Generic MD 1000 and HD 750 ebike model discussion

Biktrix sent replacements for the plastic pieces at each end of battery slot. I was skeptical, but proceeded. New parts weren't necessary - removing and reinstalling top plate (the end with electrical connector) solved my issue. Now when I insert the battery and press firmly, it snaps in securely, and the slider engages. The visible gap at the connector end is still wider than that for the lower battery, but the function is fine. -GEF
I think that larger top gap is typical. Glad you have resolved that issue so easily.

BTW, I dropped my bottom battery on the garage concrete floor while removing it. There is a warning sticker on the frame but in my haste ...
I was actually lubricating the lock/latch mechanisms due to stiffness. Much better now and battery was undamaged. I subsequently practiced removing inserting the batteries a bit. Easy once you get the hang of it. The bike is in the garage but I'm going to store/recharge my batteries in the house during cold/hot weather. Even at the discounted Alibaba price they are spendy mostly due to shipping.

I think that larger top gap is typical. Glad you have resolved that issue so easily.

BTW, I dropped my bottom battery on the garage concrete floor while removing it. There is a warning sticker on the frame but in my haste ...
I was actually lubricating the lock/latch mechanisms due to stiffness. Much better now and battery was undamaged. I subsequently practiced removing inserting the batteries a bit. Easy once you get the hang of it. The bike is in the garage but I'm going to store/recharge my batteries in the house during cold/hot weather. Even at the discounted Alibaba price they are spendy mostly due to shipping.
Yup, my top gap is a little bigger than the bottom too. I’ve also checked the skin between my thumb and forefinger when one of them snapped in. Oh man did it fkn hurt! I’m surprised you guys never heard me yelping as far away as you are!
You’re a real lucky boy the one you dropped never cracked or anything. Coulda been costly!
All our snow and ice is away and I think I’ve got my MS on the ropes finally too so might get out tomorrow. Canny wait!! Lol

Lithium batteries are a fire hazard, especially where I live, not bad now but garage gets too hot in summer, so I set up a charging station in the house with a smoke alarm and fire extinguisher.

Lithium batteries are a fire hazard, especially where I live, not bad now but garage gets too hot in summer, so I set up a charging station in the house with a smoke alarm and fire extinguisher.
That’s for sure a great idea! I’ve only seen them ignite on YouTube videos but man they look scary when they go up! Hope you never experience that. 💥

That’s for sure a great idea! I’ve only seen them ignite on YouTube videos but man they look scary when they go up! Hope you never experience that. 💥
The Youtube Lithium battery explosion videos are farcical and not even that entertaining ... Still, not a good idea to smash them to pieces with a hammer or leave them in a car trunk in warm climates. :)

For those of you waiting for your ebike, here is an article that may explain delays.

Major global retailers including Costco Wholesale Corp., Walmart Inc. and Amazon.com Inc., along with their logistics partners, are likely to face continued supply chain disruptions and delivery delays caused by the coronavirus pandemic well into 2021, experts say.

The combination of stockpiling activity ahead of the holidays, a continued surge in goods ranging from electronics to appliances and a lack of air freight capacity has led to heavy congestion at U.S. ports, said Chris Rogers, supply chain analyst for Panjiva, a business line of S&P Global Market Intelligence.

Also problematic is the shortage of empty containers and other equipment needed to haul products away from port facilities, Rogers said.

"There is still a lot of product that is backed up in the system," Rogers said in an interview. "You've got this situation where I think demand for products has increased but the availability of air freight capacity has not and will not for quite a while until passenger air travel gets back to normal."

Amazon, Walmart and Costco declined to comment for this story. Ongoing volatility is likely to continue in the coming months, leading those companies and other retailers to further leverage relationships with suppliers overseas, deploy technology to help predict future demand, and boost inventory levels of sought-after items such as cleaning products and dry grocery goods, experts say. The retailers will be working to gain a competitive advantage as COVID-19 uncertainty remains high along with congestion outside large U.S. ports.

Meanwhile, consumers are likely to wait longer for deliveries and face higher costs for in-demand items as container shipping rates jump and eat into corporate profitability, Rogers said. "It's not like retailers have fat profit margins to start with, so we may see that passed through to consumers as well," Rogers said.

