Frey EX Is Finally Ready...

Tell me about it.... I ain't going to lie, I couldn't wait so I done a lap around the block with no power :) , bike feels good but it would feel much better with some electricity running through it!! haha

A UPS van pulled up outside my house this morning too, got all excited, and then watched as he went to a neighbors house :rolleyes:

I hope that 15-20 day estimate is somewhere near right, and it'll arrive any day now but the tracking info is just rubbish... I'll be pissed if it hasn't been posted yet!!

I'm going to ask Cecilia if its normal to have no update on it after so long.
just had a quick chat with Stevieman who received his bike a couple weeks ago, he mentioned the batteries were stuck for 16 days then wallop 2 days after that they were at his house, that sounds promising :cool:

That sounds good to me! I'm even annoyed today is a Sunday so not a delivery day haha I'm counting each one...

Boris has locked us down again too, but I think delivery companies should be fine... I think they're classed as essential workers... If anything it might be a bonus as the roads will be empty so might get here sooner :)

What you were saying about replies from Frey ring true as well... I thought it was just me, everyone else raves about how good they are at replying... They reply alright, but yeah definitely selective hearing at times.. A bit like when I was asking about when the bike would be delivered (after 4 months), and she would talk about the batteries. I'd ask again about the "bike", she'd just repeat same thing again about the batteries... I wasn't getting anywhere fast... As you know, in the end the batteries wasn't even posted early anyway...

Fingers crossed they turn up soon!

I think the first day of lockdown will be Thursday, they still have to vote on what happens (but there will be a lockdown for sure) luckily we can still go out for exercise so we can still go out on the bikes :cool:.

yeah, they can be quite annoying at times Frey, I paid extra for moto x tyres to be put on and it came with smart sams, I can't be arsed saying anything, it's far too much effort to be bothered.

once the batteries arrive I wanted to take it to a proper shop to check and tighten everything then set the suspension for my fat arse. this can only be done if the batteries arrive Mon or Tues

see what happens :cool:

I think the first day of lockdown will be Thursday, they still have to vote on what happens (but there will be a lockdown for sure) luckily we can still go out for exercise so we can still go out on the bikes :cool:.

yeah, they can be quite annoying at times Frey, I paid extra for moto x tyres to be put on and it came with smart sams, I can't be arsed saying anything, it's far too much effort to be bothered.

once the batteries arrive I wanted to take it to a proper shop to check and tighten everything then set the suspension for my fat arse. this can only be done if the batteries arrive Mon or Tues

see what happens :cool:

2 question Dave:

1. How are you feeling?

2. Are the batteries always sent separately, or is that just to the UK?

Hey Taylor, I am feeling much better now thanks for asking :cool:

Everyone I have spoken to in the UK regarding the batteries they have arrived separately, I think this is due to them being classed as 'dangerous goods'

The thing that doesn't make sense is when you first order a Frey bike you pay half the cost upfront (i paid all of it) because the buyer has already paid half or all then why aren't the batteries just sent out to you? or at least posted a month before the actual bike is ready? I have brought this up with Frey but didn't really get an answer back.

Tomorrow will be day 20, and the tracking hasn't changed at all. I have a sneaky feeling the batteries won't turn up... I asked Cecilia about the lack of updates for the UPS tracking number, and she said she would speak to the forwarder about it, but no reply yet... Also asked about the Hungray connection, and well, as you'd guess I'm none the wiser, point ignored.

To add insult to injury, I was missing a battery cover from my frey bike and it arrived today... Delivery guy on my doorstep with a big "frey" box... and it had just a small plastic battery cover inside.... gutted. I was surprised how fast it turned up given everything else has taken forever.

I ordered a new lock last night on Amazon at around 10pm, and it arrived 10am this morning... if only ordering from China could be as easy and quick.

Its the not the wait so much, its the not-knowing that really bugs me.

Anyways, talking about locks... My normal bike insurance company does not insure this bike so I've been looking into security.

Mounting locks to this bike isn't too easy... Especially if you have a dropper seat post... There isn't really anywhere suitable to mount a D-Lock easily. The second battery takes the space between the frame, and the rear suspension limits you too.

So I've opted for a Abus 6500/110 Bordo Granit X-Plus, its a foldable type lock that I've strapped to the top bar between my legs, it comes with its own holder which is pretty nifty.... It's not the strongest lock in the world but I wanted something permanently mounted on the bike that I could use to pop into a shop and it should suffice for that... I've been guilty of leaving my bike outside in the past "because I'll only be a sec", and that turns into 5mins or more... leaving me standing in a queue nervous of the fact my bike is still outside, unsecured!

I got the large 110cm version, if you get the smaller one, you might be able to attach it to the seat post, between the suspension arms. The larger size is a bit too big to do it.

