Hi from Seattle - first bike after 10 years

azjet77

Region
USA
City
Seattle
Hello from a newly minted Turbo Vado 4.0 owner in Seattle!

I've been bike-less for over a decade, but the sight of e-bikes around the city finally spurred me to explore them at a LBS. I tested a variety, but my initial ride on a Turbo Vado totally captivated me. With the summer sale in effect and the 5.0 model sold out, I pulled the trigger on a 4.0 with an XL frame. My primary use will be in-town rides, city trails, grocery and farmer market runs, and perhaps a ferry trip to the islands. Of course, now I need to invest in tools and accessories, and I'm seeking guidance on the latest advancements since I last owned a bike.

A friend recommended going tubeless, but I've never used those before. Is it worth doing right away, or should I wait and see how my bike handles the Seattle streets? I do plan on adding tire liners (Mr Tuffy).

I favor frame locks, and it sounds like the Abus 4750X or 5750/5755L will fit this frame - is that correct? Additionally, should I consider a folding or cable lock to supplement the frame one? The Abus Bordo 6000/6500 looks good but is also described as "heavy, massive and STRONG", so – worth the weight, I guess?

I've picked up the Park Tool PMP-3.2 micro pump for now, but need a floor pump too – any favored brands/models?

Lastly, I need a means to carry tools and such. Recommendations between a saddle bag, handlebar bag, or trunk bag are appreciated. I plan to add panniers soon as well.

Thanks!

IMG_6325.JPG

If your rims aren't tubeless-ready it would be impossible/way too expensive to be worth going tubeless barring some sort of very special need. Even if the rims are tubeless ready, there is little-to-no reason to toss the tires you have now. It's subject to debate, but I've never been convinced that tubeless tires have any real advantage over tubes, except maybe for mountain bikes or racing. Otherwise, the need for tubeless tires is way over there where the bell curve starts flattening out. Others will disagree.

One of the main things that tubeless tires have going for them is that they require sealant. You can put sealant in your tubes, negating that tubeless advantage. I use Slime and it's worked extremely well for me, or else I've been absurdly lucky. There are others, like FlatOut, Stans, and more. Search the forum for discussion on sealants for more info. People do have their favorite brands....

TT

Last edited:
Aloha from Hawaii.
Tubed tires are too involved to mend in the field.
Tubeless, are inexpensive to maintain take your ebike to a Specialized factory certified dealer service and have them set it up.
Surprised that they did not recommend it in at time of purchase.
I mentioned that tube/tubeless is open for debate and I suppose it depends on your comfort level, but a) with sealant in your tubes you're unlikely to have flat, b) if you do, well, let me say, when I have a flat that doesn't self-seal I don't think it's too involved to fix it.

A lot of people who run tubeless carry a tube in their kit in case their tire isn't fixable. Point being, if you do go tubeless you still need the skills and all the tools you need with tubed tires.

I suppose if you can get Specialized to swap out your wheels and tires for free it might be worth it if you really want tubeless tires, but if you have to pay for the conversion, I still say it only makes sense to wait until it's time for new tires anyway.

TT

Good point. A lot can depend on where you ride and how far you get from help. Not sure how that relates to the tube/tubeless question though.

TT

Oh, did not realize that. Guess I'd better get up to speed on changing/patching tubes!
Congrats on your ride and welcome to the forum, may you have many miles of smooth riding! 🙏🚲🌈

Punctures are part chance and luck, but there's plenty you can do to put the odds in your favour without going tubeless:

Passive:
* beefier tubes (ie. Tioga Thornproof)
* tubes with sealant
* tyre liners (ie. Tannus Armour)
* puncture rated tyres (ie. Marathon Plus)

Active:
* avoid riding past construction and work sites
* Where safe, keep out of the gutters or verge
* ride on MUPs
* actively avoid glass and debris where possible
* carry a puncture repair kit and pump, and know how to use them

From my experience the more passive protection the heavier and duller the ride, so it's somewhat of a trade-off between ride feel and convenience. Before going tubeless I ran Marathons + Tannus. No punctures in 2 years of daily commuting but they rode heavy.

Congrats on your ride and welcome to the forum, may you have many miles of smooth riding! 🙏🚲🌈
Thanks!

From my experience the more passive protection the heavier and duller the ride, so it's somewhat of a trade-off between ride feel and convenience. Before going tubeless I ran Marathons + Tannus. No punctures in 2 years of daily commuting but they rode heavy.

Very good points and definitely a trade-off to consider. Going to see how I fare with the tire liners first..

