Generic MD 1000 and HD 750 ebike model discussion

I'm experiencing a problem where my pedal assist and throttle stop working intermittently. The display is lit and the batteries are fully charged but suddenly I'm pedaling without any assistance. Sometimes it will restore itself by turning the power off then back on, but not always. I'm sure those of you that own this bike wouldn't want to be without the motor when you are miles from home, but I've had it happen twice now. The cables are fully connected and the bike has 50 miles on it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
The bike comes with a motor cut off when applying the brakes and I believe, when shifting. The motor cut off connection is in line with motor cable near the motor and it needs to be unplugged to remove the rear wheel. I bet that connection is the issue ...

The bike comes with a motor cut off when applying the brakes and I believe, when shifting. The motor cut off connection is in line with motor cable near the motor and it needs to be unplugged to remove the rear wheel. I bet that connection is the issue ...
I'll try that and post the results. Thanks

RMK, can you tell me what is the correct size Suntour NCX suspension seatpost to get for the MD1000?
I'm 25 miles into a ride this morning. I set the fork pressure to 140. Seems more stable in rough terrain. Haven't ridden it in while and I'm remembering how much fun it is to ride. It's so f-ing fast ...

Update: the ride yesterday was just under 50 miles. I Used Sport mode more than ever before and consumed all of the on-board battery power. I was carrying an extra battery (it's in the bag on the rear rack) but didn't use it. The overall handling improved with the higher pressure in the front shocks and that wasn't at the expense of comfort. The money spent on the Suntour NCX suspension seatpost continues to pay dividends. Rode on an old jeep trail with some seriously rutted, steep sections and using high gears and sport mode made it incredibly easy.

Also, I was able to mitigate much of the Bafang Ultra motor noise by down shifting and slowing the cadence. It seems to be RPM related. If I needed further assurance that the move to the SRAM chain drivetrain was a good move I got it yesterday. It is superior to the SA in all regards.

Is this what you are referring to? The top plug with 2 cables is labeled shift sensor and the barrel connector was very loose. I thought tightening would solve the problem but 2 minutes into a ride I again lost pedal assist and throttle. Leili is suggesting I disconnect the brakes and test it that way. What do you think?

Attachments

• 20211108_121637~2.jpg
    20211108_121637~2.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 151
Is this what you are referring to? The top plug with 2 cables is labeled shift sensor and the barrel connector was very loose. I thought tightening would solve the problem but 2 minutes into a ride I again lost pedal assist and throttle. Leili is suggesting I disconnect the brakes and test it that way. What do you think?
No, the inline connector I was referring to was the one you use to disconnect the motor when removing the back wheel. Leili's suggestion of checking the brake sensor at the brakes is a good next step. Sorry but I don't have the bike anymore so I'm relying on my 70 Y/O memory and it's a little foggy.

No, the inline connector I was referring to was the one you use to disconnect the motor when removing the back wheel. Leili's suggestion of checking the brake sensor at the brakes is a good next step. Sorry but I don't have the bike anymore so I'm relying on my 70 Y/O memory and it's a little foggy.
Appreciate your time

RMK, can you tell me what is the correct size Suntour NCX suspension seatpost to get for the MD1000?
Sorry, missed this. It's 30.9mm. I ordered the 27.2mm in the 400mm length as I needed the extra length and also ordered the 27.2 to 30.9 adaptor ...

Since this order I have installed the Suntour on 3 other ebikes. They are a really good bang for buck suspension seatpost.

Sorry, missed this. It's 30.9mm. I ordered the 27.2mm in the 400mm length as I needed the extra length and also ordered the 27.2 to 30.9 adaptor ...

Since this order I have installed the Suntour on 3 other ebikes. They are a really good bang for buck suspension seatpost.
Thanks for the information. Planning to try one.

For anyone following my situation with the motor disengaging, I am closer to a solution but not there yet. There are 2 cables coming off the right brake lever. The thicker one I assume is the hydraulic fluid and has no connectors along its path. The second cable I believe is the brake sensor. When I disconnect it, my brake seems to work normally and the motor no longer disengages. I'm trying to determine why the brake sensor is causing the motor to disengage.

For anyone following my situation with the motor disengaging, I am closer to a solution but not there yet. There are 2 cables coming off the right brake lever. The thicker one I assume is the hydraulic fluid and has no connectors along its path. The second cable I believe is the brake sensor. When I disconnect it, my brake seems to work normally and the motor no longer disengages. I'm trying to determine why the brake sensor is causing the motor to disengage.
It probably is just faulty. I saw some Youtube videos which suggest that might be the problem. Might have to replace. Just the luck of the draw unfortunately. I hope you get it resolved soon and post.

Anyone know if the current MD1000 with Bafang Ultra uses the Canbuss controller. I think Kyle from Bolton mentioned in a video or podcast that the new version Warthog MD 1000's with the Ultra Motor will have a 20mph limit. I'd be ok with it as long as I can still access top speed settings and make changes. Limiting the MD 1000 to the Euro standard 20mph (32km) is unacceptable but I'd be ok with a 28 mph limit but not 20.

Anyone know if the current MD1000 with Bafang Ultra uses the Canbuss controller. I think Kyle from Bolton mentioned in a video or podcast that the new version Warthog MD 1000's with the Ultra Motor will have a 20mph limit. I'd be ok with it as long as I can still access top speed settings and make changes. Limiting the MD 1000 to the Euro standard 20mph (32km) is unacceptable but I'd be ok with a 28 mph limit but not 20.
Mine came with a 37.5 mph maximum ( and 29" wheel) settings that I don't seem to be able to adjust. Not sure about the Canbuss controller.

