Generic MD 1000 and HD 750 ebike model discussion

Nice one, where are you? I was surprised mine arrived so quickly after it was shipped. The wait is brutal so I feel your pain. It’s worth it though. Hope it turns up soon. 👍
I'm located in Maryland. It's going to be a tons of fun!

You are a brave fellow Terry. Hope it all works out for you. Did you get the SA IGH? You are the first to get one here on EBR so some pics would be good as photo evidence of their existence in the wild ;-).

I think you are correct about the default pass code for the Bafang display. That was the one used on a couple of videos dealing with the settings.
Yes I got the SA IGH, it seems ok although I was only able to get a couple hours in. It’s dark so early now in the uk and freezing too, I’ll be back out tomorrow though for sure, weather permitting! I’ll get a few photos up tomorrow morning, it’s jammed in the corner charging just now. You all know it’s a big bike, be prepared for a shock. They are huge! I didn’t realise I was first to get it here on the site. If any of you want to know or see anything specific just shout and I’ll do my best to help. I know what it’s like when you’re waiting on it turning up. There’s a couple to show the are real! They are out there in the wild. 😆

Attachments

• D0A23D07-93D3-4310-8DC8-02A92DA94A57.jpeg
    D0A23D07-93D3-4310-8DC8-02A92DA94A57.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 449
  • 5362E216-A261-4BF0-BEE9-73E6A7F56EC1.jpeg
    5362E216-A261-4BF0-BEE9-73E6A7F56EC1.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 439
  • 00A77B97-CCC1-4E6D-B19B-ECA1BF0841CD.jpeg
    00A77B97-CCC1-4E6D-B19B-ECA1BF0841CD.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 463
Last edited by a moderator:
Just while I remember. I installed “Tuffy“ tyre liners too as I was assembling it, 4XL is the size you need. The MAXXIS that come on it have a extra tough sidewalls so I thought tyre liners for the tread area should make me as puncture proof as possible. I took the front wheel off and installed the rear without taking the wheel off. It was pretty easy. The tyres were also pretty flat out the box so have a decent pump to hand. The plastic mudguards/fenders aren’t up to much, I’ll be getting other metal after market jobs. The racks look real nice though. Proper strong metal and good quality too. I’ll keep posting things I think you’d like to know so you may be able to get stuff ahead of time. I’ll put decent photos up tomorrow.

Just while I remember. I installed “Tuffy“ tyre liners too as I was assembling it, 4XL is the size you need. The MAXXIS that come on it have a extra tough sidewalls so I thought tyre liners for the tread area should make me as puncture proof as possible. I took the front wheel off and installed the rear without taking the wheel off. It was pretty easy. The tyres were also pretty flat out the box so have a decent pump to hand. The plastic mudguards/fenders aren’t up to much, I’ll be getting other metal after market jobs. The racks look real nice though. Proper strong metal and good quality too. I’ll keep posting things I think you’d like to know so you may be able to get stuff ahead of time. I’ll put decent photos up tomorrow.
I would be interested in what fenders you end up putting on. I didn't order fenders with mine. I think I read for the first charge of a battery it's important to charge to 100% to make sure the cells are balanced. Then from there I will probably charge to 80% the majority of the time.

I would be interested in what fenders you end up putting on. I didn't order fenders with mine. I think I read for the first charge of a battery it's important to charge to 100% to make sure the cells are balanced. Then from there I will probably charge to 80% the majority of the time.

I think that’s for old lithium technologies. The newer stuff has balance stuff built in. The full charge is to open the cells up to their full potential. If your storing them your better to store at a 60 - 80% charge. If your using it regularly full it up. I’ve used a couple cable ties which seem to have helped the fenders. I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks for the photos Terry. It is great to see someone actually riding the MD1000. I got both racks and fenders and I'm wondering if the fenders were rattling hence the zip ties? If so, I will most likely remove them as I'm very rattle averse. I am also adding a suspension seatpost (Suntour NCX) and it has a smaller diameter than the standard so I am using a shim. Looks like the rear fender attaches to the seatpost so that might be a bit of an issue for me.

How's it shifting and have you adjusted the SA IGH cable?

Thanks for the photos Terry. It is great to see someone actually riding the MD1000. I got both racks and fenders and I'm wondering if the fenders were rattling hence the zip ties? If so, I will most likely remove them as I'm very rattle averse. I am also adding a suspension seatpost (Suntour NCX) and it has a smaller diameter than the standard so I am using a shim. Looks like the rear fender attaches to the seatpost so that might be a bit of an issue for me.

I got the suntour too with the shim. Have it on my regular bike right now.

I have the Kinetkt 2.1 on my Specialized Turbo Creo road/gravel bike and it's great. When I test rode the MD 1000 it was very comfortable but IMHO, you can't be too comfortable ...

