Help with bike sizing - Momentum Vida E+ mid step

safetyfast

Region
USA
Maybe overthinking this, but was thinking of buying Momentum Vida E+ mid-step for me. Upway has some 2020s that are like new and another retailer has a new one for $1500 on clearance, but only in size large. The new is the better price. I was leaning toward getting a medium frame, but the price of the large is calling to me. I'm 5' 10" with 32" inseam, so I'm right on the edge between the two frames according to specs. Will I regret going the size up? No local shops near me to try one out.

No issue with the standover height for you with the Large frame I think. You are two inches taller than I am. I think you should go Large, as the Medium frame would make you feel squeezed inside the frame, and it would put you in totally upright position, which is not good! (The only reason for going Medium would be the case if you had unproportionally short arms). Have you demo ridden the older model in M? How did it feel?

No issue with the standover height for you with the Large frame I think. You are two inches taller than I am. I think you should go Large, as the Medium frame would make you feel squeezed inside the frame, and it would put you in totally upright position, which is not good! (The only reason for going Medium would be the case if you had unproportionally short arms). Have you demo ridden the older model in M? How did it feel?
As an upright (call it Dutch-style) rider who’d rather buy smaller and adjust accordingly,I am a counterexample.Enjoy a diversity of approaches…but objectively speaking,you cannot shrink an oversized bike.

Last edited:
Smaller is how I've gone in the past. Have two traditional bikes, both are mediums. One is a mountain bike and the other is a Trek 7.5 fx hybrid. Both forward riding position and I would like to go to a more upright position. With both of those bikes, the large frames gave me little clearance when standing over.

Smaller is how I've gone in the past. Have two traditional bikes, both are mediums. One is a mountain bike and the other is a Trek 7.5 fx hybrid. Both forward riding position and I would like to go to a more upright position. With both of those bikes, the large frames gave me little clearance when standing over.
Yeah, right. However, the Momentum Vida E+ top tube is greatly lowered. Sorry for using the mix of Metric and Imperial units:
I am 5'8" (173 cm) tall, and my actual "standover height" (not the inseam!) is 30.5" (about 78 cm). The Vida E+ Mid-Step Large standover height is 29.1" (73.9 cm). How on earth you (a person taller than I) could experience any top tube clearance issues?

Of course, it is your choice. The more I ride the more I appreciate larger frames as long as the standover height is not an issue!

Back