Knowing it isn't the strongest lock in the world, I've also purchased a Urban Security UR6 Disc Lock, which has a built in Alarm... for £38 from Amazon these are great, I should have purchased one earlier. Its small, really loud and its built well. It should offer some deterrence coupled with the other lock. I'll definitely hear it in a shop put it that way!.... Plus, I've also purchased one of those cheap remote control alarms that comes with a fob to activate/deactivate it... They're only about £13... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073VKMJDH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Just to add to the noise factor.

And for other times, I'll take my other Abus Granit Extreme 59 D-Lock along as well... I thought a mixture of locks should at least be a nuisance for the thief, plus with the alarms going off too....

I'm also looking into GPS trackers 😁 But most are quite expensive, and the cheap ones are a bit of a con "sign up for credits" type thing.... Still undecided if I'll bother really...

If anyone has ideas and suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Anyways, talking about locks... My normal bike insurance company does not insure this bike so I've been looking into security.

Mounting locks to this bike isn't too easy... Especially if you have a dropper seat post... There isn't really anywhere suitable to mount a D-Lock easily. The second battery takes the space between the frame, and the rear suspension limits you too.

So I've opted for a Abus 6500/110 Bordo Granit X-Plus, its a foldable type lock that I've strapped to the top bar between my legs, it comes with its own holder which is pretty nifty.... It's not the strongest lock in the world but I wanted something permanently mounted on the bike that I could use to pop into a shop and it should suffice for that... I've been guilty of leaving my bike outside in the past "because I'll only be a sec", and that turns into 5mins or more... leaving me standing in a queue nervous of the fact my bike is still outside, unsecured!

I got the large 110cm version, if you get the smaller one, you might be able to attach it to the seat post, between the suspension arms. The larger size is a bit too big to do it.

Knowing it isn't the strongest lock in the world, I've also purchased a Urban Security UR6 Disc Lock, which has a built in Alarm... for £38 from Amazon these are great, I should have purchased one earlier. Its small, really loud and its built well. It should offer some deterrence coupled with the other lock. I'll definitely hear it in a shop put it that way!.... Plus, I've also purchased one of those cheap remote control alarms that comes with a fob to activate/deactivate it... They're only about £13... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073VKMJDH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Just to add to the noise factor.

And for other times, I'll take my other Abus Granit Extreme 59 D-Lock along as well... I thought a mixture of locks should at least be a nuisance for the thief, plus with the alarms going off too....

I'm also looking into GPS trackers 😁 But most are quite expensive, and the cheap ones are a bit of a con "sign up for credits" type thing.... Still undecided if I'll bother really...

So Mart, you have the bike, but no batteries?

Yeah bike finally came through, really happy with it, but the batteries are taking longer than hoped... Should be any day now

Tomorrow will be day 20, and the tracking hasn't changed at all. I have a sneaky feeling the batteries won't turn up... I asked Cecilia about the lack of updates for the UPS tracking number, and she said she would speak to the forwarder about it, but no reply yet... Also asked about the Hungray connection, and well, as you'd guess I'm none the wiser, point ignored.

To add insult to injury, I was missing a battery cover from my frey bike and it arrived today... Delivery guy on my doorstep with a big "frey" box... and it had just a small plastic battery cover inside.... gutted. I was surprised how fast it turned up given everything else has taken forever.

I ordered a new lock last night on Amazon at around 10pm, and it arrived 10am this morning... if only ordering from China could be as easy and quick.

Its the not the wait so much, its the not-knowing that really bugs me.
yes day 20 + 16 weeks arrrgghhh, i spoke to Stevieman who said the battery tracking for his bike was stuck in Hungary for ages then all of a sudden boom they were at his door, there is some hope but this doesn't take away the anxiety.

at least you got the cover, I was surprised at the quality of the cover for the EX it has been CNC machined for sure and clips in quite well, is yours not the same?

the not knowing is mentally exhausting

my bike will be in my house and it won't be getting left anywhere even for 10 seconds, I live in Oldham, and its a shothole, never ever give one chance to anyone that could pinch it, insure your bike as something else take a pic of a mates bike if they want proof, once it's gone it's gone at least you will get paid out something,

another option is to put it on the house insurance if you can.

had a look at GPS they prob would work tbh to a degree, other option when riding your bike is to buy a tazer from Alibaba and strap it to the bike haha (disclaimer i don't condone this option) :cool:

yes day 20 + 16 weeks arrrgghhh, i spoke to Stevieman who said the battery tracking for his bike was stuck in Hungary for ages then all of a sudden boom they were at his door, there is some hope but this doesn't take away the anxiety.

at least you got the cover, I was surprised at the quality of the cover for the EX it has been CNC machined for sure and clips in quite well, is yours not the same?

the not knowing is mentally exhausting
Yeah I ordered a cover but it didn't come with the bike... Told frey and they sent one by air freight, it arrived a few days later! The cover isn't too bad actually, its pretty sturdy and better than I thought it was going to be! I've stuck on one of those "Rockshox" stickers on it to bling it up a bit too lol... I think I'll change the bottle holder tho as its blue, but a different colour blue to my bike so clashes a bit. I have a black one I might swap it out with.

