Lock combo for Turbo Vado 4

azjet77

Region
USA
City
Seattle
Brand new owner of a Turbo Vado 4.0 here. I live in West Seattle (definitely more of a suburban feel) and ride the bike mostly for pleasure/errands. I've been researching the currently available locks and have narrowed my choices down to a frame lock + folding lock. Was wondering what you guys think of the following combo:
  • Frame lock: Abus 5755L since there are reports here of being able to mount it on the frame easily
  • Folding lock: either Abus Bordo 6500 or Foldylock Classic
I looked at Foldylock Compact as well, but after measuring the distance around the wheel + frame + whatever it will lock around, 85cm didn't seem like enough. Classic has 95cm which sounds much better.

I think that Abus cafe lock has an optional chain (with choker) if you want to stick with one system.

I have a FoldyLock compact on my Aventure.2 (which is pretty chunky) and it works fine. When it's too short, it's because the thing I need to lock around is too big. For situations like that, a choker-style chain would work way better.

I also have an Abus Bordo Ugrip Lite 6055/60cm and it is kind of a piece of crap, BUT it fits in the weird spot on my Tero X. That is a very short folding lock. It's just barely enough to lock the back wheel to the frame. It's fine to lock the skinny part of the bike to a skinny object. As a lock it is definitely for keeping honest people honest more than it is for discouraging thieves.

The only locks on the market that I know of that might make an angle-grinding thief think twice are the LITELOK X1/X3 and the Hiplok D1000.

Most of those Abus frame locks also have a slot to add a chain as well. The level of security the frame lock provides will determine what size chain the slot will accept. Also note: Some frame locks require you to leave the key IN the lock while riding. I prefer the removable key myself.

Folding locks are good, not great. This is from a Foldylock junkie that has 3 of them. If you ride into a higher crime area consider a U-lock instead. I live and ride in a medium security area. I don't worry to much about someone trying to break my Foldylock for a tatty looking Lectric XP.

Final side note: Lock your ebike up in your garage as well. Stay secure at all times. It will get you used to always using the locks as well.

Nice choice in ebike as well!

Most of those Abus frame locks also have a slot to add a chain as well. The level of security the frame lock provides will determine what size chain the slot will accept. Also note: Some frame locks require you to leave the key IN the lock while riding. I prefer the removable key myself.
I think retaining versions are difficult to find in the US anyway.

Folding locks are good, not great. This is from a Foldylock junkie that has 3 of them. If you ride into a higher crime area consider a U-lock instead. I live and ride in a medium security area. I don't worry to much about someone trying to break my Foldylock for a tatty looking Lectric XP.
So, would an Abus frame lock + Abus chain be pretty similar to frame lock + Foldylock (Compact or Classic), security-wise?

Final side note: Lock your ebike up in your garage as well. Stay secure at all times. It will get you used to always using the locks as well.

Nice choice in ebike as well!
Yes, definitely! My last bike was stolen from the garage...

I think that Abus cafe lock has an optional chain (with choker) if you want to stick with one system.

I can't seem to determine whether Abus 5755L supports a chain and if so, which one.. Might require a call to Lockitt or another dealer.

I use the D1000 too.

Expensive, can still be cut, but so much better than everything else.

From what I saw LiteLok is just as resistant to grinders, but it has more flex once you've cut one side of it. In some situations that could mean just one cut is required instead of two.

I use the D1000 too.

Expensive, can still be cut, but so much better than everything else.

From what I saw LiteLok is just as resistant to grinders, but it has more flex once you've cut one side of it. In some situations that could mean just one cut is required instead of two.
I wonder if the d1000 is as good as I saw on YouTube videos because compared to any other locks that is so much better, almost suspicious haha
With this one I’m not that afraid to let my Vado 4 in the street of manhattan for several hours during the night.

I wonder if the d1000 is as good as I saw on YouTube videos because compared to any other locks that is so much better, almost suspicious haha
With this one I’m not that afraid to let my Vado 4 in the street of manhattan for several hours during the night.
Can't speak for NYC, but I use a chain lock in addition to the D1000 and even then I'm a little worried. :D

Brand new owner of a Turbo Vado 4.0 here. I live in West Seattle (definitely more of a suburban feel) and ride the bike mostly for pleasure/errands. I've been researching the currently available locks and have narrowed my choices down to a frame lock + folding lock. Was wondering what you guys think of the following combo:
  • Frame lock: Abus 5755L since there are reports here of being able to mount it on the frame easily
  • Folding lock: either Abus Bordo 6500 or Foldylock Classic
I looked at Foldylock Compact as well, but after measuring the distance around the wheel + frame + whatever it will lock around, 85cm didn't seem like enough. Classic has 95cm which sounds much better.
I have a 2019 Vado 3.0 and I use an ABUS frame lock, with the additional security chain, and an ABUS folding lock with an alarm. I live in a small town in California's Central Valley and rarely leave the bike anywhere and I am not in a high-risk area, but I could never replace my bike so the best plan is to ensure I never lose it. Luckily, my bike is purely for recreation and I don't use it for commuting so I am almost never anywhere where I am not with it. I have left it locked up at Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey for a short period of time, but that is about it. My security chain and folding lock allowed me to secure all four of bikes, so that was very convenient. If you plan to use these locks for relatively short periods of time I would say you are probably fine, but I would never consider leaving my bike anywhere I could not see it for anything longer than a half-hour or so.

From what I saw LiteLok is just as resistant to grinders, but it has more flex once you've cut one side of it
I saw someone compare all three, and it looks like the order is X3 (strongest), D1000, X1 (weakest, but still better than any plain metal of similar thickness). I've seen the flex thing too, but it doesn't seem like an issue when the lock is used on a bike (because bike tubes are fat relative to the gap. The X1/X3 also have more space inside the U

I wonder if the d1000 is as good as I saw on YouTube videos because compared to any other locks that is so much better
Those locks do have a grinder resistant material in the lock. It's hard enough that it erodes discs. You can still cut through them, but it destroys the discs pretty quickly, so it requires at least one disc change which is already a lot of overhead for a quick thief. The D1000 and X3 might require 3-4 total.

This may be a dumb question, but with the ABUS frame lock + adapter chain combo, after I plug the chain into the frame lock, should I wrap it just around frame (and bike stand) or try to get it through the front wheel too? If the latter, doesn't seem like the 6KS/85 chain would be long enough to do that...

You definitely want to wrap the chain around the bike stand or whatever permanent item you are locking the bike to. Once you have done that the front tire and/or the frame would be a bonus.

This may be a dumb question, but with the ABUS frame lock + adapter chain combo, after I plug the chain into the frame lock, should I wrap it just around frame (and bike stand) or try to get it through the front wheel too? If the latter, doesn't seem like the 6KS/85 chain would be long enough to do that...
Chain has a ring at the end, so you run chain around your post or whatever and then plug into the lock.

I can't seem to determine whether Abus 5755L supports a chain and if so, which one.. Might require a call to Lockitt or another dealer.
Supports any of the Abus plug in chains. I chose the 6KS100

I ordered my Abus 5755L R from Amazon.de shipped to the US. it’s a little smaller than the 4750X yet fits my 2022 Vado 4.0 well. Key retaining locks are tough to find in the US.

I like the retaining type since I always have the key with the bike. I otherwise carry no keyring so I could easily go for a ride and then be unable to use the lock because I forgot the darn key.

See my posts from last summer for pics / details

Back