Flat tires - how much of a problem should I expect?

Hmmmm, do other bike shops "slime" the innertubes?
I have used "Slime" for several years now in the tubes of all bikes. Seriously good stuff! You don't need to pester a bike shop to install the stuff. You can purchase pre-Slimed tubes. Also consider buying Slime.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....105421999511131.12409.100001299952248&type=3

Easy Instructions for adding Slime compound to inner tubes and tubeless tires are on the package.I add it to inner tubes that have Schrader style valves, -very easy to do and great insurance for staying flat-free while on the road. One thing to note is my recommendation for replacing a punctured "Slimed" tube: Once punctured, it is difficult to patch a slimed inner-tube. Patches don't adhere well a wet inner tube.

Last edited:
The controversy between "Stan's" and Slime continues? I have used both over the past several years. SLIME has proven it's superiority to me. Stan's has coagulated into a rubber mass inside my tubes during off-season storage. I get multi-year use with Slimed tubes, -it holds up without coagulation during off-season.

Two flats in 9800 miles, pretty lucky for road riding. I carry slime with me. When I get a flat, I remove the stem core, squeeze in 8 oz. of slime, screw the stem core back in and spin the tire to distribute the slime. This has worked every time, one flat being a roofing nail (not a micro puncture). When I get home, I change the tube that I slimed to get home. Carry an 8 0z. bottle of slime, stem core wrench, and CO2 cartridges all fit in my small seat bag. Much easier then carrying wrenches, tubes, etc., changing a rear tire on an ST-1 on the road is not easy.
I like your solution of using slime as a quick fix until you can home and replace the tube. Thanks for the information.

John, do you use the recommended amount of slime, more, less? And do you have any problems with wobble at speed?

Wow, J.R.! I've just read your "wobble"question. Do you assume that a liquid compound in bike tubes contributes to wobble? While wobble is a serious issue if trying to ride "no-hands" -it's impossible to do with my e-bike. I attribute the e-bike wobble situation to the geared hub motor.

Back