[UN-RESOLVED, Again!] Specialized "Rider - I Don't Care" Support is non-existent, what is YOUR experience? (poll) (NEW SYSTEM IN PLACE 4-21-22)

Does Specialized Rider Care answer YOUR calls?

• Total voters
Sorry to hear y'all aren't having a good time dealing with them directly. That's the benefit of having a brick and mortar business. Email/call/text/walk in and you get my undivided attention. Dealers have much better, more direct, channels of communication. If you feel like your local shop isn't doing a good job, that's a tough spot to be in. Lord knows I hear the disappointment when I tell folks we're booked out with service, but at least it's an answer? I get both sides of the complaint, but coming to a web forum, which most dealers don't deal with, to bitch about a company isn't a great way to get a solution to whatever problem you're having.

Sucks buying stuff from the internet sometimes...

Yes, it was a long story!

My Vado 5.0 is MY 2017. Marci's is MY 2018 Vado 6.0. Both were designed as Euro Speed Pedelecs. It is 45 km/h in Europe and 28 mph in the USA. As the Euro L1e-B Type, the e-bike should be equipped with numerous safety features. Moreover, Specialized promised those e-bikes would work with Mission Control. However, the brand chose the wrong provider of displays (BLOKS). BLOKS could never make their system work as promised, and eventually filed for bankruptcy. Specialized was left with nothing.

Pretty early on, Specialized could deliver a new display by name of TCD-w, and the company introduced a programme to swap the BLOCKS for TCD-w free to any Vado/Como owner. It was easy with regular Vados and Comos but not with the 6.0!

An L1e-B has to be Type Approved (it is a moped in Europe). Moreover, the L1e-B law in Europe got more restrictive meanwhile. Specialized had not only to approve the conversion set but also provide the Type Approved (automotive) headlight. The choice was Supernova M99 Pro.

Onimaru, do not even try to buy & install the M99 Pro. It requires the Specialized 1.2s motor or Brose TF. The lamp works at higher voltage and the power draw in high beam mode is significant. The lamp provides automatic running day light or low-beam, and you switch the high beam with a button. (Another motor that supports the M99 Pro is the Bosch Performance Line Speed).
I’ve seen YouTube videos of them being spliced into the 12V in the motor housing. Doesn’t seem that bad. But more work than I need right now and with little benefit for how I ride. I did test drive R&M bikes that come standard with it and it was nice. I’ll start at whatever I can max out in the stock wiring first if I need more.

My bigger complaint is the lack of brake lever sensors to trigger an active brake light.

Your Specialized LBS is the first tier of assistance & support. I work in a business based on a similar model. Our customers are to ask me not the software vendor. And I am on the line 24 hours a day in need.

@GuruUno: Your poll is faulty. It misses the third answer: "I do not need to use the Specialized Rider Care".
My issue was with a helmet purchase directly from the Specialized website. So Specialized is the first tier of support.

I understand folks here wanting to defend Specialized - they make great quality products. But when they're shifting more to a direct-to-consumer model, they need the support to go along with it.

My issue was with a helmet purchase directly from the Specialized website. So Specialized is the first tier of support.

I understand folks here wanting to defend Specialized - they make great quality products. But when they're shifting more to a direct-to-consumer model, they need the support to go along with it.
I understand your issue. I used the more direct way of purchasing things from Specialized by ordering a pair of Electrak 2.0 tyres (which have never been carried by the LBS). However, I chose the "Store Pickup". My tyres have been packed in the European HQ immediately and sent by courier to the LBS. I was being properly informed (electronically) on the process. When the tyres reached the LBS, I was informed about it.

I went in the LBS, paid a little for the tyre swap and e-bike washing. No issues.

The Specialized LBS is getting shipments from the HQ often. Hard to imagine my shipment could be lost. Besides, bikes and e-bikes are never delivered by the distributor directly: it always goes via LBS. (You have got your e-bike, haven't you).

The reality is the bikes were returned last Thursday and there has been no communication as to the outcome of the situation. My wife took a Como SL for a ride and we are awaiting a Como 5 that is incoming to use for comparison. The fact is we'll be getting another bike, but Specialized is already hanging on to $12,000 (the cost of the 2 IGH bikes).

Having been in similar situations with other products in life, I'm sure that answers and actions will occur in a more professional manner (aka acceptable time frame to respond to inquiries) if I initate a dispute with the credit card company. Having utilized that process in the past, I can say 99.99% of the time it wakes up the person who is lacking in customwer support skills. Just saying.