I have the Kinetkt 2.1 on my Specialized Turbo Creo road/gravel bike and it's great. When I test rode the MD 1000 it was very comfortable but IMHO, you can't be too comfortable ...
I was debating over the kinetkt. Still might get it. Let me know what you think about the two when you try it

If anyone wants close ups if certain parts or whatever just let me know.

To be honest the attachments that hold fenders on are really floppy and the front anchor point isn’t great, I was actually going to complain about them. 4 zip ties though and they are solid and give excellent protection from spray. The racks are both great quality, no problems with them at all. I have that same seat post on order myself. There are a couple different size shims with the rear fender so you’ll be fine that way. I’ll get more photos of them up and you’ll understand better what I mean. I’ve adjusted the gear selector cable a tiny bit and I think I’ve got it dialled in 100%. I’m going to have to get them to send me a new selector lever as the wee pointer is stuck on gear 5 but I think it’ll be an easy fix. All in all I am happy with it so far. It really pulls when you pin it! It’s a smooth delivery but you can tell it’ll pull like a train when required. I’ll be out again tomorrow so if I find anything worth posting I will. One thing worth noting! I’m 5”10 and average size and I’ve jammed my nuts twice on the top bar when I stop leaning forward too much so it’s a tall bike just to stand over. I’d say 5”10 is the smallest size rider that can be comfy on this bike. It’s also heavy so standing straight up it’s no problem but a smaller rider would meed to lean it over at a stop and it’s quite heavy the more you lean it over if that makes sense. I’ll try to get the Mrs to photo me on it to give a bit better perspective. You don’t feel this when you’re moving though, it’s very nimble to ride otherwise.

That's great feedback, thanks! Maybe they should call it the Ball Buster?
I'm 6'5", 210lbs so for me it is size appropriate. I am curious about the range of the dual battery setup. I'd like to get 60 miles on a charge but realize it is cargo load and riding style dependent.

At 6’5” I think you might just have the inner leg clearance I could have used yesterday! Lol
I did 18 miles yesterday and it dropped from 100% to 82% I’m sure it was, I returned the same road I went out so what I went down I came up on the way home. That included 5 or 6 decent steep hills maybe half a mile to a mile long and a couple easy hills maybe 2-3 miles long and loads of on the flat “giving it the beans”! 95% of this was throttle only, my legs are real weak. I’ve used an electric wheelchair the last 6 years to get around. Even when I did peddle I was just ghost peddling. I’m around 76kg and had a back pack of maybe 5 kg tops. I think this’ll improve with a few charge cycles. I’ll keep an eye on it and keep you updated when I get a couple of decent runs in.

Another thing while I remember, if your going to get mirrors I’d get the ones that plug into the end of the handlebars and the mirror sits below the bar. The handlebars have very little real estate at the ends so the mirrors have to sit closer to the centre which results in your arms being in the way of your rear view. If you look at the mirrors on mine I’d advise not getting that type or get ones that’ll stick out further than mine do to get past your arms. Just some user feedback.

At 6’5” I think you might just have the inner leg clearance I could have used yesterday! Lol
I did 18 miles yesterday and it dropped from 100% to 82% I’m sure it was, I returned the same road I went out so what I went down I came up on the way home. That included 5 or 6 decent steep hills maybe half a mile to a mile long and a couple easy hills maybe 2-3 miles long and loads of on the flat “giving it the beans”! 95% of this was throttle only, my legs are real weak. I’ve used an electric wheelchair the last 6 years to get around. Even when I did peddle I was just ghost peddling. I’m around 76kg and had a back pack of maybe 5 kg tops. I think this’ll improve with a few charge cycles. I’ll keep an eye on it and keep you updated when I get a couple of decent runs in.
Those are some very encouraging range numbers Terry. Even with my extra weight (+40lbs) I should be able to get to my 60 mile (97km) range goal with some pedaling. I agree with your mirror suggestion for practical use purposes as well as mounting space on the handlebars. I use the bar end mirrors on my existing ebikes and have one waiting for the MD 1000. If you ride on streets or trails with any traffic, a left side mirror is an essential piece of kit. Of course, left side mount only applies to those of us who drive on the correct side of the road ... ha!

Those are some very encouraging range numbers Terry. Even with my extra weight (+40lbs) I should be able to get to my 60 mile (97km) range goal with some pedaling. I agree with your mirror suggestion for practical use purposes as well as mounting space on the handlebars. I use the bar end mirrors on my existing ebikes and have one waiting for the MD 1000. If you ride on streets or trails with any traffic, a left side mirror is an essential piece of kit. Of course, left side mount only applies to those of us who drive on the correct side of the road ... ha!
What mirror are you going to use?

One other thing Terry. When browsing your photos I noticed this image. When I showed my wife she said OMG, "he looks like Batman" referring to the reflection in the mirror. It is especially funny because a couple of friends have been calling the black MD 1000 the Batbike!
Batman on his Batbike.jpeg

Ha ha, well spotted! I never noticed that, my Mrs and mum are having a chuckle just now when I showed them. I FaceTimed my mum today when I was out and she said that was all she could see too. Lol

Back