Fat tire ebike for short rider

anndurango

Region
USA
Am shopping for a fat tire (3-4) inch step-through ebike for a short rider. Am 5' 4" tall woman with a 29" inseam, so I need an ebike with a low minimum seat height. Will be riding the ebike on grassy rolling terrain with a few short, steep hills. Long range isn't important, but stability and ease of control of bike is, especially restarting the bike from a dead stop on a hill. Need a 750 watt motor with at least 80 nm of torque. I'm looking to get a substantial ebike rebate from our local city, so to meet their requirements, the bike can't be Class 3 out of the box, although unlocking the bike's max speed via software to class 3 would be ok. Also can't have a full rear suspension, nor have a motor bigger than 750 watts. Will be using the bike to play golf (please don't hate me.....), so will be suspending the golf bag from a carrier on the back rack. Max load on the bike (including the rider and golf bag) will be about 200 lb. Budget is about $2-2.7K. I live in a small town in Colorado, and none of our local bike shops stock any of the models I've been researching online: Aventon Aventure 1 and 2, Rad Rover 6+, Biktrix Classic Duo, Biktrix Hub Duo, Velotric Nomad 1, Cyrusher Kommoda, Magicycle Ocelot Pro, Blix Dubbel, Lectricebike XPremium, Biktrix Stunner. Therefore, going to a local shop to test ride any of these bikes isn't possible. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help; I really need advice.

Are you able to travel to Denver for a test ride? Houshmand Moarefi's E-bikes USA store offers test rides, will service a bike bought from them, and will help fit you to a bike that meets your needs.

Am shopping for a fat tire (3-4) inch step-through ebike for a short rider. Am 5' 4" tall woman with a 29" inseam, so I need an ebike with a low minimum seat height. Will be riding the ebike on grassy rolling terrain with a few short, steep hills. Long range isn't important, but stability and ease of control of bike is, especially restarting the bike from a dead stop on a hill. Need a 750 watt motor with at least 80 nm of torque. I'm looking to get a substantial ebike rebate from our local city, so to meet their requirements, the bike can't be Class 3 out of the box, although unlocking the bike's max speed via software to class 3 would be ok. Also can't have a full rear suspension, nor have a motor bigger than 750 watts. Will be using the bike to play golf (please don't hate me.....), so will be suspending the golf bag from a carrier on the back rack. Max load on the bike (including the rider and golf bag) will be about 200 lb. Budget is about $2-2.7K. I live in a small town in Colorado, and none of our local bike shops stock any of the models I've been researching online: Aventon Aventure 1 and 2, Rad Rover 6+, Biktrix Classic Duo, Biktrix Hub Duo, Velotric Nomad 1, Cyrusher Kommoda, Magicycle Ocelot Pro, Blix Dubbel, Lectricebike XPremium, Biktrix Stunner. Therefore, going to a local shop to test ride any of these bikes isn't possible. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help; I really need advice.
You need to know that the fatties (26"x 4") are HUGE bikes! Further, they FEEL huge when riding them, especially at lower speeds. I would highly recommend you try something similar before ordering without seeing one in person first. BTW, I'm 6'2".....

Perhaps something with smaller wheels 20"x3-4"? KBO Bikes Ranger Cargo model, and Compact folder, use 20" wheels.

Last edited:
20” fat tire might be good like the Pedego Element. I have one. But beware that the smaller wheels are a bit twitchier but the wider tires stabilize you. The Element does a stupid thing and puts the controller at the bottom I believe causing the seat post to be restricted in how low it goes but I am 5’3” and have a suspension post and don’t find this bad. I don’t have it as low as it can go but I also jump forward off the seat when I stop.

A 24" fat tire bike will fit better and not look like a kid's bike. There are also many 20" bikes with fatties on, and the 20" wheels have the advantage of stronger torque - and better hill performance - thanks to the smaller wheel diameter. I spent years and many thousands of miles commuting on a fat bike. You can't beat them for stability and sure-footedness.

Are you able to travel to Denver for a test ride? Houshmand Moarefi's E-bikes USA store offers test rides, will service a bike bought from them, and will help fit you to a bike that meets your needs.
I cannot agree more. In fact Houshmand and I just spent the day canvassing pretty much the entire vendor area at the Sea Otter Classic here in Monterey CA. We've been friends online and over the phone for years and met in the real world for the first time today. Houshmand's shop in Cherry Creek is VERY well situated and the staff is experienced. I recognize the parameters you are describing for the bike rebates as we chatted about the program a bit today.

One of the things we discussed was the fact that fat tires are almost a universal want from ebike riders who are new to cycling. The stability and comfort at speed sells them when customers take test rides.

And I can tell you he's here looking at bikes that are right up your alley, so to speak. He's going to be here at the venue for at least another couple of days but I'd suggest calling the shop Monday if you want to speak to him directly. Google the store and take a look at their customer reviews.

Biktrix! send them your requirements and im sure Roshan and crew will help you select the perfect bike!

I would say knowing the travel time from Durango to Denver that option probably isn't realistic.

My suggestion though is to not solely focus on the fatter 4" side of tire width and go more for the 3" or even 2.8" size especially for a bike with 26" wheels. Other than that your list seems pretty complete as far as what is available for online purchase. Too bad the local shops aren't getting on board to help out people like yourself, probably scared that ebikes will take over their trail network when many can just benefit from having one to get to the golf course or market with......I'm sure they will wake up sooner or later!