Mine came with a 37.5 mph maximum ( and 29" wheel) settings that I don't seem to be able to adjust. Not sure about the Canbuss controller.
That is interesting. So you are able to view the settings in the setup menu but can't make changes? I believe a double press of the power button gets you into the settings menu.

Last edited:
The new MD1000's come with a CAN-BUS controller and this is supported by a cable which is connected with triangular shaped ends. There is a speed limitation which fortunately is 60kmh or just a hair over 37mph. Unfortunately, the speed settings cannot be accessed and is set to tire =29 and max speed = 60kmh. From 2021 all Bafang motors use the CAN-BUS protocol. Before that it was UART and then a mix of UART and CAN-BUS, but now all CAN-BUS protocols.
I have been following some articles on my phone and one which pointed out that this speed limitation has been agreed to and signed by all ebike engine manufacturers including Bafang.
However, other articles showed that Mercedes and Van Moof respectively, but especially Mercedes is recommending a higher speed limit than 20mph (probably still in negotiation) but they say that they are making a fast bike. Van MooF on the other hand, sees the need for and is planning to produce a fast bike to get ahead of the curb so to speak. I don't know why they say fast because the speed mentioned will be the same as the aforementioned MD1000 currently. Then later it points out that they will track it using geo-science tech to make sure it goes 20 mph inside city limits but away from the city you will get the 37mph. If these bikes are to used for future transportation (re. in support of climate change and all) then there must be a lobby somewhere in the future.
Some are awaiting a "fix" by a third party or parties (research Eggrider) and like everything else there may just be some workaround given to voluntary option.

Last edited:
The new MD1000's come with a CAN-BUS controller and this is supported by a cable which is connected with triangular shaped ends. There is a speed limitation which fortunately is 60kmh or just a hair over 37mph. Unfortunately, the speed settings cannot be accessed and is set to tire =29 and max speed = 60kmh. From 2021 all Bafang motors use the CAN-BUS protocol. Before that it was UART and then a mix of UART and CAN-BUS, but now all CAN-BUS protocols.
I have been following some articles on my phone and one which pointed out that this speed limitation has been agreed to and signed by all ebike engine manufacturers including Bafang.
However, other articles showed that Mercedes and Van Moof respectively, but especially Mercedes is recommending a higher speed limit than 20mph (probably still in negotiation) but they say that they are making a fast bike. Van MooF on the other hand, sees the need for and is planning to produce a fast bike to get ahead of the curb so to speak. I don't know why they say fast because the speed mentioned will be the same as the aforementioned MD1000 currently. Then later it points out that they will track it using geo-science tech to make sure it goes 20 mph inside city limits but away from the city you will get the 37mph. If these bikes are to used for future transportation (re. in support of climate change and all) then there must be a lobby somewhere in the future.
Some are awaiting a "fix" by a third party or parties (research Eggrider) and like everything else there may just be some workaround given to voluntary option.
Thanks for the comprehensive reply. The future speed limitations that could be imposed by geo tracking seem a bit Orwellian. In my city, the bike trails go in and out of city limits making a city designation arbitrary. I get that speed limits on bike trails are helpful for safety reasons but in city driving on city streets more power preferable (and safer) than less power IMO. A city designated ebike speed restriction seems arbitrary unless restricted to designated bike lanes.

We have Sharing the Road laws here in California that allow ebikes like regular bikes to drive on city streets. There are some restrictions and conditions but the rules are fairly broad. Obeying speed limits and the capability to ride at speeds up to those limits is necessary and ultimately safer.

Hi Everyone, I am new member just joined up.
I have been eyeing up the HD750 and the MD1000. Is there any members from the uk with one? I think my main question has anyone hit 40 miles or more on these as thats what i really want is the range. not fussed about power and speed. thank you in advanced for any comments on this.

Hi Everyone, I am new member just joined up.
I have been eyeing up the HD750 and the MD1000. Is there any members from the uk with one? I think my main question has anyone hit 40 miles or more on these as thats what i really want is the range. not fussed about power and speed. thank you in advanced for any comments on this.
Hi and welcome. @Terry777 was the first to get one of the MD 1000 bikes and he's in Scotland. Haven't heard from him in a while...
I'm pretty sure there are others in GB but can't recall any names. As to the range, you can ride full out throttle only and get to 40+ miles. I found that 50 miles was about all I could get out of the 2 batteries riding normally which for me was assist level 3-4, gears 7-8 pedaling. I just this month ordered the MD 1000 with the Rohloff 14 and a 3rd battery just in case as 50 miles is my preferred riding distance.

Hi and welcome. @Terry777 was the first to get one of the MD 1000 bikes and he's in Scotland. Haven't heard from him in a while...
I'm pretty sure there are others in GB but can't recall any names. As to the range, you can ride full out throttle only and get to 40+ miles. I found that 50 miles was about all I could get out of the 2 batteries riding normally which for me was assist level 3-4, gears 7-8 pedaling. I just this month ordered the MD 1000 with the Rohloff 14 and a 3rd battery just in case as 50 miles is my preferred riding distance.
Thank you very much RMK, And thank you very much for that the information there. Yeah. I hope we will hear from Terry777. It be interesting to hear from anyone in the uk who has one of these ebikes. In the uk we have are speed set up to 15.5mph so I think peddle assistances set to one or two would be okay for that speed. Just a shame there’s no clips of these bikes on YouTube with long trips. But your info has helped out and may have rested my mind a bit on distance.

Back