Frey CC

thanks for the practical post .

i think I might acquire a spare cassette ,forgot to order it with the bike but did get a chain and deraiileur hangar with it as spares .

is frey the best source for a cassette?

thanks for the practical post .

i think I might acquire a spare cassette ,forgot to order it with the bike but did get a chain and deraiileur hangar with it as spares .

is frey the best source for a cassette?
I got my spare parts from Amazon, other online stores and locally in my area if they had stock but some didn't have parts like for my brake pads, had to go to a specialized ebike store and paid premium.

I charged my CC today and an planning on a good am excursion. So far, have under 200 miles on the beige beauty, but with the weather changing to pleasant, I am going to get some riding in...

So I've put around 4,500km on my CC so far and here's a long term update. Ride mostly on flat bike paths.

- Changed cassette due to wear on the lowest cog resulting in chain skipping
- Battery charger failed (Frey sent a replacement)
- Shifting issues, replaced cable worked for a while but still having issues (considering wireless option)
- Schwalbe Super Moto-X holding up well still
- Brake pads replaced (Magura MT5 9.C)
- Rear brake light cable came loose
- Rear plastic fender rubbing on tire
- Starting to hear motor noise, might need to re-grease?

Other than that very reliable and pleasure still to ride.
2700+ miles on mine. No chain stretch yet per my chain checker. For the most part I ride at lower PAS (250-500W) and keep the chain lubed. Only real stress on chain is when I ride up my 700' hill at the end of the ride at roughly 750W continuous.

Shifting is finicky at times, more so in lower cogs. It seems to shift more reliably if I disengage the clutch.

Love the Moto-X tires. No flats, smooth ride, plenty of tread left.

Replaced the pads after a year. Bought some cheapo aftermarket pads from china on ebay. Haven't tried them yet, will do it when my second set wears out.

Have some motor noise as well. Also noticing some vibration in the pedals. Was worried it might be the cassette but only seems to manifest when I'm cruising at higher speed and using generous PAS. Lowering PAS to keep pedals and chain taut seems to make it go away. Was thinking it might be the motor needing lube. Or perhaps it was always there and I never noticed.

Overall very happy with the bike and look forward to riding it every chance I get.

2700+ miles on mine. No chain stretch yet per my chain checker. For the most part I ride at lower PAS (250-500W) and keep the chain lubed. Only real stress on chain is when I ride up my 700' hill at the end of the ride at roughly 750W continuous.

Shifting is finicky at times, more so in lower cogs. It seems to shift more reliably if I disengage the clutch.

Love the Moto-X tires. No flats, smooth ride, plenty of tread left.

Replaced the pads after a year. Bought some cheapo aftermarket pads from china on ebay. Haven't tried them yet, will do it when my second set wears out.

Have some motor noise as well. Also noticing some vibration in the pedals. Was worried it might be the cassette but only seems to manifest when I'm cruising at higher speed and using generous PAS. Lowering PAS to keep pedals and chain taut seems to make it go away. Was thinking it might be the motor needing lube. Or perhaps it was always there and I never noticed.

Overall very happy with the bike and look forward to riding it every chance I get.
Ya every place I called for brake pads didn't carry the Magura's I needed except this high end e-bike only shop near my area so bit the bullet, but my next one will probably be the Kool-Stops, I was told they were a good after market manufacturer for half the price. I asked Frey and seems they've changed their brakes on new CC's which uses pins (https://prnt.sc/1vi5mtu) mine are magnetic.

I forgot to mention one of my pedals almost fell off while I was riding, I'd heard a noise and couldn't identify the problem thinking it was the motor but luckily it was just the screw from the pedal that was loose and just had to tighten but it actually fell after I stopped riding. Probably my fault for not checking all the nuts and bolts before riding.

Last edited:
186 miles on CC as of 11am today. Took her out for about an hour. 10 miles or so is my guess. Flat, bikepaths and sidewalks. Tried to avoid the street as much as possible. 75 degrees F and sunny. Our weather has returned. Went from 100% battery to 89%. Not too much throttle. Mainly in PAS 2 or 3 and seemed to be going 17-20 flatground. Picture is overlooking Palm Springs. PS Airport tower in the background.

Attachments

• CC today.jpg
    CC today.jpg
    557.7 KB · Views: 216
Have done 600km on mine now .........did my standard 23 km ride a couple of days ago and used 10% of the battery ,I carefully managed the Pas,ie when going down hill reduced it to zero .did a lot of pedalling with 0 pAS while on the flat ,it was windless as well.which is unusual for Wellington on a spring day.

Wondering the newer size Dorado 21700 48v/25ah fit in the same slot of the 17.5ah its the same length size?

Funny how we all have these massively powerful bikes and all float round on Pas 0,1,2 I'm the same lol..

