Frame size. Need help.

John Dombrowski

Anyone out their riding an extra large frame? I am 6' tall and kind of in between frame sizes of a large and extra large. My Specialized Roubaix Comp is an extra large (size 58) that I bought because I got a great deal on it because they had it new laying around for about a year and wanted to get it off the floor. It fits pretty good but when I got fitted for the large size Turbo they said it fit me pretty good also. But, they cant seem to find a large frame anywhere right now but said they could get an extra large. Just wondering if anyone out there is riding an extra large and how tall they are and how it fits compared to a road bike.

John,

The issue will be upper body reach more than inseam size. I am 5'11" 32" inseam on a large Turbo. It fits great, though I did flip the stem to lower the handlebars from stock. I normally ride a 59cm old style frame. My upper body is pretty average since I wear normal shirts, not talls. An XL frame would be too big for me.

Doug

Last edited:
I'm with Doug, the reach can be an issue. I'm 6'2" with a 33" inseam and I like a large/20" frame. 30 years ago I could ride XL/21", but now it puts too much stress on my neck and shoulders. I think it's easier to make a slightly smaller frame fit bigger, than it is to make a large frame fit smaller.

I am a little over 6' (probably 32" inseam) and riding an XL Turbo. No problems in my opinion. However, I got the XL because of a good deal when the only option for that price would have been a size M frame.

I am a little over 6' (probably 32" inseam) and riding an XL Turbo. No problems in my opinion. However, I got the XL because of a good deal when the only option for that price would have been a size M frame.

Yeah at this point I told my dealer whichever they can get first, a L or XL, I will take it.... :)
My inseam is 34 BTW so I think I am in between a L and XL frame.

John D.,

If you do decide to consider the XL, make SURE that it is the new 2016 with the 500W motor, 691Wh battery, bluetooth interface, and Shimano XT 11 speed (11-40) and not a model year 2015 carryover. The 2015 Turbo S had the 250W motor and 504Wh battery now used in the Turbo X. It also had SRAM 10 speed (11-32) and Formula brakes similar to the current base model.

My base Turbo (and I expect yours as well) is actually a model year 2015 carry over, through there are no differences whatever between the two. You can look at the serial number plate down near the bottom bracket and it will have date of manufacture and model year stamped right on it. My supposed 2016 base Turbo was built in Nov. 2014 and is stamped as a model year 2015, not 2016.

Doug

John, you are probably right. If the bike is flat black you are probably ok. If it is bright red, you probably are not.

So, John you like to keep your flash subtle and stealthy? :D

Exactly, I like everything black or dark grey. I don't like to stand out in the crowd.:D And my Roubaix is the exact same color scheme as the new Turbo S. I think I would maybe have gotten the Turbo X if it were black and red but I don't really like the black with the blue accents. Haha, just me I guess.

Back