Folding Locks: ABus Bordo 6000 vs Foldylock Compact on CCS/CCX

andyraf

For people who people comparing the ABus Bordo 6000 to the Foldylock Compact...
I bought the Foldylock Compact it works fairly well. With the holder attached to the toptube, there's just enough room/play to slide the lock forward into/out of the holder. Other than that, the only downside is that you need to take the lock out of the holder to remove the battery. I'm curious whether the ABus Bordo 6000 fits any better or worse (or if there are other folding locks that work well).
IMG_20190511_135725432.jpg

For people who people comparing the ABus Bordo 6000 to the Foldylock Compact...
I bought the Foldylock Compact it works fairly well. With the holder attached to the toptube, there's just enough room/play to slide the lock forward into/out of the holder. Other than that, the only downside is that you need to take the lock out of the holder to remove the battery. I'm curious whether the ABus Bordo 6000 fits any better or worse (or if there are other folding locks that work well).
View attachment 33166
I have the Abus 6500 and it fits pretty well on my CCS XL frame and can install/remove battery no problem with the lock in. Same lock on my wife's CCS Medium frame and I had to install it on the top tube using the straps and pushed all the way to the back and she has to twist the lock up around to the side to remove/install the battery. The only problem is the lock doesn't sit flush to the tube because of the eye holes protrude from the frame

Attachments

• 20190511_122059.jpg
    20190511_122059.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
I don't remove the battery, bit I also don't park mine in public places in Seattle for more than a few minutes.

I velcroed the TiGR mini lock to my battery. Never had issues and the placement worked well.

Folding Lock:
I use the Bordo 6500 - velcro case is just to the side and behind on the .... um.. seatpost tube? ...

The normal 6500 has been fine for short lockups, and i'm in a collage town -- I just wish that they had the longer model available when I got mine.
The normal models is 80cm, but the 110cm variant would have been more useful with the RCS's fat tires.
(Link to the 110cm model https://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Sec...locks/BORDO-GRANIT-XPlus-6500/(variant)/78067 )

Chain + Lock:
For longer term I use a security chain + higher end Abus lock with my e-bike.
I went with the newer Laclede 10mm security chain from WestTech Rigging (i'm on the west coast).
https://www.westechrigging.com/chain-security-chain.html

I use the Abus 37RK/55 55mm Granit Padlock Rekeyable 07783 for my lock.

WARNING: The 37/55 and the Bordo line can't be keyed alike (I thought they could and thus got the RK/ReKeyable variant).

I use the full chain/lock + folding lock when I take my bike to Costco or the swimming pool (both are close to a large homeless shelter and a full on homeless camp). So far the chain and lock are a bit scratched from attempts, and I will need a new sleeve for the chain soon.

Please note - the lock and chain are heavy, not practical to take with you unless you have a powerful ebike with good size battery.

Back