Generic MD 1000 and HD 750 ebike model discussion

Hey guys, my batteries are sitting at 5% right now. Is there any advantage to running them all the way to zero before I charge them?

PS: Like RMK, I had to use granny gear to climb my last hill with the battery so low.

Last edited:
...I got Biktrix' swept-back "A-bars" so my posture's not that forward.

About that, I have a partially-stripped bolt hole in my handlebar stem. When coming down a steep trail today, my handlebars gave way. I know it's because part of my weight got transferred to the bars, and the sweep back acts as a lever. I just notified Biktrix and hopefully they'll send me a new stem, but if the same thing happens I may need to switch to straight bars. Biktrix kindly installed all the controls on the A-bars for me, but they included the stock, straight bars in the box (along with the stock seet post that they replaced with the dropper).

Hey guys, my batteries are sitting at 5% right now. Is there any advantage to running them all the way to zero before I charge them?
I read running them dry is a bad idea for battery longevity. Charge away ...

BTW, did you try running the tire pressure low, 10lbs or even 8 in the sand?

Thanks for the battery advice.

On tire pressure, no I didn't even think about it, and I carry a battery-powered pump so I can do exactly that and refill when I'm back on-road. The Tannus inserts are supposed to allow as low as 5. I feel stupid now.

One more thing, I ordered a tail-light from Amazon, the Meilan X5. I turn it on when riding by day, but then it goes out. When the sun sets, it senses the dimishing light and comes back on automatically. It's supposed to act as a brake light as well which I can't confirm, but I can confirm it works as a turn signal, and it has lasers to draw meter-long lines beside your rear wheel. You can't see them at dusk but they work well when it gets really dark. For 35 bucks I think I got a bargain.

One more other thing, I like the biike better since I removed the fenders. The front was especially useless, as the frame castches the spray anyway. The rear interfered with my dropper post, but because the rear rack is solid instead of a grill, it keeps the sand from flying up my back.

Thank you for all the information posted on here and the private conversation with Terry with regards to UK customs charges I am today starting the ordering process.

Is there anything else anyone would recommend that should be included with the bike order? E.g. A duplicate charger or an extra battery.

Thank you for all the information posted on here and the private conversation with Terry with regards to UK customs charges I am today starting the ordering process.

Is there anything else anyone would recommend that should be included with the bike order? E.g. A duplicate charger or an extra battery.
Hi and welcome, as to factory direct accessories: the front and rear basket/rack are not always included in the price and both are well made and have good utility. The front and rear fenders are cheaply made and require modification. I'm happy with the rear fender after my modification but the front fell off during riding and is now useless .

An extra battery or two along with a second charger are the best solution for range anxiety. I have 3 batteries and 2 chargers and although it's hardly essential, I'm considering a 4th battery. Good luck and I hope delivery times have improved.

Last edited:

Welcome, Viewlix. Plenty of accessories I can recommend aftermarket*, but as for Leili, make sure they're sending you 5-amp chargers, not something slow. Also, while the light isn't good enough for night riding, it's better than nothing and having them wire it up for you will simplify your upgrade when the time comes. If they'll install a dropper post for you, that saves you having to figure out the internal cable routing yourself. I definitely with I had more batteries. And because fat tire innertubes are getting hard to find, ask Leili to throw in a spare from their stock. I second RMK on the fenders - they're crap and you don't the front at all and don't need the rear if you have the rack.

*Aftermarket recommendations, from above posts include Tannus Armour inserts, Meilan X5 taillight, Rhinowalk 3-in-1 "50L" pannier set (I put 50L in quotes because it actually holds about ¾ that, a bit over 30L), and handlebar horns because this thing goes far enough that you'll want to change grip position for comfort. Cloud 9 saddle; they have a variety of styles but for about $30 I got one with memory foam instead of gel. Dropper post if Leili won't sell you one, or at least a suspension post. Mine is the kindshock exaform 861, not fancy but gets the job done affordably. And of course your choice of mirror for safety and lock for security. And cable ties, because nothing designed to attach to a bike frame will fit this one.

EDIT: A lock won't guarantee your bike doesn't get stolen, so get insurance from Markel. It seems to run about 10% of bike's price, annually.

