Ford F-150 Truck Bed Rack

Tom M

Hello, after much research I would like to share how I transport my Radrover fat tire E-bikes in the bed of my truck. This rack system is clean and solid for these heavy bikes. The track is made by Rockymounts and the fork mounts are Kuat Phat 9's. If you own a F-150 this will be your best option for hauling these bikes.

Attachments

• PXL_20201206_153603021.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201206_153603021.MP.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 705
Hello, after much research I would like to share how I transport my Radrover fat tire E-bikes in the bed of my truck. This rack system is clean and solid for these heavy bikes. The track is made by Rockymounts and the fork mounts are Kuat Phat 9's. If you own a F-150 this will be your best option for hauling these bikes.
My son in law has that kind of system and hates that he cannot use the bed to haul all his other stuff. He has since gone with a simple hitch rack I loaned him and he loves it.

The slick idea I saw was a truck with tie down brackets that that folded over so you could haul stuff in the bed by just folding them down, The guy said he'd made them from gate latches . Was pretty slick. the bikes tied down like you'd tiedown a Motorcycle. When he was hauling something he just popped the latch off or folded it over . It did require welding a small base plate

I've been using a couple of Thule Insta-Gater racks for years with my F150. Quick, easy, and remove in seconds. They sell a 'pro' version now that fits fatbikes.

I like the bikes in the bed for high speed and long distance security. They get much less road grime while transporting in the rain and leave the hitch free for other duties.

All depends on your needs. I know people that just throw the bike in the bed or hang the front wheel on the tailgate to drive to local trails. So many options available today.

This one looks really secure....$

OK, looks like my other pic wasn't posted. This is one with the bikes loaded. Also I have a aluminum folding bike ramp for these beasts which works great. If you had to you could remove the track in a few minutes.

Attachments

• PXL_20201206_150136018.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201206_150136018.MP.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 1,678
I've been using a couple of Thule Insta-Gater racks for years with my F150. Quick, easy, and remove in seconds. They sell a 'pro' version now that fits fatbikes.

I like the bikes in the bed for high speed and long distance security. They get much less road grime while transporting in the rain and leave the hitch free for other duties.

All depends on your needs. I know people that just throw the bike in the bed or hang the front wheel on the tailgate to drive to local trails. So many options available today.

This one looks really secure....$

That looks slick and as you said plenty fast enough . I have an older Jeep that has a hitch so I use that over my Truck . But nice to know there's a slick system like this. My Jeep is 15 years old so won't last forever : Thanks for the post

A cool product and definitely a secure way to transport your bikes. Thanks for posting.

For us older folks who find it a chore to climb up into the pickup bed while pushing a bike, this scheme is a bit easier:
I took a pair of Thule Sidearm roof racks and bolted them to a PVC pipe base. The base easily slides out of the bed so you can load the bikes from the ground. The frame then slides back into the bed with the bikes loaded. These have been posted here several times and one is my avatar picture:
Pic 2.jpg Pic 7a.jpg Pic 1.JPG Pic 4.jpg Pic 5.jpg Pic 6.jpg

For heavier bikes, I use a ramp:
Pic 7.jpg

The rack slides out of the bed and leans against the garage wall when not in use.

Short of a fully enclosed van or trailer, a pickup is the safest, most secure way to transport a bike. Hitch racks are by far the easiest to use but the bikes protrude from the rear of the vehicle and are more subject to damage & theft. In some states, law enforcement is also cracking down on bike racks that obscure the license plate.

There are many truck bed products available, like the nifty one you use. The trick is to find the one that works best for you.

A cool product and definitely a secure way to transport your bikes. Thanks for posting.

For us older folks who find it a chore to climb up into the pickup bed while pushing a bike, this scheme is a bit easier:
I took a pair of Thule Sidearm roof racks and bolted them to a PVC pipe base. The base easily slides out of the bed so you can load the bikes from the ground. The frame then slides back into the bed with the bikes loaded. These have been posted here several times and one is my avatar picture:
View attachment 73685 View attachment 73691 View attachment 73684 View attachment 73687 View attachment 73688 View attachment 73689

For heavier bikes, I use a ramp:
View attachment 73690

The rack slides out of the bed and leans against the garage wall when not in use.

Short of a fully enclosed van or trailer, a pickup is the safest, most secure way to transport a bike. Hitch racks are by far the easiest to use but the bikes protrude from the rear of the vehicle and are more subject to damage & theft. In some states, law enforcement is also cracking down on bike racks that obscure the license plate.

There are many truck bed products available, like the nifty one you use. The trick is to find the one that works best for you.
Great Idea : look like you have enough land you can just store that outside ??? Appears RUST PROOF Again Great Idea Does it require 2 people to make the initial lift to the Truck bed ?

OK, looks like my other pic wasn't posted. This is one with the bikes loaded. Also I have a aluminum folding bike ramp for these beasts which works great. If you had to you could remove the track in a few minutes.
What are those red and green cords you've got around the wheels?

What are those red and green cords you've got around the wheels?

Great Idea : look like you have enough land you can just store that outside ??? Appears RUST PROOF Again Great Idea Does it require 2 people to make the initial lift to the Truck bed ?
No, one person can do it. It's a 55 pound lift but the PVC pipe slides like butter on the plastic bed liner. It's a lot easier with just one bike on the rack though.

I usually leave the bike on the rack and the truck in the barn. That way, I'm ready to go on a moments notice.

OK, the reason I shared this is Rockymounts engineered this track exclusively for the F-150. If you have a different vehicle this doesn't apply. The design and location of the Ford cargo tie-downs makes this the best option on the market for carrying bikes in a 5.5 bed with the tailgate closed. It is light, compact and can be removed easily if need be. I also use a ratchet bar in the back and lash the tires with Gorilla Ties in case things get squirrelly.

Here is another pic to show what I am talking about. The track mount is actually integrated into the cargo tie down. Also I am including a pic of my Black Widow folding aluminum bike ramp, makes loading and unloading easy.

Attachments

• IMG_20200917_135524.jpg
    IMG_20200917_135524.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 502
  • PXL_20201207_213435412.jpg
    PXL_20201207_213435412.jpg
    507.6 KB · Views: 548
Back