Flat tires - how much of a problem should I expect?

Stromer tires and tubes are excellent. Doubt your local shop will have the same quality. Order a set on line so u have them ready

Stromer buys Schwalbe tires to put on their bikes, which, after researching, is the same brand that I bought for my Haibike (I got the Marathon Plus). The Denver area has a number of bike shops that carry this brand, so you can probably find them where you are, but not at every shop! For example, stores with Trek mostly carry their own brand, Bontrager (whose Hardcase line also offers good flat resistance by the way).

The Big Bens on ST1 and ST2 are pretty tough. The usual Big Bens come with Raceguard or Evo line of Schwalbe puncture protection.
But, those Big Bens have been modified to include 3mm greenguard compound. So, it's like marathon version of Big Bens.

Are you saying that Stromer's Big Bens on the ST2 are different than the standard Big Bens? The Stromer's have the HS439 model number molded into the sidewall, so other than the "+Stromer-" printing on the sidewall, I was assuming they were the same. I just ordered one to replace the stock tire that is experiencing splitting of the rubber on the sidewall near the rim.

If they are different, is the GreenGuard layer an insert that can be removed from the old tire and inserted into the new one?

Last edited:
Are you saying that Stromer's Big Bens on the ST2 are different than the standard Big Bens? The Stromer's have the HS439 model number molded into the sidewall, so other than the "+Stromer-" printing on the sidewall, I was assuming they were the same. I just ordered one to replace the stock tire that is experiencing splitting of the rubber on the sidewall near the rim.

If they are different, is the GreenGuard layer an insert that can be removed from the old tire and inserted into the new one?

Stromer says that Schwalbe "developed specially" a version of the Big Ben for them. If you are ordering direct from Schwalbe, you could consider the Big Apple Plus.

"Greenguard" is not a liner or like that, but instead it is an integral part of the tire.

Last edited:
Stromer says that Schwalbe "developed specially" a version of the Big Ben for them. If you are ordering direct from Schwalbe, you could consider the Big Apple Plus.

"Greenguard" is not a liner or like that, but instead it is an integral part of the tire.

Once the replacement Big Ben arrives, I'll cut open the Stromer version to see what's inside.

Can the Stromer version of the tire be purchased anywhere?

It's like carrying an umbrella with you when there's a chance of rain. It hardly seems to rain when one does that, but if you don't have an umbrella with you, it seems like the chance of rain goes way up!

Does anyone know what size tubes will fit the stock ST2 wheels? I don't yet have my ST2 (it is in shipment), and don't want to get stuck with a flat on my first ride like I did with my last bike.

they size by the tire size. It's on the sidewall. make sure you get the correct (WIDE) width.

Schwalbe rates Big Ben at 4 of 6 in puncture protection. For avoiding flats, a better "balloon tire" choice is the Big Apple Plus at 5 of 6.

In fact, for flat resistance, in Schwalbe, look for "Plus" in the name.
There isn't much reviews on Big Apple Plus
How does Marathon GG RLx compared to Big Ben and Big Apple?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 484
There isn't much reviews on Big Apple Plus
How does Marathon GG RLx compared to Big Ben and Big Apple?

Kim,
The stock tires on ST1 are already heavy duty. With a liner and rugged XLC tube, you shouldn't have problem.
Big Apple Plus are really replacement but it's about the same as stock Big Ben on ST1.

Kim,
The stock tires on ST1 are already heavy duty. With a liner and rugged XLC tube, you shouldn't have problem.
Big Apple Plus are really replacement but it's about the same as stock Big Ben on ST1.
Thx but my question was on Marathon GG rlx in comparison to other 2 tires

They are great.
Hub motor bikes like ST1 would benefit from Balloon tires like Big Ben or Big Apple. The volume of air they can hold and the TPI (treads per sq inch) are slightly higher on these two. As a result, these are slightly more forgiving and give you cushy ride. Marathon GG Rlx on the other hand is slightly narrower (2" not 2.15"), the ride won't be as comfy as the other two but nevertheless a good tire.

As luck would have it I got a flat on the rear tire the first night I went for a long ride on my ST2. Fortunately it was what appeared to be a thumb tack and the tire held it air until the next morning. Since then I've gotten all the tools and spares together to be sure I can handle a roadside repair. The change of inner tube was very straight forward at home and the disconnect plug works very nicely for removing the rear wheel wiring. My dealer warned me to be sure to make sure the wires that exit the frame are correctly repositioned behind a small retaining tab. I don't want to think about what might happen if loose wires got wrapped around the hub at 20 plus mph.

I recently bought a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Deluxe 26x2.00 tires because they are suppose to have great puncture resistance and I want to try a slightly smaller tire (2.15 vs 2.0) to see if I can gain a tiny bit more fender clearance. I haven't installed them yet but they look really nice and they have the added reflective sidewalls. I'll report back once I have them up and running.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/marathon_deluxe

Here is the link to the Schwalbe tire you note.
http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/marathon_420

I cannot tell you how they rate against the other two tires you mention, but I can tell you I own and ride these 420's. They are the "Original Marathons", are puncture resistant, sticky compound and are very good road tires that work well in the wet and dry. I have more than 1500 miles on them with my 60lb ebike and they are holding up very well! They roll fast and easy.