I would say knowing the travel time from Durango to Denver that option probably isn't realistic.

My suggestion though is to not solely focus on the fatter 4" side of tire width and go more for the 3" or even 2.8" size especially for a bike with 26" wheels. Other than that your list seems pretty complete as far as what is available for online purchase. Too bad the local shops aren't getting on board to help out people like yourself, probably scared that ebikes will take over their trail network when many can just benefit from having one to get to the golf course or market with......I'm sure they will wake up sooner or later!
Thanks for your response. Of all the bikes listed in my original post, only one (Aventon Aventure 2) has a local dealer, and he doesn't stock them. Just does special orders, so I can't test ride one. It's a 6.5 hour drive to Denver from Durango, so a roundtrip would require an overnite stay in Denver, which puts the kibosh on visiting shops there. I appreciate your comments on tire width. Right now I'm leaning toward the Magicycle Ocelot Pro with 20x4 tires, but I'm unsure of Magicycle quality. I've been "down the rabbit hole" of ebike research so long now that daylight hurts my eyes......

Thanks for your response. It's a 13 hour round trip drive to Denver from my home. Of the ebikes on my list, E-Bikes stocks only the Aventons, so don't think it's worth a 2 day drive and overnite stay in Denver. But I appreciate your kind reply.

You need to know that the fatties (26"x 4") are HUGE bikes! Further, they FEEL huge when riding them, especially at lower speeds. I would highly recommend you try something similar before ordering without seeing one in person first. BTW, I'm 6'2".....
Thanks for your response. Yeah, the size of the fatties makes me nervous at my size, so am leaning toward the 20x4 or 20x4 ebikes.

20” fat tire might be good like the Pedego Element. I have one. But beware that the smaller wheels are a bit twitchier but the wider tires stabilize you. The Element does a stupid thing and puts the controller at the bottom I believe causing the seat post to , restricted in how low it goes but I am 5’3” and have a suspension post and don’t find this bad. I don’t have it as low as it can go but I also jump forward off the seat when I stop.
Thanks for your response. I appreciate getting a woman's perspective, and I agree with you that a 20x4 or 20x3 tire makes sense for women our height. Pedego looks like they make a nice bike, but the fact that their brakes are mechanical, not hydraulic, gives me pause.

Look at Burley Travoy trailer for carting your clubs around.
I appreciate your suggestion of using a trailer rather than a back rack mount for the golf bag. Am wondering, though, whether the side hills on our golf course would make the trailer tip over. I could be very wrong, but the trailers look like they need to be towed on level ground.

Trailers that I seen and own have swivel mounts, but still can cause bike to tip when parked. The clubs probably need to face forward, so they don't slide out the rear. On a nice course, I think the kickstands will dig into the turf and the bike will fall. I love ebike, and golf but don't see the two mixing well. Golf carts ain't that great when it's wet. I always try not to tear up the turf,
I've seen one ebike pulling a golf bag on a Chicagoland course. They also allowed baby strollers, doggers, joggers, all the locals on the cart path, Definitely had to make sure it was clear before spraying away.

Thanks for your response. I appreciate getting a woman's perspective, and I agree with you that a 20x4 or 20x3 tire makes sense for women our height. Pedego looks like they make a nice bike, but the fact that their brakes are mechanical, not hydraulic, gives me pause.
I also have another e-bike with hydraulic brakes and honestly I can't tell the difference.

Also, as a woman who is normal sized for a woman but small on the human continuum I suppose, don't forget to think about reach. This is a mistake I have made in the past. I find it very uncomfortable if I have to stretch to the bars so consider that when looking. You can always update a bike with different handlebars and stem risers but just something to keep in mind.

Trailers that I seen and own have swivel mounts, but still can cause bike to tip when parked. The clubs probably need to face forward, so they don't slide out the rear. On a nice course, I think the kickstands will dig into the turf and the bike will fall. I love ebike, and golf but don't see the two mixing well.
On a February trip to Aliso Viejo, CA, had occasion to walk the dog past a pretty upscale golf course. Lots of fat tire ebikes carrying golf clubs on the course, and not just on the cart paths.

Wondered about the effect on the grass, but nobody seemed worried, and no visible bike tire marks. Kickstands could be a different story, but again, no one seemed concerned.

Trailers that I seen and own have swivel mounts, but still can cause bike to tip when parked. The clubs probably need to face forward, so they don't slide out the rear. On a nice course, I think the kickstands will dig into the turf and the bike will fall. I love ebike, and golf but don't see the two mixing well. Golf carts ain't that great when it's wet. I always try not to tear up the turf,
I've seen one ebike pulling a golf bag on a Chicagoland course. They also allowed baby strollers, doggers, joggers, all the locals on the cart path, Definitely had to make sure it was clear before spraying away.

Thanks for your response. Our local course (which is a muni, but good quality), allows ebikes. There are 4 riders already, and more will apply to ride an ebike this year. (They have an application process to make sure that people don't bring high-powered scooters or moped-type bikes on the course.) There is a bag carrier attachment you can buy to attach the clubs to the rear rack. https://divnick.com/secure/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=78. It seems overpriced, but 2 people I know have it and say it works well. The bottom of the swivels out away from the bike when you stop and lean the bike over, thereby acting as a kickstand. It doesn't dig into wet turf.

Back