Full suspension with Belt drive - why ?

Bolton Bike's brought one in and it instantly sold out, it had a chain, I really respect his Ebike knowledge, but he said it was the best and most expensive bike he has rode or sold, but the new carbon bike Watt Wagon is bringing in with a chain is even way better than that one. His had the standard Ultra Bafang, not the way better one all WW will have very soon.

Bolton Bike's brought one in and it instantly sold out, it had a chain, I really respect his Ebike knowledge, but he said it was the best and most expensive bike he has rode or sold, but the new carbon bike Watt Wagon is bringing in with a chain is even way better than that one. His had the standard Ultra Bafang, not the way better one all WW will have very soon.

You mean a full suspension commuter with Bafang ?

I think the only carbon bike WW makes is the Travalanche and that bike's been available for awhile now. Also, the Bafang Ultra motor is the same for all vendors. The difference with WW is the custom controller Archon X1 instead of the default controller that comes with the motor.

Bolton FS ebike with Bafang Ultra looks like a base Frey AM1000 with upgraded front fork and a large mark up.

I think the only carbon bike WW makes is the Travalanche and that bike's been available for awhile now. Also, the Bafang Ultra motor is the same for all vendors. The difference with WW is the custom controller Archon X1 instead of the default controller that comes with the motor.
I am aware of all this, custom tuning is done by other vendors as well, I was really suprized to read Ravi essentially slagging this motor in another thread, many boutique Ebike builders that custom tune this motor say it's the best out there once properly upgraded, basically they took Bafang best motor and made it way better.
The only thing I can think of is Ravi is now building his own bike and has chosen another path to differentiate himself from WW.
Not a bad thing, but a proper debate between Ravi and Pushkar is bound to happen sooner or later, and I look forward to it.

Last edited:
I am aware of all this, custom tuning is done by other vendors as well, I was really supersize to read Ravi essentially slagging this motor in another thread, many boutique Ebike builders that custom tune this motor say it's the best out there once properly upgraded, basically they took, Bafang best motor and made it way better.
The only thing think I can think of is Ravi is know building his own bike and has chosen another path to differentiate himself from WW.
Not a bad thing, but a proper debate between Ravi and Pushkar is bound to happen sooner or later, and I look forward to it.

I respect what Ravi is doing. There are many options in the market and for all practical purposes, both motor styles (hub / mid) are more than capable of doing 70-80% of all use cases. There are always outlier scenarios e.g. MTB will almost always be mid drives for thermal purposes. However for a vast majority of use cases, it is a personal preference. Both platforms offer torque, high speed cruising etc. I love mid drives for weight distribution / low CG, better handling.

I have chosen Bafang because that is a platform I understand well, I have ridden it, and have not been able to break it. Most importantly (with the OE partnership with Bafang), I can support my customers with minimal issues. Now with the new Archon controller, the Ultra provides a level of experience (power / torque) that cannot be replicated in the market (even with unlimited TQ version). I am not saying everyone needs 2300W, but IMO... why not have the option to have it if you need it? :cool:

I started WW because I only wanted to sell what I would personally ride. I think of it as giving a present / gift to someone. I only gift something that I would have no hesitation in using myself. I want to stick to that. I am sure Ravi feels this way too. He is building something that he would ride every day.

I believe we both are trying to solve / address that in our own way. Options are always great for consumers - quality and reliability matter of course. However over and above everything, customer support matters the most for smaller shops like mine. Customer service is a core tenet for WW, and I probably spend more time than I would like to admit :)

@pushkar I believe you have selected a segment of the market that appreciates fine craftsmanship and functionality and is willing to pay for that, because the value proposition is overwhelming on point. @Ravi Kempaiah looks to be meeting the demands of the market that is more widely accessible. Both have your place, and we should all be glad there are options like these. So, thank you both.

So I don't really understand the strong feelings some here seem to have around wanting a full suspension bike, at least for a commuter. Mountain bike I can understand, but I can't see taking something this heavy out to do any real mountain biking unless it's being used as an extremely low range dirt bike, and there are already great electric dirt bikes available for the same price or less.
Nevertheless I am guessing something like suspension on this would work, depending on if those who want such consider it to have enough travel.

I am pretty sure with that design there would be no stretch of the belt so it should work with one. I don't know if such a design is patented, if so pushkar might have to license or buy fames from them. Might cost to much but could be a path forward.

One of our customers already has a custom soft tail design with chain. I havea Full Suspension fat tire with chain in test.

What we don't have a full suspension / soft tail with belt. Though I am close to getting belt on the soft tail. Once the tests are done, I will make that available as an option.

Edited : for clarity.

Last edited:
I already have a soft tail design. I also have a Full Suspension fat tire with chain.

We dont have a full suspension / soft tail with belt. However I am close to getting belt on the soft tail. Once the tests are done, I will make that available as an option.

Do you think you'll be able to add a belt to the fat tire full suspension frame you have according to what people posted on this thread?

Do you think you'll be able to add a belt to the fat tire full suspension frame you have according to what people posted on this thread?

To a soft tail like indicated above, yes.

To a traditional full suspension, not at this time.

One of our customers already has a custom soft tail design with chain. I havea Full Suspension fat tire with chain in test.

What we don't have a full suspension / soft tail with belt. Though I am close to getting belt on the soft tail. Once the tests are done, I will make that available as an option.

Edited : for clarity.
Option for the superbike?

I just stumbled upon the review of a new bike on the EBR front page, seems like they have a belt drive with a rear suspension on their new model:

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 9.36.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 9.37.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 9.41.36 PM.png

So I don't really understand the strong feelings some here seem to have around wanting a full suspension bike, at least for a commuter. Mountain bike I can understand, but I can't see taking something this heavy out to do any real mountain biking unless it's being used as an extremely low range dirt bike, and there are already great electric dirt bikes available for the same price or less.
Nevertheless I am guessing something like suspension on this would work, depending on if those who want such consider it to have enough travel.

I am pretty sure with that design there would be no stretch of the belt so it should work with one. I don't know if such a design is patented, if so pushkar might have to license or buy fames from them. Might cost to much but could be a path forward.

A beautifully integrated soft tail design with a Titanium frame... what's not to like? Just add a nice mid-drive and perfection will be achieved. ;)

1588304689773.png

1588304749152.png

so is that allowing frame to flex?

Yes... ;)

This insatiable quest is the origin and continued evolution of the Mountaineer YBB. The legendary Moots YBB micro suspension soft-tail design has 1-1/4” of pivotless rear travel to take the edge off small hits and not over complicate your life. With ample 29’’ tire clearance, 120mm travel fork, and a modern yet balanced geometry, the Mountaineer YBB continues to keep us hunting for new trails and the perfect new lines on our old favorites.

Back