately 6000' elev,
as far as you can see is Decomposed Granite Rock and sand trails,
and the road is going down into the creek bottom, for over a mile.
At the bottom the road forks, takes you to the bottom of the ridge line showing
and then up a very steep hill to a road that goes South bound around the ridge top, and the back side of that far ridge line.

https://ibb.co/3z5Pq2k (click on photo link)
This is looking South into the upper end of Lovelock Valley, in the notch between the rounded hills, is the upper end of the valley, valley elevation about 4000',
I am about 6000' in the Trinity Mtn range.

I am waiting on the snow to melt down on the Humbolts, (the biggest white patch) under Star Peak, rode goes thru the middle of that snow patch and angle up to the top ridge line, every July 4th, I go up there for a ride WHEN the road opens up.

Tia,
Don

Thanks Sonder
The Trinity Range is right out my back door, I'll try to post more as I explore other ranges/areas etc. I keep checking with the spotting scope to see if the Humbolt Range snow patch if it has open up yet, that range has some outstanding views and rides, on the lower sides, only 1 road to the top and Star peak, great ride,
very tuff going up, but great coming down, especially when the temps get above 80*
and average slope of 17* for that 7.5 miles of road.

I am attempting to figure out a way to hit the Lava Beds and Blue Wing ranges,
I can't get there from here on 2 batteries! need more battery juice........LOL over 70+ miles 1 way.

Tia,
Don

I'd been enjoying my MD1000 on a cross country road trip...until the battery exploded. Driving down a highway in northern California, with the bike on a rack behind my van, I heard a loud pop, hiss, and plume of white smoke. Pulled over right away, and the driver behind me says my van is on fire. I grabbed a fire extinguisher and ran outside to see the lower battery was spewing flames. It melted its way off the bike (luckily it was the lower battery...) and I was able to extinguish it and push it away before any other batteries caught fire (there was an Aventon Aventure on the rack too) or my camper van, which I have been living in.

I'm not sure why it happened. It was not a hot day, the bikes were covered with a tarp to keep them dry and the road was not rough. I'm working with Leili to come to some resolution. Figured I ought to share the experience. Stay safe. I was lucky I was there when it happened and had a fire extinguisher on hand. Could have been so much worse.

Last edited:
This is worrying as I bought two sets of batteries. When did you buy the bike do you know if these batteries were 21700 or 18650?

This is worrying as I bought two sets of batteries. When did you buy the bike do you know if these batteries were 21700 or 18650?
Bought end of July, received in October I think. Not sure which cells were inside. I bought three batteries with the bike, below is a photo of the other two. The label on the exploded one burned away. I disposed of all of them to be safe, so unfortunately this photo is all I have for you.

spare batteries.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you I cant tell from the batteries but timing wise you may have got the batteries with the faulty BMS that were recalled. If you search by recall there are a number of threads around August and September 2021 discussing the recall. Fires were reported with the Biktrix Ultrabeast that used the same battery as the MD1000.

I bought after the recall in December with 21700 batteries. I confirmed with Leili before buying that my batteries were not faulty.

I confirmed again today that they were not faulty as I had to send in a set of batteries to replace the shell. The replacement was done by FTH but I had to confirm they did not send me a bad battery as a replacement.

Glad you are safe. This really sucks.

That is really the worst kind of news for any and all Yeli (Bolton, Bikonit, Biktrix) MD 1000, HD 750 owners.

Best practice should be to remove batteries when not in use and store them separately in a safe location. There needs to be quick resolution to this issue and ALL resellers of these Leili sourced bikes are responsible. Pandemic related supplier (OEM) quality control problems during manufacturing in China is the cause, 100% replacement is the only appropriate response.

+1 RMK

What is needed is a list of the serial numbers of these battery's,
on my Dec 2021 issued WH MD750, got from Bolton/Calif.

I had these battery's ser # which are 21700 types,
1. WDDLLSL48V15AHL2011300186 note*******
2. WDDLLSL48V15AHL2106200095
3. WDDLLSL48V15AHL2106200217 (new replacement battery for #1 above)

****** This battery was the one that was bad,
wouldn't hold a charge and gave very screwy voltage reading = 131.5V?,
this battery was sent to FTH and they stated that it could NOT be repaired.

I contacted Bikonit and had kept them appraised of what was going on with the battery etc. They (Bikonit) sent me a new battery = #2106200217,
which has been working very well.

Chris1 and drbgonzal have posted serial # of their batteries,
but I can read them, to see if they were of the same manufacture batch as my bad battery etc.

Is there a list of serial numbers that are BAD?
It might be a good Idea to start a list of Battery's ser# to help others that may not know of this problem etc?

Tia,
Don

My serial numbers were confirmed with the supplier Leili to be "good":

WDDLLSL48V15AH:
  • L2107270066
  • L2107270069
  • L2107100492 (replaced because shell did not fit bike frame)
  • L2107100614 (replaced because shell did not fit bike frame)
I am being extra careful, confirming and reconfirming with the users here and the supplier for obvious reasons....

Thank you all

Thank you I cant tell from the batteries but timing wise you may have got the batteries with the faulty BMS that were recalled.

They told me when I bought the bike that my batteries were not under recall. After the fire they've told me that the batteries were all tested and nothing like this has happened before. Apparently they don't think it's a wider problem 🤷‍♂️

Best practice should be to remove batteries when not in use and store them separately in a safe location.

I've struggled with this. What's a safe location if you live in an RV? The batteries will never be far away, wherever you put them. I think I've settled on in the future building a battery box made from a steel toolbox like https://www.harborfreight.com/steel-toolbox-91111.html and welding blanket like https://www.harborfreight.com/4-ft-x-6-ft-fiberglass-welding-blanket-67833.html. Probably drill some holes in the box to make sure it doesn't become a bomb. Hopefully that has a good chance of slowing or containing a runaway battery.

They told me when I bought the bike that my batteries were not under recall. After the fire they've told me that the batteries were all tested and nothing like this has happened before. Apparently they don't think it's a wider problem 🤷‍♂️

I've struggled with this. What's a safe location if you live in an RV? The batteries will never be far away, wherever you put them. I think I've settled on in the future building a battery box made from a steel toolbox like https://www.harborfreight.com/steel-toolbox-91111.html and welding blanket like https://www.harborfreight.com/4-ft-x-6-ft-fiberglass-welding-blanket-67833.html. Probably drill some holes in the box to make sure it doesn't become a bomb. Hopefully that has a good chance of slowing or containing a runaway battery.
Understandable frustration and tough problem to solve if the manufacturer won't step up. A serious business would arrange for secure transportation of your exploded battery remains for a complete forensic examination. Anything less is unconcienciable.

It wasn't due to the battery issue (my 4 batteries all worked fine) but I sold my MD 1000 in mid 2021 because of a failed IGH. I felt like I was completely on my own in dealing with any problem on a fairly expensive product that I used a lot. I almost purchased the even more expensive Rohloff equipped version MD 1000 but came to my senses due to short supply and long lead time.

I've since moved on to other bikes with better build quality, features and customer service. The price was a bit more but in the end, that should not be the most important purchase consideration.

Back