EDIT again: About thos tire inserts, the fat tire version sells out as soon they re-stock. Go to the site, get on their notification list, and act immediately when you get notified. You want to have the inserts in hand when your bike arrives.

PS: And while I'm on the subject, when the bike arrives, control your enthusiasm. If you don't have a stand, get someone to help hold the bike while you remove the rear wheel (to put the Tannus Armour in) and again when you're ready to put the wheels back on, assuming you don't want scratches on your first ride. In addition to mounting the rack, basket, handlebars, and lights, check every other bolt before you ride it. I threw a bolt off my rear brake because I skipped this step, kinda scary when it happened. Double-press the info button on the display to review the settings

Last edited:

PS: Like RMK, I had to use granny gear to climb my last hill with the battery so low.
No benefit at all buddy. Get a charge in them ASAP. You shouldn’t really let them drop below 20%. Every now and then should be ok but I wouldn’t make a habit of it. The technology in these batteries seem happiest between 20% & 80%, although you can go above or below if needed just not every day all day kinda thing.

I’ve had mine as low as 5psi and they were good. I wouldn’t drop much more at all though.

I’ve had mine as low as 5psi and they were good. I wouldn’t drop much more at all though.
Yes, with the Tannus Armor Inserts that GEF and I are running, low tire pressure is much less of a problem hence their run flat claim. That said, his is the Biktrix version and he doesn't have the Maxxis Minions so his side walls might not hold up as well under low pressure.

As for the battery charging, I always recharge mine to 100%. Most of my charging is from 15-30% remaining but with these longer rides I plan on taking all 3 batteries and they will be pretty much depleted (5%). How that affects their longevity is TBD. I'm going to do a 60 mile ride this week so that will give me more data. I may need that 4th battery. I bought a small padded tripod softcase that fits on the back rack and it will hold 2 batteries and a charger for emergencies. That's an extra 20lbs so I may have to drop some weight to compensate. :)

Last edited:
That said, his is the Biktrix version and he doesn't have the Maxxis Minions so his side walls might not hold up as well under low pressure.
Correct, my tires are CST and they're embossed with a recommendation of 10-30psi. With Tannus inserts I should be able to go lower than 10, but not sure by how much, so I figure to try 8 tomorrow when I'm off-pavement again. Took a break today because though the bike feels like a fountain of youth when I'm on it, the consequence of hours on trail is that I feel stiff next day.

Keep going GEF, I found that the recovery time shortened as I rode more and these bikes give us a good reason to ride. With rain in the Tuesday-Wednesday forecast, I'm off on another long (50+mile) ride tomorrow.

For information for any future purchasers I asked about including a dropper post as suggested by GEF.
The quoted price is $90 for a DNM model and looking at the forwarded photo it looked like it was cabled outside the frame. They have just replied that it is internally routed so I have decided to go with it will be easier to replace one already inside.

Just paid half of the full amount so I am officially starting the long journey that you have all travelled. Hope to join you in the future with some photos.

Last edited:
After riding this large, heavy, fast ebike on public roads and bike trails there are 2 essential pieces of kit for safety (yours and others). A rearview mirror and a bell/horn. If you're riding without these, you are not riding safely.

After riding this large, heavy, fast ebike on public roads and bike trails there are 2 essential pieces of kit for safety (yours and others). A rearview mirror and a bell/horn. If you're riding without these, you are not riding safely.

Have you also seen the rear radar in the Garmin Varia RTL515 rear lights? The reviews from the users state they would never go back to riding without them as it spots the car way before you would with a mirror.

Have you also seen the rear radar in the Garmin Varia RTL515 rear lights? The reviews from the users state they would never go back to riding without them as it spots the car way before you would with a mirror.
Thanks, that looks like a good option but a little spendy. I was taught to drive many years ago (old school method) and scanning my mirrors is an ingrained habit so my simple analog bar end mirrors work great for me. :)

My gear shifter is stuck at 5, anyway of fixing that?
Is it just the shifter display and it is changing gears? If so, both @Terry777 and @tykoehn1 had this problem. My bike had an overly long shift cable housing and that may be the reason for the resistance in down shifting and could cause the failure. I believe Terry ordered a replacement shifter. Frank Xu is no longer at Leili so if he was your rep, good luck with getting a replacement part from them.

Back