Ford F-150 Lightning - perfect truck for E-bike owners

Well, if you have an older truck and the cost was relatively less than a new baseline model truck. Then maybe some would consider and electric motor retrofit.
EV Motors need no maintenance, oil changes, transmissions servicing or $6+ gas. The numbers may work for some, after all, EVs are based on the same Battery, Motor and Sled Frame architecture.
Once GM, Ford, Chevy, Toyota go at this full blast the battery prices will come down. But the base will be the same on all vehicles, just like on our E-Bikes Bosch motors are king and they build bikes around it.

Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 8.05.44 AM.png

Love the truck. I'm a big Ford F150 fan. Grateful for the video posting, as I hadn't seen that yet.

This is the mainstream vehicle many have been waiting for. It looks like a normal truck, the kind that sell and the price isn't beyond what many pay now. There are issues that the US needs to address. If you have a big garage you can charge this at home. On the road locally we don't have any charging stations. The nearest one is more than 30 miles away. Next is governments (Federal and State) offer rebates for EV and there is no tax that goes to road repairs and infrastructure. Gas taxes are paying for our roads and EV owners do not pay the bill, as a matter of fact taxpayers pay people to buy EV's. So governments keep raising the gas tax, which is the most regressive tax there is to low income wage earners. It doesn't hurt for the person making 100k a year to pay a nickel more per gallon, but the person making $15 to $20 an hour, driving 30 to 40 miles everyday to make that paycheck, it hurts a lot.

All the incentives are going to high wage earners that can afford EV's and not the senior on a fixed income or the average blue collar or service worker.

Let them eat cake? We have a lot to figure out now that EV's are getting more mainstream. Washington seems too busy with their schoolyard fights. EV's have to be affordable, we need industry funded charging stations and we need to figure out how to fund road infrastructure.

Love the truck!

My E-250 is 35 yrs. old, still runs like new. Of course I only drove 500 mi. last year. I do most
all of my errands on my ebike. Sry, I don´t need or can afford $40k for an e-truck. I enjoy being
debt free! This is an ebike forum by the way.
The post is listed in Off Topic Non eBike Discussion by the way.

I live in the middle of nowhere, and there are at least four EV charging locations within 25 miles of me. Even Google Maps doesn't find most of them. They seem to be getting installed at a pretty rapid clip too. Most of them will recharge you vehicle in 30minutes or less, so even a 200 mile range isn't grossly painful (although I'd very much like 300-400 miles).

And given that even if you live in a place with hideously expensive electricity, the cost of charging your vehicle is the equivalent of buying gas at $0.50 a gallon. That's got to be worth something and does much to compensate for the high initial price. That and the fact that there is a lot less maintenance required for an EV.

My own guess is that as soon as economies of scale get revved up the cost of EVs will drop, probably by half or more. At that point only very stubborn people will stick with their IC vehicles.

I live in the middle of nowhere, and there are at least four EV charging locations within 25 miles of me. Even Google Maps doesn't find most of them. They seem to be getting installed at a pretty rapid clip too. Most of them will recharge you vehicle in 30minutes or less, so even a 200 mile range isn't grossly painful (although I'd very much like 300-400 miles).

And given that even if you live in a place with hideously expensive electricity, the cost of charging your vehicle is the equivalent of buying gas at $0.50 a gallon. That's got to be worth something and does much to compensate for the high initial price. That and the fact that there is a lot less maintenance required for an EV.

My own guess is that as soon as economies of scale get revved up the cost of EVs will drop, probably by half or more. At that point only very stubborn people will stick with their IC vehicles.
I agree. I think one easy solution is for car dealerships that sell enough vehicles to install a charging station. It could be partially funded by the manufacturer and the dealer. The money could be easily recouped by customers 'filling up'.

I agree. I think one easy solution is for car dealerships that sell enough vehicles to install a charging station. It could be partially funded by the manufacturer and the dealer. The money could be easily recouped by customers 'filling up'.
Keep in mind that a lot of the charging stations are free or charge a very nominal fee. I've noticed that a lot of the ones at hotels are free to guests, as an example.

Also, just as a ballpark number, the cost for a single-vehicle public charging station is about $7000.

Affordability come from compatition and charging it getting more and more main stream.
I disagree, Car Dealerships will be going bankrupt, very little maintenance as more cars go EV. If they go the Tesla model you'll be able to order EVs online and delivered to your house. Tesla even services your car at your home if a door is misaligned or your need a tire changed.

Charging stations will not be at dealers they will be at Restraunt. Charge while having dining.
Cracker Barrel, Whole Foods and some Alberson's already have charging stations in my area. This is a new Gas Station, BBQ, Sandwich shop that open a few miles for me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 10.41.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 10.41.31 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 203
Keep in mind that a lot of the charging stations are free or charge a very nominal fee. I've noticed that a lot of the ones at hotels are free to guests, as an example.

Also, just as a ballpark number, the cost for a single-vehicle public charging station is about $7000.
Seems a reasonable cost. The available federal tax credit is up to $7500 plus state and local credits and or rebates.

Charging will get more expensive not cheaper. There will be state and federal taxes to make up for the shortfall in gas tax. Rebates and credits will also go away when sales increase significantly from the current 2%. Government will have to eventually figure out how to pay for our road infrastructure and it can't just fall on the people that can least afford to upgrade to an EV. Some of the same people that are for $7500 tax credits for $100k cars are for increasing the gas tax by .25 to .40 cents a gallon. That would hurt the people who can least afford it.

