Flat tires - how much of a problem should I expect?

Operator7

As I ponder my purchase of an ST1 or ST2, can you share your opinion/feedback on how often I can expect to get a flat tire, and if I will be able to repair it myself if it happens with me miles away from home?

By the way, the local bike shop (Bike Attack) told me that they can provide special tire treatments at the time of purchase, which would all but ensure me not getting a flat tire... Is this correct? Is this something standard, and/or a tire treatment I might receive from other bike shops?

my shop slimed the innertubes for my fat bike. I kept having flat tires from micro punctures of the prickly grass and brush in the woods. I went to my LBS and bought two new innertubes and the guy offered to slime them for me. Interestingly enough I didn't swap the innertubes until about 5 months later (last week) when I was swapping studded tires for normal tires.

Slime works sometimes... often not. Far, far from foolproof.

http://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/21249-slime-innertubes-do-they-work.html

A super tire like the Schwalbe Marathon Plus is your best bet, and they still get flats too. You could also add slimed tubes to that, I guess.

Flats are unavoidable.

If they actually said it would "all but ensure you don't get a flat", then I would question anything at all that they tell you because thats flat out (pun intended) a lie.

Will you be able to fix the flat on the road? you have already indicated that, like me, your mechanical skills aren't top notch.

I think I could quick disconnect the motor, pull the tire out from the chain, fix the flat, then get the tire back in the chain, get the disc brake aligned right, change a flat on the road, after studying and practicing it enough ..
but it would still take me three times as long as most people! :)

There are no guarantees that you won't ever get a flat no matter how you prepare your bike. I tried that slime once....way too much hassle from it plugging up the valve stem and then trying to add air to the tube. I find Stopflats2 inner liner or one similar product and a thorn resistant tube is still the best insurance against getting a flat. I would also recommend Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour Tires. So far no flats for me...knock on wood.

The Big Bens on ST1 and ST2 are pretty tough. The usual Big Bens come with Raceguard or Evo line of Schwalbe puncture protection.
But, those Big Bens have been modified to include 3mm greenguard compound. So, it's like marathon version of Big Bens. I still don't like getting flats on my commute (especially if I have to teach class). So, I put Mr. Tuffy tire liner and I had 2 flats in a week. All because of liners pinching the tube. So, make sure you sandpaper the edges. However, it's a breeze to remove the rear wheel.

Schwalbe rates Big Ben at 4 of 6 in puncture protection. For avoiding flats, a better "balloon tire" choice is the Big Apple Plus at 5 of 6.

In fact, for flat resistance, in Schwalbe, look for "Plus" in the name.

I got a flat on the road and did not have the tools to take off the rear wheel. Wen I got home it was not trivial to remove the rear tire. I will practice wheel removal (front and back), Will also put together a tool kit, pump and spare tube for future rides. Is there any special requirement for tube replacement on an ST1? I will probably get a spare tube instead of a patch kit. An appropriate wrench and either a pump or CO2 to fill. That is a lot of stuff! Was going to get liners but from the feedback here, it could cause more problems (pinching).

I got a flat on the road and did not have the tools to take off the rear wheel. Wen I got home it was not trivial to remove the rear tire. I will practice wheel removal (front and back), Will also put together a tool kit, pump and spare tube for future rides. Is there any special requirement for tube replacement on an ST1? I will probably get a spare tube instead of a patch kit. An appropriate wrench and either a pump or CO2 to fill. That is a lot of stuff! Was going to get liners but from the feedback here, it could cause more problems (pinching).
Check out this thread:
http://electricbikereview.com/community/threads/dont-remove-that-wheel-to-fix-a-flat.1971/

There are a lot of good hard case tires on the market, I like my current Schwalbe's, but I also have Bontrager (Trek's house brand) tires on a non-e-bike that have a few thousand miles without a flat. I tried Kenda Kouriers w/K-shield and had a total blowout at 1200 miles.

J.R. Thanks for the video of the tube that can be installed without taking off the wheel. I will think about that.
SOrry for such a basic question, but will this be a sufficient tube replacement for the stock Schwable tires on the bike or are the stock tubes more "hefty". (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) I got about 1000 miles on my ST1 before I got a flat and it was so painful that I dont feel comfortable riding without a backup.

Does anyone know what size tubes will fit the stock ST2 wheels? I don't yet have my ST2 (it is in shipment), and don't want to get stuck with a flat on my first ride like I did with my last bike.

I am very happy with the Michelin City Protek plus tire. The tires have a substantial tread w/a low rolling resistance. I expect to be cycling trouble free with these babies and a dose of slime in the inner tubes as well!
Here is a link to some similar Michelin tires:
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/michelin-protek-max-700c-tire
John, do you use the recommended amount of slime, more, less? And do you have any problems with wobble at speed?

I've used Michelin's on non-e-bikes, very high quality tires!

DO NOT USE SLIME!.. any decent shop worth walking into should tell you this. Just as other folks in this thread have mentioned it clogs and it's performance fades very quickly. Use Stan's NoTube Sealant injected into the tubes. It is the best sealant on the market. Stan's recommends 2 ounces per wheel. I have been using Stan's for over 10 years and have learned that 4-6 ounces extends the life of the performance to over 9 months. So basically each spring you "recharge your system" by replacing the tubes and doing it again.

As far as additional protection you can use tire liners and thorn resistant tubes. I personally put all my faith into Stan's and do not effect my ride quality by adding liners and TR tubes that can stiffen the tires in an undesirable way.

Note. I have no experience with the Marathon tire but there is no way I am changing out the Big Bens for something else. I have never meet a tire that can preform at the levels this tire does. I can take 28 mph, 90 degree corners on a narrow 2 lane residential neighborhood with the bike leaned at angles lower than 45 degrees. THAT IS SOME SERIOUS GRIP is this genre of tire.

Back