I believe that Biktrix just received a batch of Jugernaught Ultra Beasts and that appears like the best value option for a quick delivery buy. Bolton also has MD 1000/750's and HD 750's inbound and they have the SA IGH Belt Drive MD 1000's while Biktrix has only SRAM 11 speed chain equipped bikes.

My love affair with the SA IGH has hit a bump in the road. I've been doing more trail riding and gears 1-3 are now slipping (4&5 remain stable). I used the documented SA IGH adjustment method but that only made it worse. Then yesterday I took it to my LBS and they said the shift cable was "too short" and they could not adjust it to get those gears working properly. I'm told the only option is to replace the shift cable. I will be having the LBS do that but based upon their work load and my travel schedule not for a couple of weeks. If anyone has a comment or suggestion I'm all ears.

I believe that Biktrix just received a batch of Jugernaught Ultra Beasts and that appears like the best value option for a quick delivery buy. Bolton also has MD 1000/750's and HD 750's inbound and they have the SA IGH Belt Drive MD 1000's while Biktrix has only SRAM 11 speed chain equipped bikes.

My love affair with the SA IGH has hit a bump in the road. I've been doing more trail riding and gears 1-3 are now slipping (4&5 remain stable). I used the documented SA IGH adjustment method but that only made it worse. Then yesterday I took it to my LBS and they said the shift cable was "too short" and they could not adjust it to get those gears working properly. I'm told the only option is to replace the shift cable. I will be having the LBS do that but based upon their work load and my travel schedule not for a couple of weeks. If anyone has a comment or suggestion I'm all ears.
Too short? I thought the cable would stretch over time. I'm still curious on what the fulcrum lever settings do.

Too short? I thought the cable would stretch over time. I'm still curious on what the fulcrum lever settings do.
That's what they said and I had kept micro adjusting (tightening) my cable to keep my goto gears 4th & 5th shifting smoothly until there was no more tightening adjustment left. That probably threw off the lower gears. It's possible that the cable was cut a little short on install. Hopefully I will get a detailed explanation assuming the cable replacement resolves my issue.

The Youtube Lithium battery explosion videos are farcical and not even that entertaining ... Still, not a good idea to smash them to pieces with a hammer or leave them in a car trunk in warm climates. :)
I also can’t see how that can happen as there is about 3” or 4” of extra cable that sticks out after where it attaches to the arm. You’d also think it would stretch but hey who knows? Mine looked like it would need a F1 mechanic to fix it when the cable snapped and everything mashed up. Mine ended up too short too but the cable actually snapped. I replaced mine myself but it’s a real fiddly job. Like REALLY fiddly! There’s a wee nut that locks onto the end of the cable that you have to lock the nut into the selector arm. That only fits one way too as the cable only goes through the nut on one side then nut only fits one way into the selector arm and you have to lock the nut down on the cable mm perfect allowing for everything settling in etc. Apart from that, it’s a breeze bro! Lol

I replaced the whole trigger shifter as it wasn’t right from day one. The wee orange pin on the display that shows what gear your in was off the end of the display but the gears shifted ok. You just had to remember what gear you were in.

I replaced the whole trigger shifter as it wasn’t right from day one. The wee orange pin on the display that shows what gear your in was off the end of the display but the gears shifted ok. You just had to remember what gear you were in.
My fifth bike does that too

Holy s*it, 5!!

I believe the thing that caused my cable to snap was when the bike was already in 1st I sometimes tried to select 1st again due to not knowing I was already in 1st, thus over stretching the cable too much too many times. I didn’t do it often but I think the extra stretch beyond 1st time after time was just too much stress as 1st is obviously the most stressful on the cable so be careful. My sprocket and hub casing on the drive side all popped loose and looked a right mess when it happened. Granted I fixed it myself so couldn’t have been that bad but looking back it was only pure luck I never lost or broke 1 other part of the IGH or drivetrain. That could have been a right problem. Just be aware bro, if it does happen to you make sure nothing gets lost or whatever as it must explode with all that power going through it then something gives out. 👍

