Finally a rival of Juiced? Surface 604 Shred

What happened here with this thread?.....weren't we supposed to be discussing Surface 604 compared to juiced?

I'm know I'm the minority here, but I don't put wider tires like other Juiced owners do.

I have 700 x 35c tires. Usually Continental or Michelin.
I tried Schwalbe Marathon Plus, but it was heavy, had poor grip, expensive, poor durability, maybe I had a lemon, I don't know.

As you know, the CC Air was not as fast as CCS or CCX (though I now have a CCS controller) so I decided to change the tires to see what happens.
I got this idea from other commuter bike, Yamaha CrossConnect.

To make a long story short, yeah the bike is noticeably faster, smoother, accelerates better with 35c tires.
It does tip over to the side quicker than 45c, so I had to get used to it but it wasn't bad at all.

I'm even more in the minority wanting a rigid fork and narrower tires. Maybe the result of years of riding road bikes, whatever the reason that's my preference and I know not many others here have that preference.

I'm even more in the minority wanting a rigid fork and narrower tires. Maybe the result of years of riding road bikes, whatever the reason that's my preference and I know not many others here have that preference.
well it is because we are going faser on ebikes and they can beat you up on rough surfaces. even with .19" tires I needed a good suspension seatpost or my body hurt with the punishment.

With the Ride1Up 700 and the imminent Aventon Level, Juiced loses its virtual lock on value priced Class 3 commuter e-bikes. And Juiced costs several hundred dollars more.

Juiced's only advantage is their bigger, 52V batteries now. I know the CCS had lost ground internally, to the RCS, then the Scrambler and now the Scorpion, because the CCS just wasn't as popular.

I still think there's room for them to compete, but that requires making an effort and updating their parts. If they moved to 27.5" wheels, a 60-70mm tire (2.35-2.8", like the Schwalbe Moto or G-One All-Round) would have the same size roughly, so no need to screw with the frame geometry. They could still charge a slight premium thanks to the 52V, but they'll need more finesse than they have now, when even a generic frame like Ride1Up's looks great. And since no frame work would be needed, it seems like a matter of swapping parts, which is just something you'd change between production batches (new wheels, fenders, tires). Maybe light and heavy versions, with small battery/rigid fork/lighter 2.4" tires vs large battery/quality suspension/2.8" tires.

But if I had to guess, I'd bet Juiced will let its commuter e-bike options languish and cede the market as it focuses on the Scorpion and whatever else.

I enjoyed my Juiced, but as it stands today, the Ride1Up would be my first choice.

1580742884525.png

1580742678214.png
1580742698733.png

Asher, I think they will keep the CCX. Won't be surprised to see the CCS go away. I wouldn't buy one today, I'd go for the CCX myself. I'm not unhappy with my CCS, I just like the added features of the CCX.

Asher, I think they will keep the CCX. Won't be surprised to see the CCS go away. I wouldn't buy one today, I'd go for the CCX myself. I'm not unhappy with my CCS, I just like the added features of the CCX.

Yeah plausible. I imagine it doesn't cost them much to keep a bike around when they've already gone to the trouble of fielding it for years.

For 2 years, maybe more, Juiced has been at a crossroads where they could staff up and mature as a company with multiple offerings and lines of development, smooth out product issues or stick to one new bike a year, and they've gone the latter route.

The Ride1Up looks so much better than Juiced CCX or CCS!!
Much cleaner look and great price.

The Ride1Up looks nice & I can see juiced going with a similar system eventually, but no torque sensing is a deal breaker & what makes Juiced unique.

The Ride1Up looks so much better than Juiced CCX or CCS!!
Much cleaner look and great price.

I know Juiced has 52V battery, but the HillEater Galiano has 52V and GMAC motor, and they openly advertised the Galiano will leave Juiced CCX in the dust.

I hope Tora steps up his game.
As an athlete, he should damn well know that in the world of competition, somebody will surpass you the next day.

looks like the Galiano won’t now come with the GMAC motor. Not according to their updated website anyway

I was a bit disappointed that it won't have the GMAC now, but they say the Ezee is similar and will have regen. When I go to the Grin website there is no mention of the Ezee having regen, so I wonder if it's a custom motor that they've contracted with Grin.

My biggest complaint about hub motors is the flat axle many of them use which makes it a huge pain to take the rear wheel on and off. If it has a round axle and a torque arm then I'm fine with it. I know the GMAC uses a torque arm, not sure about the Ezee.

looks like the Galiano won’t now come with the GMAC motor. Not according to their updated website anyway
The 52volt/Grin Galliano is indeed coming soon. Taken from hill eater Facebook page

The Ride1Up looks nice & I can see juiced going with a similar system eventually, but no torque sensing is a deal breaker & what makes Juiced unique.

May be difficult, those packs are really not designed to be larger than 48V 14ah. Definitely would be difficult to squeeze a large capacity 52V system in there unless much more expensive battery technology is used.

Nice bikes. Too bad I just bought a Creo, will have to wait a while before I buy another. But I see these bikes as good for running errands, not quite a cargo bike but still lots of utility.

No torque sensing is a deal breaker for me too.
I have a RC and tried the cadence several times. I much prefer the torque sensing. the tour sensing.
I have a RC and have tried cadence several times. I much prefer the torque sensing. I would not buy an e-bike without torque sensing on it.

No torque sensing is a deal breaker for me too.
I have a RC and tried the cadence several times. I much prefer the torque sensing. the tour sensing.

I have a RC and have tried cadence several times. I much prefer the torque sensing. I would not buy an e-bike without torque sensing on it.

I have a question about cadence sensors - if you try to keep your pedaling cadence constant by changing gears (as good bike technique dictates), and use a throttle to accelerate from a stop, shouldn't it be fairly similar to a torque sensor?

I've never owned a cadence sensor ebike. I think the JUMP bikes are cadence based, and I've used those a bunch and didn't mind.

What kind of bike do you have? I know Juiced has this function to turn off torque sensor and ride it cadence sensor only.

I prefer cadence sensor because it gives this zippy feeling
Had a juiced ccs, no longer have it. Never thought to turn off the torque sensor honestly.

I have a question about cadence sensors - if you try to keep your pedaling cadence constant by changing gears (as good bike technique dictates), and use a throttle to accelerate from a stop, shouldn't it be fairly similar to a torque sensor?

I've never owned a cadence sensor ebike. I think the JUMP bikes are cadence based, and I've used those a bunch and didn't mind.

I have a CC Air with the torque sensor upgrade. It feels different than cadence sensing, no matter what cadence/gear combo you apply when using just the cadence sensor. It's close, but you'll notice the difference when you try to put more power into the pedals. I greatly prefer the torque/cadence combo to strictly cadence sensor. It depends on your use case, though. Strictly cadence makes for an easier commute. Torque is more engaging, and feels closer to my road bike. YMMV

Back