Am I reading this correctly? "the BIKES have been returned" ? And they are awaiting another bike " for comparison" ?

So at least 3 bikes ordered online and none are intended to be kept? " the fact is we will be getting another bike"

Imagine the poor lbs having to deal with this, or the poor person at Specialized rider care dealing with a customer who seems to think online sales equates to window shopping!

Defective, unacceptable, disappointed, not as advertised bikes are returned. Additional bike for testing is being searched for. The cost of doing business. At least it's still a Specialized. Also, I don't make the rules. This is the "new" Direct-to-consumer process. Buy online, ship to store. Return if not as expected to the LBS initially in receipt of the shipped bike.

Last edited:
Am I reading this correctly? "the BIKES have been returned" ? And they are awaiting another bike " for comparison" ?

So at least 3 bikes ordered online and none are intended to be kept? " the fact is we will be getting another bike"

Imagine the poor lbs having to deal with this, or the poor person at Specialized rider care dealing with a customer who seems to think online sales equates to window shopping!
Well, that is Specialized or Amazon's or Target's problem. Obviously ONLINE is Amazon's only outlet. But if I cannot test a bike (or whatever) for fit and power and weight at a local shop, then they have to expect the strong possibility that the item may not be suitable and will be returned. Defective equipment is a separate issue. I have a friend who buys tons of shoes ONLINE. I find shoe fit to be very specific and buying online is not my method.

I knew I could lift the Creo and get it into my home or on a car rack. I have no idea of the terro, vado, aero, bero and zero!!! If they cannot be found locally then what. Buy, try and return.

Well, that is Specialized or Amazon's or Target's problem. Obviously ONLINE is Amazon's only outlet. But if I cannot test a bike (or whatever) for fit and power and weight at a local shop, then they have to expect the strong possibility that the item may not be suitable and will be returned. Defective equipment is a separate issue. I have a friend who buys tons of shoes ONLINE. I find shoe fit to be very specific and buying online is not my method.

I knew I could lift the Creo and get it into my home or on a car rack. I have no idea of the terro, vado, aero, bero and zero!!! If they cannot be found locally then what. Buy, try and return.
Which reminds me of a low-life Polish journalist who had travelled around the United States and paid nothing for the gear used on his trip. He was "buying" goods and returning them. After his return, he wrote a big article in which he boasted how smart he had been.

No need to mention what I think of such people?

Even if I try understanding the Guru's "purchase model", I cannot respect his everlasting complaints on everything, and depreciating the brands he tried with, starting with Trek. "The King Guru has spoken, and all the servants have to break their legs running to serve him. Then, he will return the product and bash it on the Forums".

Last edited:

Specialized created this situation though by cutting out the LBS's to claim more of the pie for themselves. Seems like a weird decision with a product that requires expertise for building and troubleshooting such as electric bikes, and if they were going to move to this model.. access to support should be ENHANCED not limited as it seems to be currently. Just an odd decision by them.

Specialized created this situation though by cutting out the LBS's to claim more of the pie for themselves. Seems like a weird decision with a product that requires expertise for building and troubleshooting such as electric bikes, and if they were going to move to this model.. access to support should be ENHANCED not limited as it seems to be currently. Just an odd decision by them.
Whiz, you should read the Specialized Forum more :)
The new model is not DTC. The LBS is always involved when it comes to e-bike delivery, and the LBS is compensated without bearing the inventory cost and/or sales work. You will always come back to the LBS for service, fixes, or warranty.

The new model is not DTC. The LBS is always involved when it comes to e-bike delivery, and the LBS is compensated without bearing the inventory cost and/or sales work. You will always come back to the LBS for service, fixes, or warranty.
The LBS's I spoke with said they can no longer get bikes from Specialized, which means less familarity with them overall eventually. One became a Trek store, and the other is trying to i guess figure it all out, but had to fumbled along when building and configuring my IGH because they werent sent any info on them from Specialized.. which ultimately may hurt the avg consumer who wont know to visit these forums for support and also the LBS, having to deal with constant returns because they're also under prepared.

The LBS's I spoke with said they can no longer get bikes from Specialized, which means less familarity with them overall eventually. One became a Trek store, and the other is trying to i guess figure it all out, but had to fumbled along when building and configuring my IGH because they werent sent any info on them from Specialized.. which ultimately may hurt the avg consumer who wont know to visit these forums for support and also the LBS, having to deal with constant returns because they're also under prepared.
Good LBS that only sell Specialized remain in the game. LBSes with split loyalty have to go. Which part you don't understand?