I also can’t see how that can happen as there is about 3” or 4” of extra cable that sticks out after where it attaches to the arm. You’d also think it would stretch but hey who knows? Mine looked like it would need a F1 mechanic to fix it when the cable snapped and everything mashed up. Mine ended up too short too but the cable actually snapped. I replaced mine myself but it’s a real fiddly job. Like REALLY fiddly! There’s a wee nut that locks onto the end of the cable that you have to lock the nut into the selector arm. That only fits one way too as the cable only goes through the nut on one side then nut only fits one way into the selector arm and you have to lock the nut down on the cable mm perfect allowing for everything settling in etc. Apart from that, it’s a breeze bro! Lol
Not on my bike. There is virtually no excess shift cable. Maybe 7mm before the crimp. These things aren't made by robots. Hand assembled and my guess is the QA is not detailed nor documented due to their thin margins. I'm not particularly upset about this, just the cost of doing business with the factory in China. The challenge is to find someone competent with the Sturmey Archer IGH. Once a new cable is installed and adjusted correctly, I can handle the cable stretch issues.

On another note, we had some friends over who are considering ebikes. They wanted to look at my Eahora 20" fat tire folder as that is the form factor they prefer. It hasn't been ridden in months so I took it for a short ride around the area and couldn't wait to get off of the thing. After riding great handling ebikes like my Specialized and the MD 1000, the Eahora was just awful to ride. Power was fine but it tends to drift off track and cornering is an adventure. How I put 2500 miles on the thing is a mystery. Of course, the Eahora is a small fraction of the cost of my preferred rides but I can never ride an ebike like that again. I think I'll sell it and let someone get a starter ebike at a cheap price.

Last edited:
The Tannus Armour inserts I ordered were on backorder. I just heard from the dealer and the MSLP price from Tannus has gone up from $45 to $60 each plus shipping (a whopping 33% increase). I think this will be the case for many in demand bike parts and consumables.

The Tannus Armour inserts I ordered were on backorder. I just heard from the dealer and the MSLP price from Tannus has gone up from $45 to $60 each plus shipping (a whopping 33% increase). I think this will be the case for many in demand bike parts and consumables.
Mine should get here today, and yeah, I paid $130 total. At least the fat tire version doesn't require different tubes.

Install tonight, long ride tomorrow, by Sunday I should be able to report if I have another flat.

Also, I just ordered a chain guard from bbgbashguard.com, shipped this morning. These guys make it way easier than Amazon to find the right size, and they're in Portland, so shipping in US should be quick. My chain ring from biktrix is 44-tooth, with 5 holes spaced approx 3" apart. That means it has a 130mm bolt circle diameter (BCD). If your spacing is different, with 4 holes you just measure across. With 5, you have to imagine the circle connecting the 5 holes, and then measure from a hole to the point on the opposite side of that imaginary circle. No, you can't be exact, but these things come in standard sizes, frex 130 and 135mm, so you should be able to tell which your guestimate is closest to.

Last edited:
Mine should get here today, and yeah, I paid $130 total. At least the fat tire version doesn't require different tubes.

Install tonight, long ride tomorrow, by Sunday I should be able to report if I have another flat.

Also, I just ordered a chain guard from bbgbashguard.com, shipped this morning. These guys make it way easier than Amazon to find the right size, and they're in Portland, so shipping in US should be quick. My chain ring from biktrix is 44-tooth, with 5 holes spaced approx 3" apart. That means it has a 130mm bolt circle diameter (BCD). If your spacing is different, with 4 holes you just measure across. With 5, you have to imagine the circle connecting the 5 holes, and then measure from a hole to the point on the opposite side of that imaginary circle. No, you can't be exact, but these things come in standard sizes, frex 130 and 135mm, so you should be able to tell which your guestimate is closest to.
Holy smokes, $130!! Whew!

Holy smokes, $130!! Whew!
Yeah, well, my time is worth it if it saves me patching a tube every 2 or 3 rides. I haven't ridden my bike since my 5th flat tire (over a 3-week period), so without this $130, I wasted thousands on the bike itself. Thicker-walled thorn-resistant fat tubes are hard to find if they exist at all.

Back