Forum Features: Your Opinion Wanted!

Besides EBR, what other ebike forums do you use?

• electricbike.com

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • ebikesforum.com

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • bikeforums.net

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • emtbforums.com

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Reddit

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Facebook

Votes: 28 28.0%
  • Other (I'll say which site in the comments)

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • None

Votes: 37 37.0%

• Total voters
It's Feb 5th. The forums are running very, very slow (on my tablet). Anything changed on the server recently? Anyone else notice an extreme slow down ?

Howdy folks! For those of you who use other ebike forums or Facebook/Reddit, I would love to hear what you like about those communities. Are there any features you really like that you want added to the EBR forums? Community events? Access to special sales and deals? In a nutshell, what do you want out of your online community for ebikes?

This is an open space for suggestions and comments on the EBR forums, how they work, and discussing possible improvements. Please be respectful and constructive with any feedback :) and thank you for being here!
As far as I’m concerned, Court is the man! Therefore, not only do I not make use of any other asset, but in a very real way, I would feel like I was betraying someone who was truly a thought leader, a voice of reason, an inspiration. As I have watched Court grow his business, I’ve always felt that he represents the best of both the nuts and bolts of this type of transportation, but also the underlying context of what it means to try to live on this planet, and not use it as a toilet. This doesn’t mean that other publications, YouTube channels, and other points of view aren’t legitimate. It’s just it I wouldn’t know because I have no need to switch channels!

Expanded how?

Maybe searchable by general location so others going to an area could know what a trail or experience was like in that area?

Or searchable by type of riding?

I view the forums as electronic books in some ways. In arbor culture I search and read a thread that could be years old but gives me access to experience and information I would never have access to on my own. I notice that with info here too.
I’ve been thinking about how good it would be if there was some kind of form that one could fill out with checkmarks that would go through all of the different components and aspects of an electric light vehicle. One could choose watts, kickstand vs no kickstand, built-in light, how many lumens, so on, and so forth. And after clicking all the different options, these bikes, with these features and benefits would appear then one could choose how to list them by price, by popularity, by weight, etc. it could be something like we see on laptop versions of Amazon, where there is a column on the left-hand side where you can choose things like this. Now, I realize that there is an editing system in place in the forum and it’s a good one, but here’s the problem for me. This industry has grown so quickly in the past five years. It’s like everybody and their brother and everybody and their sister is making electric bikes these days and there’s just so many options. Because of this one can end up dizzy after spending a half an hour or so trying to get the information, or choose a bike or what have you. But of course, the problem with making a major change like this is it’s a tremendous amount of work. I don’t know if Court is the only person that writes all this content, but it’s obviously informationally dense and it would be a ton of work.

I’ve been thinking about how good it would be if there was some kind of form that one could fill out with checkmarks that would go through all of the different components and aspects of an electric light vehicle. One could choose watts, kickstand vs no kickstand, built-in light, how many lumens, so on, and so forth. And after clicking all the different options, these bikes, with these features and benefits would appear then one could choose how to list them by price, by popularity, by weight, etc. it could be something like we see on laptop versions of Amazon, where there is a column on the left-hand side where you can choose things like this. Now, I realize that there is an editing system in place in the forum and it’s a good one, but here’s the problem for me. This industry has grown so quickly in the past five years. It’s like everybody and their brother and everybody and their sister is making electric bikes these days and there’s just so many options. Because of this one can end up dizzy after spending a half an hour or so trying to get the information, or choose a bike or what have you. But of course, the problem with making a major change like this is it’s a tremendous amount of work. I don’t know if Court is the only person that writes all this content, but it’s obviously informationally dense and it would be a ton of work.
I’m sure youd be the perfect guy for the job!

You can use the advanced search feature to list a lot of preferences:

Also the compare option from the menus on the EBR review main page. There are a lot of tools to refine choices.

You can use the advanced search feature to list a lot of preferences:

Also the compare option from the menus on the EBR review main page. There are a lot of tools to refine choices.
The compare bikes feature didn't work when I last tried it, and it doesn't seem worth a lot of programmers time TBH. As J.R. said there are a lot of tools. I think reading the threads by make and model will point out the problems pretty quickly.

@Court, @Angela M. not sure if it's possible, but I'd like to suggest a Cloaking/Hide Me option. Currently the forum has the Ignore button where we can mask/cloak posts by other users: what I am suggesting is an option to mask/cloak/hide my activity from specific users. Net effect would be those on my cloak/hide list would never see any activity from me - not my profile, posts, responses, they can't PM me, etc.

This forum is becoming more toxic by the day, and there are clear predators here who take every opportunity to hound certain users. This feature would really cut down on the noise, hopefully reduce burden on you w/r/t reported posts, as the current Ignore function is only half the battle.

For example, if I make a post and someone on my Ignore list responds, I don't see it. If someone then responds to or quotes that ignored user, I will see that. Avoid the problem by hiding all of my content from that problem user so she/he cannot even see it to start with. [Full disclosure, I have no-one on my ignore list atm.]