Good LBS that only sell Specialized remain in the game. LBSes with split loyalty have to go. Which part you don't understand?
If thats what Specialized wants to do, obviously they can but what im speaking to is the issue for the purchaser of direct to consumer Specialized bikes and also the LBS's that dont stock Specialized bikes anymore due to Specialized restrictions, but still having to troubleshoot and service these same bikes.

Which reminds me of a low-life Polish journalist who had travelled around the United States and paid nothing for the gear used on his trip. He was "buying" goods and returning them. After his return, he wrote a big article in which he boasted how smart he had been.

No need to mention what I think of such people?

Even if I try understanding the Guru's "purchase model", I cannot respect his everlasting complaints on everything, and depreciating the brands he tried with, starting with Trek. "The King Guru has spoken, and all the servants have to break their legs running to serve him. Then, he will return the product and bash it on the Forums".
Wow. Such respect. At 70 years old, owning 75 cars, trucks, motorcycles, RVs, bikes, e-bikes, houses, etc., etc., and being a business owner whose customers ALWAYS demand the utmost workmanship, RESPONSE TO CALLS, and professional courtesy, I can only say that I am a bit disappointed with Stefan & Alaskan's negative opinion to my plight. I am not looking for your acceptance. I am only sharing my experiences to alert potential persons who may be considering the acquisition of said products. That's it. I am doing only what MY customers expected of ME for MY services and goods. I think as an educated consumer I have the right to express my concerns and share my experiences, but not to be negatively assessed for doing so.
Think long, think hard about everything you acquire, commit to or consider in your life. Are you going to be the stupid one who complains when things go awry? It will be your own fault for not opening your mouth.
Again, I'm only sharing my frustrations so others may benefit and be alerted to the items I had issues with. It may benefit them at some point or make them more cautious about listening to the double-talking BS of the salesman (who just wants to make a sale).
I'm sorry that my expressions of dissatisfaction may negatively impact your opinion of me. I'm very, very happy with myself. And, my customers LOVE me. They all ask, what will happen if you retire or are not available? And I sympathize. It is very, very difficult to clone and create a mirror image of a perfectionist.
I recently sold my 2021 Turb Vado 5.0 with over 5,000 miles. The very best bike I've owned. I still have my Vado 5.0 SL and enjoy it daily. I'm still on the fence as to which Specialized to acquire for my next bike. So test, try, share and find the next best bike is what I'm trying to do.

Last edited:
I have to say as an OLD bike purchaser - that model sucks. I prefer a bike shop with a variety of products so that I can compare them.
But I guess I have no special loyalty to Specialized or Trek or Raleigh. I've owned them all over the years with two Treks and a couple of custom bikes in the mix. I buy what I like and what serves ME. But I might have no choice but if I do, it will not be a company store.

I have to say as an OLD bike purchaser - that model sucks. I prefer a bike shop with a variety of products so that I can compare them.
But I guess I have no special loyalty to Specialized or Trek or Raleigh. I've owned them all over the years with two Treks and a couple of custom bikes in the mix. I buy what I like and what serves ME. But I might have no choice but if I do, it will not be a company store.
We live in so-called "interesting times".

Perhaps, but I've spoken to two LBS here regarding lead time to order a Vado through them.

First store says they cannot order any Specialized bikes, and are not part of the click-to-collect program, because they didn't wish to agree to the terms of SBC's new model. Only way I would be able to buy a Vado through them is wait for SBC to happen to send them one...

Other LBS is part of the click-to-collect program, but also says they won't take orders due to being unable to provide an estimated delivery.

Couple others I can talk to but it's looking like the only way is wait for what I want to show up in stock on the website. I'd rather give an LBS the full commission, and save the $50 destination fee the website charges, but thats seems unlikely.

Last edited:
My first attempt to contact Rider Care was not positive. I am interested in purchasing a 2nd battery for my Vado 5.0 IGH. My LBS, who I had issues with during the Specialized Delivery of the bike, says they can't order spare batteries. They recommended I contact Specialized directly. The battery is not listed on the site, so I sent Rider Care an email.

The email was sent seven days ago and I have yet to receive a reply.

I am 100% happy with the bike. But my first experience with dealing with Rider Care was a let down. My LBS, which is the only Specialized Delivery shop in my area, is not all that great either.....my issues have been minor, but makes me concerned on how future support will be for major issues.

I do plan on contacting a few other LBS that carry Specialized (along with other brands) to see if I can get better support.

Back