E-Bike Battery Guide

What is missing from the E-bike world is high-quality, automotive grade batteries built for 5+ years of heavy duty usage with minimal capacity fade.
We hope to contribute to the E-bike world by offering such batteries in the near future.
Wire bonding is the method Tesla, Lucid, Rivian etc. use in their batteries. A proper design with Wires + bus bars + advanced BMS offer a level of build quality that can handle high-G forces acting on E-bike batteries.

View attachment 154149
After following up with a few articles on the subject... It almost seems insane not to use ultrasonic wire bonding. Are the machines required cost prohibitive on the small scale?

Just the wire bonding machine costs $0.5M and all the pre-production and post production equipment cost $2.5M

Yeah, that's what I assumed... so I guess doing it with the blunt drive post of my Sonicare toothbrush isn't going to work.
From a quick search it seems even the well respected and expensive Bosch battery is spot welded so maybe you can set the new bar for the industry.👍

high-quality, automotive grade batteries built

in detail this means high quality cells with big capacity for long distance riding or a high discharge rate for those moto ebikers out there...
- and yes a hi quality BMS, a Bluetooth one that will enable the rider to note the temp. of various parameters (T sensors, Mos sensors...)

It would not be bad to add some copper welding for those expensive ebike batteries..while it's still cheap (the copper).

But since they already charge 7-800$ for a low quality build and get away with it imagine how much it will be for a pack with 50S cells ? Or even 50E2/3 ...Let's not do Molicell or the pack will be more expensive then the ebike😉

Let's not do Molicell or the pack will be more expensive then the ebike

We just received 500 Molicells for our prototype builds and these are meant for electric boat batteries.
I think E-bikes do not need this much power. Grade-A cells from LG or Panasonic or Samsung with robust connectors and BMS and what we see is that most E-bike batteries have just bare minimum safety and very primitive BMS.

1685139315812.png

I'm really curios about this timer does it shut off for a bit every so often? What's the bennifit of having a timer like that for charging batteries

I'm really curios about this timer does it shut off for a bit every so often? What's the bennifit of having a timer like that for charging batteries
Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure which timer you are referring to since several were discussed in this thread.

There are several reasons for using a charger timer, not the least of which is safety. If the automatic shutoff in the charger should fail, the timer shuts off the power and acts as a fail safe to keep the battery from overcharging. If you do this, you need to make sure the unpowered charger won't discharge the battery. I have one OEM charger that if left unpowered and connected to the battery, it will lose 10% of it's charge overnight.

Many also use a charger timer to control the battery state of charge. With a little practice, you can set the timer to bring the battery up to 40 - 60% for storage. Some use a timer to charge a battery to 80% instead of a full charge to prolong battery life.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure which timer you are referring to since several were discussed in this thread.

There are several reasons for using a charger timer, not the least of which is safety. If the automatic shutoff in the charger should fail, the timer shuts off the power and acts as a fail safe to keep the battery from overcharging. If you do this, you need to make sure the unpowered charger won't discharge the battery. I have one OEM charger that if left unpowered and connected to the battery, it will lose 10% of it's charge overnight.

Many also use a charger timer to control the battery state of charge. With a little practice, you can set the timer to bring the battery up to 40 - 60% for storage. Some use a timer to charge a battery to 80% instead of a full charge to prolong battery life.

I hope this helps answer your question.
This is why I like my little hack DIY Smart Charger
It breaks the connection to the charger so the charger can't suck back current and it shuts down at a specific voltage so you don't have to guess how long to set the timer for no matter the state of charge you begin with.

Back