@Court, @Angela M. not sure if it's possible, but I'd like to suggest a Cloaking/Hide Me option. Currently the forum has the Ignore button where we can mask/cloak posts by other users: what I am suggesting is an option to mask/cloak/hide my activity from specific users. Net effect would be those on my cloak/hide list would never see any activity from me - not my profile, posts, responses, they can't PM me, etc.

This forum is becoming more toxic by the day, and there are clear predators here who take every opportunity to hound certain users. This feature would really cut down on the noise, hopefully reduce burden on you w/r/t reported posts, as the current Ignore function is only half the battle.

For example, if I make a post and someone on my Ignore list responds, I don't see it. If someone then responds to or quotes that ignored user, I will see that. Avoid the problem by hiding all of my content from that problem user so she/he cannot even see it to start with. [Full disclosure, I have no-one on my ignore list atm.]
I have suggested a full Ban/Blocking feature for selected users. So they cannot see what I'm doing in the Forum and I cannot see them.

EBR is my first and only foray into e-bike forums. Maybe I should broaden my horizon's since I'm still hoping to get more insight on e-bikes. I do not know where to look for threads about threads ending suddenly so I'll post my thoughts here. I'm not sure there is a solution to the annoyance I'm finding other than to quite searching but thought I'd see what others say. If anything.
The problem I'm finding is that after finding threads with good (relevant to me) information so many of the threads just end suddenly.
Unfortunately, without final resolutions to the problems they were discussing. Often no final results after posting about a bike search. Which bike did they finally end up with? or how did the problem get resolved? Many of the posts are older, months or a year + since the last addition. Is this typical of forums? Should I just reply to a year old thread and hope for the best?

Sadly interlopers come ask for help and give nothing back. No updates, no follow ups. It’s the nature of the beast. I often see the same posters jumping on multiple forums looking for the same help.

I follow 2 forums known to me to have the most reliable information for self sustaining e-bikers. This is one. Old guys and scratch builders. Members who like e-bikes. Period.

Sadly interlopers come ask for help and give nothing back. No updates, no follow ups. It’s the nature of the beast. I often see the same posters jumping on multiple forums looking for the same help.

I follow 2 forums known to me to have the most reliable information for self sustaining e-bikers. This is one. Old guys and scratch builders. Members who like e-bikes. Period.
I did spend a few weeks reading posts on this forum before committing. Then decided it was a good idea to join in on various discussions. I've learned a lot.
Good to hear you find reliable information here. I've seen many of your posts and I'm happy you have a chance to participate.

EBR is my first and only foray into e-bike forums. Maybe I should broaden my horizon's since I'm still hoping to get more insight on e-bikes. I do not know where to look for threads about threads ending suddenly so I'll post my thoughts here. I'm not sure there is a solution to the annoyance I'm finding other than to quite searching but thought I'd see what others say. If anything.
The problem I'm finding is that after finding threads with good (relevant to me) information so many of the threads just end suddenly.
Unfortunately, without final resolutions to the problems they were discussing. Often no final results after posting about a bike search. Which bike did they finally end up with? or how did the problem get resolved? Many of the posts are older, months or a year + since the last addition. Is this typical of forums? Should I just reply to a year old thread and hope for the best?
Kneebenderbiker, welcome to EBR. Some of your points of concern/interest might be addressed by knowing more about who you're reading. Click on a members screen name or handle and you can see when they joined and maybe a bit more. Click on it again and you can see what other topics they've posted on, how many posts, get a flavor for if they support and contribute etc. and how recently.

Then put @kneebenderbiker in your text and they will get a notification.

T
Kneebenderbiker, welcome to EBR. Some of your points of concern/interest might be addressed by knowing more about who you're reading. Click on a members screen name or handle and you can see when they joined and maybe a bit more. Click on it again and you can see what other topics they've posted on, how many posts, get a flavor for if they support and contribute etc. and how recently.

Then put @kneebenderbiker in your text and they will get a notification.
Thank you Merle, that’s very helpful and I appreciate your help.

How about a specific rule prohibiting political discussions. There are plenty of other places on the web folks can go to cut each other up.
With u on this one! I was thinking it was All about E Bikes or E Trikes, can't imagine anyone inserting derogatory comments about someone running for office on this type forum, that's Far Out Wrong! What's the significance- totally unrelated, 'why do it'?!

What I would like is for the website to notify me when others post on threads I have posted in. Lately I get zero notifications contrary to my saved preferences. Perhaps this situation is due to IOS updates

What I would like is for the website to notify me when others post on threads I have posted in. Lately I get zero notifications contrary to my saved preferences. Perhaps this situation is due to IOS updates
I get them MOST of the time, but not always....

It's nice and useful to know a posters reaction score and points as is provided now, particularly if you're considering following their advice...in that vein, it would be equally useful to know who has the most ignores.

Attachments

• R.jpg
    R.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 90
Back