I disagree, Car Dealerships will be going bankrupt, very little maintenance as more cars go EV.
That's very true. Just when I think I've thought of all the downsides there's another one. I haven't even mentioned all the jobs lost by ancillary industries around current vehicles. You just added one. There are a lot of upsides. Really complicated issue.

I have a friend that is all in on electric cars. He seems to think if anyone mentions any of the difficulties in this transition, you must be anti EV. He knows I am not, but never wants to hear about these challenges.

That's very true. Just when I think I've thought of all the downsides there's another one. I haven't even mentioned all the jobs lost by ancillary industries around current vehicles. You just added one. There are a lot of upsides. Really complicated issue.

I have a friend that is all in on electric cars. He seems to think if anyone mentions any of the difficulties in this transition, you must be anti EV. He knows I am not, but never wants to hear about these challenges.
The same was said about the Horse and Buggy & Saddle makers back in the day. Jobs will evolve, Charge Station, Wind Turbines, Solar Roof maintenance. Thats where mechanics will be needed. EV motors will be remove and replace as long as there are under Warrentee.

But imagine going to a E-Vehical Charging point an using your E-Bike adapters to top off.

The same was said about the Horse and Buggy & Saddle makers back in the day. Jobs will evolve, Charge Station, Wind Turbines, Solar Roof maintenance. Thats where mechanics will be needed. EV motors will be remove and replace as long as there are under Warrentee.

But imagine going to a E-Vehical Charging point an using your E-Bike adapters to top off.
That's obvious and what I meant by transition. Nevertheless it will be painful for people.

Next is governments (Federal and State) offer rebates for EV and there is no tax that goes to road repairs and infrastructure. Gas taxes are paying for our roads and EV owners do not pay the bill, as a matter of fact taxpayers pay people to buy EV's.

Not sure if you are aware of this. Starting 2019, many states have started taxing EV owners, an equivalent of the gas bill.

STATE-BY-STATE FEES​

Here's a rundown of the states that currently charge electric-vehicle owners added fees, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures:

California: $100 annual fee for a zero-emissions vehicle. Starting in January 2021, annual increases will be indexed to the consumer price index.

Colorado: $50 annual fee for full-electric and plug-in hybrid (PHEV) vehicles.

Georgia: $200 annual license fee for “noncommercial alternative fueled vehicles,” including EVs, but not PHEVs (unless the owner requests an alt-fuel license plate). The fee is automatically adjusted on an annual basis.

Idaho: $140 annual fee for EVs; it’s $75 for PHEVs.

Illinois: $100 annual fee for EVs beginning July 1, 2019.

Indiana: $150 annual fee for EVs; it’s $50 for hybrids and PHEVs.

Michigan: $135 annual fee for non-hybrid electric vehicles weighing less than 8,000 pounds; it’s $235 for those weighing more than 8,000 pounds. The state charges hybrid owners an extra $47.50 and PHEV drivers an added $117.50. These fees are indexed to the state gas tax and would rise incrementally if it is increased.

Minnesota: $75 annual fee on EVs.

Mississippi: $150 fee on EVs and a $75 fee on hybrids. Beginning July 1, 2021, these fees will be indexed to the inflation rate.

Missouri: $75 annual fee on EVs, and $37.50 on PHEVs.

Nebraska: $75 annual fee on alternative-fuel vehicles, including EVs.

North Carolina: $130 on plug-in vehicles, including EVs.

Oregon: $110 annual fee on PHEVs beginning on January 1, 2020.

South Carolina: $120 biennial fee for EVs; it’s a $60 biennial fee for hybrids.

Tennessee: $100 annual fee for EVs.

Utah: $60 annual fee for EVs; it increases to $90 in 2020 and $120 in 2021. Hybrids are assessed a $10 fee that rises to $15 in 2020 and $20 in 2021. It’s currently a $26 annual fee for PHEVs that jumps to $39 in 2020 and $52 in 2021. In 2022 increases will be indexed to the consumer price index.

Virginia: $64 annual license for EVs.

Washington: $150 annual fee for EVs.

Wisconsin: $100 annual fee for EVs.

I'm all for electric vehicles but we need to start hearing from the power's that be regarding how we are going to produce all this electricity. Seriously. 🤔
Waves, wind, & solar. Washington State is 94% hydro, but rapidly moving into wind farms. Perhaps
one day they will liberate the Columbia River.

Love it! We picked up a Tesla Model 3 two years ago. That car will make your stomach tickle with the instant power! It puts a smile on your face.
Same smile with my Trek E-Bike on a hills that I use to walk my bike over. Now the motor helps me get over the hill.

smiles.
Except for commercial use, big, heavy, expensive vehicles are obsolete. We have to rethink the
way we get around. They will need to be lighter, simpler, cheaper, & more people friendly!

Waves, wind, & solar. Washington State is 94% hydro, but rapidly moving into wind farms. Perhaps
one day they will liberate the Columbia River.
Saying that wind and solar will replace nuclear or hydro is a pipe dream (for now). I'd be happy if China stopped building any more coal fired generating stations.

Except for commercial use, big, heavy, expensive vehicles are obsolete. We have to rethink the
way we get around. They will need to be lighter, simpler, cheaper, & more people friendly!
And more friendly people wouldn't hurt either.

Saying that wind and solar will replace nuclear or hydro is a pipe dream (for now). I'd be happy if China stopped building any more coal fired generating stations.
Have you seen the wind farms that have gone up on both sides of the Columbia in WA & OR? Yes,
coal is nasty, & India is even more dependant than China. Between them, they have to address the
needs of about 3 billion people. Adopting clean energy, especially in India, is a monumental task.
Per capita, Americans still consume more energy & resources than any other nation.

Back