If I sound disappointed at all its because the box didn't have batteries in it :D

Yeah I ordered a cover but it didn't come with the bike... Told frey and they sent one by air freight, it arrived a few days later! The cover isn't too bad actually, its pretty sturdy and better than I thought it was going to be! I've stuck on one of those "Rockshox" stickers on it to bling it up a bit too lol... I think I'll change the bottle holder tho as its blue, but a different colour blue to my bike so clashes a bit. I have a black one I might swap it out with.

If I sound disappointed at all its because the box didn't have batteries in
the bottle holder I got was blue but my bike is matt black, that won't be going on.

I have bought some RRP mudguards for the front and rear but they have turned up one matt black the other is gloss FFS, apparently this is how they are made? wtf is that about, nothing about this bike is easy.

my bike will be in my house and it won't be getting left anywhere even for 10 seconds, I live in Oldham, and its a shothole, never ever give one chance to anyone that could pinch it, insure your bike as something else take a pic of a mates bike if they want proof, once it's gone it's gone at least you will get paid out something,

another option is to put it on the house insurance if you can.

had a look at GPS they prob would work tbh to a degree, other option when riding your bike is to buy a tazer from Alibaba and strap it to the bike haha (disclaimer i don't condone this option) :cool:
Haha yep I'm from Luton mate so, well, yeah, it has a reputation :) I've watched quite a few times as the local scalawags eye up my bike hoping for an opportunity. It only takes a second and its gone!

I'm going to keep looking into insurance options but yeah, most don't want to know. Anything over 250w, and not limited to 15.5mph is a no go.

The taser might be the best option! :)

Sounds a bit strange one being matt and the other gloss! More like a f*&k up by whoever picked it at the warehouse. :oops:

I ordered Mudguards from Frey but they're not up to much.... in fact the front won't stop anything, not sure what the point of it is tbh... and the rear, well, I ordered pretty much every option, including a rear rack... Didn't really need one, but it was $20, I thought I'd never find one cheaper so I ordered it. It came fitted to the bike, so I need to remove it at some point... The rear brake light is fitted to the rack too, so if I remove it, I'll need to replace the rear brake light.... A job for another day... I just want to test it out for now.

But it does mean I need new mudguards. I was looking at Mudhuggers, mostly based on what I've seen others doing, but I'm not complete sold on them yet so still looking around. Saying that tho, you can get rear mudhugger that is huge, and will easily cover the back wheel on this bike. So that's probably what I'll end up doing.

Nothing about these bikes is easy! I'm not going to lie I was starting to wonder if the universe wants me to have this bike given its been hell to get hold of.... had a feeling I'll get the batteries, go for a ride, and bang.... I'll be sitting on my arse saying to myself, yep, I was right, me and this bike wasn't meant to be... Hopefully I'm wrong but the wait is killing me and I normally think of myself as quite optimistic lol... I was when I ordered anyway.

Sounds a bit strange one being matt and the other gloss! More like a f*&k up by whoever picked it at the warehouse. :oops:

I ordered Mudguards from Frey but they're not up to much.... in fact the front won't stop anything, not sure what the point of it is tbh... and the rear, well, I ordered pretty much every option, including a rear rack... Didn't really need one, but it was $20, I thought I'd never find one cheaper so I ordered it. It came fitted to the bike, so I need to remove it at some point... The rear brake light is fitted to the rack too, so if I remove it, I'll need to replace the rear brake light.... A job for another day... I just want to test it out for now.

But it does mean I need new mudguards. I was looking at Mudhuggers, mostly based on what I've seen others doing, but I'm not complete sold on them yet so still looking around. Saying that tho, you can get rear mudhugger that is huge, and will easily cover the back wheel on this bike. So that's probably what I'll end up doing.

Nothing about these bikes is easy! I'm not going to lie I was starting to wonder if the universe wants me to have this bike given its been hell to get hold of.... had a feeling I'll get the batteries, go for a ride, and bang.... I'll be sitting on my arse saying to myself, yep, I was right, me and this bike wasn't meant to be... Hopefully I'm wrong but the wait is killing me and I normally think of myself as quite optimistic lol... I was when I ordered anyway.
yeah it does look like a cock up from wherever they were sent from, there going on anyway as I can't be arsed sending anything back.

have a look at the RRP ones i didnt want them to big and these look quite good tbh, the mudhugger rear knocks me sick it looks odd imo.

the bike still needs setting up, i have had to buy a shock pump, the brakes need bleeding and setting up, i was hoping the batts came so i could then take it to a shop before lock down and get it all done but thats out of the window now lol,

the stand is massive as well but i have left this on as it works for the time being, i can see that being ripped of at some point though.

see if you can insure the bike as something else, end of the day if it gets nicked how are they going to know what motor was in it?

last question of the night -

does anyone have prices for extra batteries posted? the EX internal battery or the piggyback EX battery?

Back