I suppose we have the power if needed but I rarely use it lol.

Maybe legal bikes ain't so bad after all..

Funny how we all have these massively powerful bikes and all float round on Pas 0,1,2 I'm the same lol..

I agree. I just got back from an hour or so pleasure ride and was in PAS 1 or 2 most of the trip. Way too much power for my riding style.

My latest bike is a 500w geared hub bike. The 2 bikes previous to that bike are both rated well over 1000w (yes I still have them). One is a geared hub, the other a mid drive. The 2 more powerful bikes can justify their weight (67 and 70lbs) with the power (and battery) needed to push this 300 lb butt up some pretty steep hills I encounter while riding in Florida. Here in Michigan, there are a few hills but they are much smaller, so I was wondering if I could get away with less power AND maybe less weight.

The answer? Oh hell yes!

The 500w bike weighs just 55lbs. including a battery that is plenty for my purposes (14ah or so). The OEM controller, like most other geared hub controllers, left a lot to be desired from a "rideability" standpoint, so it was VERY easy to justify replacing it with an inexpensive aftermarket KT controller. The waterproof KT-22a controller and LCD display were less than a hundred bucks together, and pretty easily replaced the old controller and display. Why am I mentioning this modification? Because it can feed nearly 1000 watts into that 500w motor, making for some pretty "sporty" (real sporty actually!) performance, and it does this without adding 1 ounce of weight to the bike.

Granted, you need to keep in mind that kind of power is only going to be usable for a few seconds before it starts overheating the motor. This is plenty of time to cross a busy street, catch up with your riding buddy, or climb a short hill.

So back to the question of justifying that big motor and the huge/heavy battery required for that motor to give it any range. Necessary? How often do you use/need that big power? Does the idea of a bike that's 15lbs lighter sound appealing? Your call.... -Al

My latest bike is a 500w geared hub bike. The 2 bikes previous to that bike are both rated well over 1000w (yes I still have them). One is a geared hub, the other a mid drive. The 2 more powerful bikes can justify their weight (67 and 70lbs) with the power (and battery) needed to push this 300 lb butt up some pretty steep hills I encounter while riding in Florida. Here in Michigan, there are a few hills but they are much smaller, so I was wondering if I could get away with less power AND maybe less weight.

The answer? Oh hell yes!

The 500w bike weighs just 55lbs. including a battery that is plenty for my purposes (14ah or so). The OEM controller, like most other geared hub controllers, left a lot to be desired from a "rideability" standpoint, so it was VERY easy to justify replacing it with an inexpensive aftermarket KT controller. The waterproof KT-22a controller and LCD display were less than a hundred bucks together, and pretty easily replaced the old controller and display. Why am I mentioning this modification? Because it can feed nearly 1000 watts into that 500w motor, making for some pretty "sporty" (real sporty actually!) performance, and it does this without adding 1 ounce of weight to the bike.

Granted, you need to keep in mind that kind of power is only going to be usable for a few seconds before it starts overheating the motor. This is plenty of time to cross a busy street, catch up with your riding buddy, or climb a short hill.

So back to the question of justifying that big motor and the huge/heavy battery required for that motor to give it any range. Necessary? How often do you use/need that big power? Does the idea of a bike that's 15lbs lighter sound appealing? Your call.... -Al
Lately I've chosen to drive my 50lb Espin Sport (fenders removed) vs the 1000 lb Frey CC. It really is a heavy machine...

May not be the lightest but the bike is a joy to ride and super stable at speed. Cruising down the long hill at the start of my ride I have to remind myself that going 40+ mph isn't going to end well if a tire blew, but if I'm not looking at the display and pumping the brakes to return to sanity I wouldn't know how fast I was going. Of course, I marvel at how light my sub 50 pound bike is to lift, same as how I used to marvel at how light my 25 pound acoustic bike was, but for a city ride or light off road I'm taking my CC any day.

The answer? Oh hell yes!

Mind posting a link to where you purchased? Appreciate it.

I would endorse Tom's comments ,

Its ultra stable (the CC),on paved or gravel surfaces,at what ever speed one chooses.

Money well spent in my opinion ,have done 1000 km now and cant wait to ride it every day

Thanks Frey!!

PS ,have lost 30 kg in weight during the process of owning it and another e bike I already had..............

Mind posting a link to where you purchased? Appreciate it.

Is there a source for Magura brake parts ,I need the rear brake lever mounting clamp...no New Zealand agent !!!!!!!

Passed 1300 km yesterday ,enjoy riding it almost every day.

Has a had a scraping noise and a squeal from the front brakes since new .

My mechanic says one of the brake pistons isn't retracting properly ,the solution is to try and free it ,if it wont free up it will be 260 NZD for a complete new caliper .

Goes in on Wednesday for the repair .

Will post again when I get it back.

Back