I just got a Turbo Vado 5.0 SL step through last month and that bike is SO fun to ride! I upgraded to tubeless Gravel King SK tires. With those tires and an add-on Kinekt suspension seat post, I can readily cruise through the streets of Bellingham WA or on the local gravel trails. It's a great combo and makes the bike *almost* feel like the cushier Turbo Como but it is decidedly more sporty and the lighter overall weight is an advantage. I ended up getting a RoadRunner Auto Pilot Stem Bag with a separate cap (the feed bag lid) for my keys, phone, etc. I was looking for a more traditional handlebar bag but the reflector and headlight set up made that option less than ideal. https://roadrunnerbags.us/collections/handlebar-bags/products/auto-pilot

Congratulations, @dizastro!

A question of curiosity: Why the Panaracer tyres? You could be well off with Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss?
Thank you @Stefan Mikes :) I LOVE this bike!
As I was demo'ing the different models, I found that I really liked the geometry of this bike but it was a lot less comfortable to ride. The LBS put the suspension seat post for a test ride which pretty much sold me and then my husband suggested getting fatter tires. The LBS had these in house and he *really* likes the Panaracer tires. I am a wife who likes to ride with the hubs and he is a genuine bike geek who gets into these details. We didn't even see the Pathfinder at the LBS and these were an easy choice. The sales guy said they were the fattest tire they could install with the fenders and I live in rainy WA state so fenders remain a must have. Thus far, the combo has been great.

Thank you @Stefan Mikes :) I LOVE this bike!
As I was demo'ing the different models, I found that I really liked the geometry of this bike but it was a lot less comfortable to ride. The LBS put the suspension seat post for a test ride which pretty much sold me and then my husband suggested getting fatter tires. The LBS had these in house and he *really* likes the Panaracer tires. I am a wife who likes to ride with the hubs and he is a genuine bike geek who gets into these details. We didn't even see the Pathfinder at the LBS and these were an easy choice. The sales guy said they were the fattest tire they could install with the fenders and I live in rainy WA state so fenders remain a must have. Thus far, the combo has been great.
Thank you for the detailed answer! AFAIK Panaracers are very good but perhaps do not last long if you ride a lot. Besides, could you check the tyre size, I mean, the width?

You're going to love your Vado SL 5.0! It has the FutureShock front suspension, which I tested and found to be just excellent! You have added the Kinekt 2.1, meaning, your rides would be buttery smooth! (Sometimes I regret I did not buy the 5.0 but 4.0 but there was no 5.0 in the colour I would like at that time!) :)

Thank you for the detailed answer! AFAIK Panaracers are very good but perhaps do not last long if you ride a lot. Besides, could you check the tyre size, I mean, the width?

You're going to love your Vado SL 5.0! It has the FutureShock front suspension, which I tested and found to be just excellent! You have added the Kinekt 2.1, meaning, your rides would be buttery smooth! (Sometimes I regret I did not buy the 5.0 but 4.0 but there was no 5.0 in the colour I would like at that time!) :)
I got the 700 x 43 set up tubeless and they really make a big difference in the quality of the ride. LBS noted that this is the biggest tire that would work with the fenders. I guess we'll see how long they do last!

I just got a Turbo Vado 5.0 SL step through last month and that bike is SO fun to ride! I upgraded to tubeless Gravel King SK tires. With those tires and an add-on Kinekt suspension seat post, I can readily cruise through the streets of Bellingham WA or on the local gravel trails. It's a great combo and makes the bike *almost* feel like the cushier Turbo Como but it is decidedly more sporty and the lighter overall weight is an advantage. I ended up getting a RoadRunner Auto Pilot Stem Bag with a separate cap (the feed bag lid) for my keys, phone, etc. I was looking for a more traditional handlebar bag but the reflector and headlight set up made that option less than ideal. https://roadrunnerbags.us/collections/handlebar-bags/products/auto-pilot
Welcome to EBR. Another Hamster here. We have some good bike infrastructure in B'ham (bike lanes and MUPs), but have some really ugly spots, such as Meridian St. and James St. north of Sunset Square. We also lack bike racks at some establishments, or have inadequate ones. My favorite trail is the Railroad Trail up to Lake Whatcom. I currently ride an Ariel Rider C class (step thru), mostly for errands and meet-ups. Specialized is definitely on my short list for my next bike, whenever that may happen.

Welcome and suggestions as follows.

Joe Blow are good pumps.
IMG_2464.jpeg

Ortllieb are excellent bags.
IMG_2465.jpeg

I have both of these and rate them very highly.

DG…

Back