e-bikes in Japan follow rules

WoodyinJapan

Region
Asia
We relocated to Shizuoka City, near Mt Fuji, from Seattle in late 2020. I sold all our cars, including some collectibles, and downsized to electric bikes. Retirement in Japan has been wonderful. With good bus & train services, we don't need a car (and I'm 10 kg lighter now). I picked a Panasonic Vivi DX and my wife selected a Vivi L. These are "shopping e-bikes" with 26x1 3/8" tires, 3-speed center-drive, 27kg(DX)/22.4kg(L), step-through frames. They sell for just under USD$1000. Shizuoka is pretty flat and we've never needed more than three gears; almost always in 2nd. After 32 months, we have had zero problems or expenses, except wife had new front brake pads installed (side pull caliper F, internal roller brake R). We each pay about $25/year for an Asahi Cycle card which includes liability insurance (required) and unlimited free maintenance services. I just charge the battery, air the tires and pedal. All street legal (BAA) e-bikes in Japan are limited to 250W, pedal-assist only, and top speed of 24km/hr (15 mph) which seems reasonable since you can ride on either sidewalk, all bike lanes, and the left side of streets - without any license. Helmets are a new requirement since 1APR23. My petite wife loves her Vivi L, but I want to upgrade to an e-bike that fits me better (5'10"/178cm, 214 lbs/97kg) with fatter tires and/or suspension and hyd disc brakes. But I want to keep the simple drivetrain, step-through frame, and local service. My choices are limited. Specialized does have their Como SL 5.0 Large-frame available and it's attractive, but it has a high step-over height (60cm) and no suspension (but its 650x2.3 tires would be a lot more comfortable ride). Their Como 3.0 IGH (which is not available in Japan) looks superior in every way: removable 530Wh battery and true step-through frame with front suspension and a better rear rack. Is there ANYTHING better about the Como SL than the new step-through Como? THANKS!

Last edited:
ya here its so unregulated. I would love to pay 25.0 0a year for maintenance insurance here in the us on one bike worth 3500.00 was about 350 a year. though when we crashed our tandem it paid most f the repair bills.

Welcome. Simplicity is best. A Zen Garden, a Haiku.

Thank you. I really appreciate the quality responses I have received to specific questions & comments. This forum restores my faith in the internet. Obviously, members here are both helpful and knowledgeable.
I find some interesting and worthwhile stuff (such as this forum) on the internet, but I have so far resisted getting any medical advice there. I just hope my doctor follows the same policy.

I find some interesting and worthwhile stuff (such as this forum) on the internet, but I have so far resisted getting any medical advice there. I just hope my doctor follows the same policy.
I found a remedy to kidney stones on the internet when I was in total pain and it worked. There's a lot of crap out there as well. Buyer beware...

Back