Frey CC

If you live in Masterton in New Zealand you are in danger of growing the sixth finger ................if you add toes most of us can count to 20

Just been mulling over getting another battery ,say alternate them daily ,should have ordered another one with the bike.

I have asked frey if they will sell me a battery case only as they wont freight batteries at the moment.

Theres a few companies here that supply cells and make them up into packs .

Has anyone else done this?

You don't need a second battery IMHO. I guess it depends on how long your daily ride is. I charge my battery to 80% after my ride (best for long term battery health to not leave it in a fully charged state for very long, and only do so to balance cells or immediately before a long ride when you need the range). My daily ride is around 15 miles which consumes ~4 volts (25%) of battery with some steep hills. When I get home I plug in the charger and set timer on my phone for 1 hour and 30 minutes (shorter if I used less battery on my ride) which will charge it back to 75-80% (~51 volts). If you find you need more range, I would consider investing in the aftermarket controller (30% improvement in range) or tuning the motor (e.g. FREY smooth tune) which may also help with range before purchasing a second battery.

I am pretty familiar with battery technology from Ni Cad,NMH and latterly Li Po ,through model air craft flying ,I have also run an electric car for the past 4 years.

NIssan ENV 200,pretty amazing but theres lots of range anxiety with it !!!!!!( Its a small van )

I need to find some one locally who ca n help me set up the tune for the bike ,I try to add throttle as smoothly and gently as I can bearing in mind the motor torque.

I change gear as carefully as I can but still get a big snatch in some gears ,which makes me wince ,it has the gear sensor but I always back pedal when I change ,it has the SRAM 11 speed system.

Is there something more I can do to avoid this ?

I was almost coming to terms with having to charge the battery after every ride .

My standard ride is 20 km.....

Will see what the Frey reply is ,it might be an interesting excercise to go through.

thanks for the prompt reply.

I ordered an extra bat for each bike with my Frey order. We (I) Tow my grand kids behind the electric bike in town and out of town.. I plan to swap and charge so that I do not have to wait for the battery at any point when I tow... The kids have a blast and No interruptions are allowed ..

When not in use I plan to keep around 50% charge and inside the house

ruddleto, I'm not sure why you think you need a second battery? 20km you should get at least 2, if not 3 rides before you recharge. The only reason I recharge after each ride is 80% ensures I can detour anywhere I want on a whim and double my ride yet still have plenty of battery without worrying about fighting voltage sag on the ride up the 750' hill to get home.

Use ful replies crikey ,soon you will be making sheep jokes ,NZ used to farm 40 million sheep,the main income being wool and meat .Heaps fewer now as the wool market tanked .

Our sheep meat is fantastic now though .

A few years ago tourism exceeded agriculture as the main income earner for the country .....under covid ,thats tanked though

Interesting trivia ...........

Just did my usual 20 km ride nearly the same route as always but detoured via some quiet suburban streets to avoid the 100km/h headwind (62mph )wild and gusty ,pretty normal for Wellington in Spring.

Had 75% battery left when I got home and used quite a lot of throttle on the way back.

Went through lots of puddles and gravel sections.

Degreased and cleaned the chain and rock and rolled it .

Theres hope for me yet !

I noticed after sustained voltage sag (hills, or in your case, heavy throttle) it can take a while for the display to recover, especially if you're monitoring % instead of voltage, so you may (or may not) have more battery than you think after a ride. Tends to be more noticable in the lower ranges.

That seat dropper post is a good practical extra allows a lower seat position for getting on the bike and can be raised at the touch of a lever for riding height.

anyone replaced the headlight for a brighter one yet?

Amps/ Volts of existing? I think I might want to upgrade when the bike get here or is it bright enough? Wife bike is about to ship..
Side note.. Anyone know the BEAST headlight amps/volts? Planning a head.

Thanks

Heard from Frey .......Grace gave me a gentle reminder about voiding the warranty if I use a battery not supplied by them........fair enough I thought .

They are willing to sell me a battery case 55 USD plus Fed Ex which she is checking for cost .

She said it doesnt come with the BMS.........

It must be to do with the difficulties associated with freighting Lithium batteries ,may be even the sea freight option has dried up.???????

Any one know?

I have a Frey supplied seat dropper post with the seat supplied by Frey as well.

I would like to get another seat to fit the post ,big wide and sprung is what I would like .

Has any one got any suggestions?

Did my normal 23k ride this morning,started with 100% battery charge and got home with 86% left, after a 15 minute rest while I cleaned the bike and lubed the chain,it read 90% remaining.

It was fine weather with a light head wind(southerly ) on the out ward leg and a wind change on the home leg with a slightly stronger head wind ,took about 1 hr 15 mins all told .

I am very pleased with this ,maybe the battery stabilises after a few charges ? On this basis it might do more than 200 km between charges given gentle use of PAS and more pedal than throttle !!!

I did one big squirt of throttle to see if it would do 60 kph after de restricting it .....not quite ,I chickened out at 55 kph,slightly crouched, max eco PAS and pedalling hard ,it was still accellerating though,probably would have done it if I had kept my nerve!! slightly down hill for this.

I found a bigger touring type gel seat locally ,at a fantastic cycle shop in KIlbirnie Wellington,Burkes Cycles ,who have been in business since 1920 ,still owned and run by the same Burke family.

The 60 km round trip to get it was well worth while .

Managed 3x20 km standard rides on 1 battery charge ,after recovery ,it had 28% remaining,on a calm day I would consider doing another 20 k ride with out recharging.............as I thought total range would be 80 to 90 km on a charge..........not bad !!!!!!!!!!!

Have accumulated 500km on my cc as of today..............gets better with a bit of use ,gears change really smoothly ,gear sensor works perfectly ..have had it covered in mud lots of times .

I have had my money;s worth already !!!!!!!!

So I've put around 4,500km on my CC so far and here's a long term update. Ride mostly on flat bike paths.

- Changed cassette due to wear on the lowest cog resulting in chain skipping
- Battery charger failed (Frey sent a replacement)
- Shifting issues, replaced cable worked for a while but still having issues (considering wireless option)
- Schwalbe Super Moto-X holding up well still
- Brake pads replaced (Magura MT5 9.C)
- Rear brake light cable came loose
- Rear plastic fender rubbing on tire
- Starting to hear motor noise, might need to re-grease?

Other than that very reliable and pleasure still to ride.

Back