That being said the 2" size are not ECE-R75 (ebike ready) rated. See the link I noted for the list of all the 420's. I did get the 2" and I haven't had any problems; no flats, good traction and good - fast ride.

The Schwalbe site is jam-packed with information, if you want to know about bike tires start there. The process I went through buying tires is this thread: http://electricbikereview.com/community/threads/need-new-tires-marathon-or-marathon.1713/

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up on the other thread and the tires. I think we are actually talking about two very similar but different tires. Both called Marathon HS 420 but the one you linked to appears to be the original while the "Deluxe" version which I bought is the luxury version, which means I paid 2x for them and they do appear to be ECE-R75 tires from the clipping below. Oh yeah it also looks like saved a pound in weight for my 62 lb bike. Whoopee.

I did take my Big Ben tires off road last weekend in a very controlled trail ride and they seem to work very nicely so I've been slow to swap them out.

Especially when they enable a view like below.
image.jpg

Clipped from Schwalbe site

The ALLROUNDER for all occasions. Marathon Deluxe is the luxury version of the classic marathon. Saving almost half a kilo on the bike's tire weight. And with absolutely equivalent puncture protection! Made possible by our Double Defence Technology. With RoadStar Triple Compound for best performance on wet and dry.

E-Bike-Ready-50.gif
The Marathon Deluxe has ECE-R75 certification making it suitable for faster E-bikes.

Thanks for the heads-up on the other thread and the tires. I think we are actually talking about two very similar but different tires. Both called Marathon HS 420 but the one you linked to appears to be the original while the "Deluxe" version which I bought is the luxury version, which means I paid 2x for them and they do appear to be ECE-R75 tires from the clipping below. Oh yeah it also looks like saved a pound in weight for my 62 lb bike. Whoopee.

I did take my Big Ben tires off road last weekend in a very controlled trail ride and they seem to work very nicely so I've been slow to swap them out.

Especially when they enable a view like below.View attachment 3969

Clipped from Schwalbe site

The ALLROUNDER for all occasions. Marathon Deluxe is the luxury version of the classic marathon. Saving almost half a kilo on the bike's tire weight. And with absolutely equivalent puncture protection! Made possible by our Double Defence Technology. With RoadStar Triple Compound for best performance on wet and dry.

E-Bike-Ready-50.gif
The Marathon Deluxe has ECE-R75 certification making it suitable for faster E-bikes.
Hi John,

Glad you got the goods! My reply was to Cupid and his question about the 420-, not about the 420 Deluxe which I think is a plus style. Great tire! Even with the Original, several sizes are ECE-R75 rated, just not the 2". I imagine all could be if tested, that's OK I tested my 2" for me;)

I agree about the off road, I go off road most days and being careful is required with any of these road tires, because at speed these tires will wash out in loose ground.

My bad, apologies for jumping in and mixing up the conversation. I need to calm down, they're just bike tires, right?

Interesting conflicting recommendations on the use of certain brands of no leak tube compounds. Having had actual experience using Stan's and Slime, Slime has proven multi-year dependability.
spencer.justin states: "...4-6 ounces extends the life of the performance to over 9 months. So basically each spring you "recharge your system" by replacing the tubes and doing it again."
So it is clear that Stan's no-leak reliability is basically good for one year of use ("9 months"). The compound did not over-winter well in tubes.
Slime, on the other hand, does seem to hold up well year to year.
->here is documentation of the problem I experienced using "Stan's":
http://www.bikejournal.com/blog.asp?rname=bikerjohn&cdate=8/20/2013
Here is a photo of coagulated Stans No-Leak which I removed from an inner tube. This doesn't happen when I use "Slime".
100_2764.JPG

So it is confirmed that NYCEWheels sells the standard Schwalbe Big Ben tires. See the answer to the question on their (Link Removed - No Longer Exists).

Does anyone know where the custom Stromer branded Big Bens with GreenGuard puncture protection can be purchased?

Two flats in 9800 miles, pretty lucky for road riding. I carry slime with me. When I get a flat, I remove the stem core, squeeze in 8 oz. of slime, screw the stem core back in and spin the tire to distribute the slime. This has worked every time, one flat being a roofing nail (not a micro puncture). When I get home, I change the tube that I slimed to get home. Carry an 8 0z. bottle of slime, stem core wrench, and CO2 cartridges all fit in my small seat bag. Much easier then carrying wrenches, tubes, etc., changing a rear tire on an ST-1 on the road is not easy.

I'm with the no Slime crowd! Stromer supplie tires of excellent quality. No flats 3 years 3500 miles.

If you're going any distance, suggest taking a new tube and a tools.. Maybe want to practice removing and reinstalling a tube on the front rim.

Back