New to forum - Need thoughts on new ebikes

Confused yet? 😁

A lot of good input to get your head wrapped around. Eventually you'll need to sort your priorities and go for it.

Frey is a nice bike, but I don't think I'd have the patience to see that waiting time through.....
It's been a very confusing endeavor. I'm going to wait another month .... after we visit the mountains to purchase mine. I just replaced the HLT-100 850 lb. coil only shock on my wife's bike with a JFOYH Coil+Oil 650 lb. Adjustable Damping Shock. Feels like it will be a nice upgrade. Also added a Adjustable 0-60 Degree Handlebar Riser Extender to it to make it fit me a little better. Look forward to trying it out after this hurricane moves on through. If I keep this up, she's going to question whether I bought the bike for her or me. LOL

It's been a very confusing endeavor. I'm going to wait another month .... after we visit the mountains to purchase mine. I just replaced the HLT-100 850 lb. coil only shock on my wife's bike with a JFOYH Coil+Oil 650 lb. Adjustable Damping Shock. Feels like it will be a nice upgrade. Also added a Adjustable 0-60 Degree Handlebar Riser Extender to it to make it fit me a little better. Look forward to trying it out after this hurricane moves on through. If I keep this up, she's going to question whether I bought the bike for her or me. LOL
You aren't alone. I put more miles on two of wife's ebikes than her before buying mine.

2 more thoughts to add to the pile.
1st, there are production bikes available that haven't been brought up yet, that use Bafang's BBSHD and BBS02. This is a mid drive setup, with throttle, but without torque sensing (which helps control costs). Either would offer plenty of power in the hills, and both are well proven designs. The BBSHD actually offers the same power as the Bafang Ultra. There's quite a few available like this, but one of my favorites is by Rize. They make both hub and mid drive (check them out!), but the one I'm thinking of for you is this one:

OK, and 2nd, there's a mind set that has a tendency to buy the "last bike first". Like trying to find a "forever" home for your first. This will have a tendency to leave you searching specs. for months (years?). I would encourage you to try and avoid this, and find something that will "work" for you sooner than later. This bike is going to teach you a TON, but the bigger deal is it will let you get out and have some fun while taking off the pressure to find that perfect bike - even if it's not perfect. Buy it with the idea it's going to be passed on to another family member, sold, or just kept as a spare bike.

Good Hunting!!

Bareootj, have you test ridden any ebikes yet? It will certainly narrow your search. And you can determine if you prefer hub-drive or mid-drive.
Another thought, are you able to rent? Depending where you live, renting for a few hours or longer can really help you get a good feel for your needs.

2 more thoughts to add to the pile.
1st, there are production bikes available that haven't been brought up yet, that use Bafang's BBSHD and BBS02. This is a mid drive setup, with throttle, but without torque sensing (which helps control costs). Either would offer plenty of power in the hills, and both are well proven designs. The BBSHD actually offers the same power as the Bafang Ultra. There's quite a few available like this, but one of my favorites is by Rize. They make both hub and mid drive (check them out!), but the one I'm thinking of for you is this one:

OK, and 2nd, there's a mind set that has a tendency to buy the "last bike first". Like trying to find a "forever" home for your first. This will have a tendency to leave you searching specs. for months (years?). I would encourage you to try and avoid this, and find something that will "work" for you sooner than later. This bike is going to teach you a TON, but the bigger deal is it will let you get out and have some fun while taking off the pressure to find that perfect bike - even if it's not perfect. Buy it with the idea it's going to be passed on to another family member, sold, or just kept as a spare bike.

Good Hunting!!
Good advice. I have already been looking on and off for months. I told the sells person when buying our first RV that it would be our last as we were getting what we needed .... and I was convinced of that we were. He said "don't count on it" there will be something you don't like or want different. Well we kept our first RV only 2 years. I will check out your bike suggestions. Thanks.

Bareootj, have you test ridden any ebikes yet? It will certainly narrow your search. And you can determine if you prefer hub-drive or mid-drive.
Another thought, are you able to rent? Depending where you live, renting for a few hours or longer can really help you get a good feel for your needs.
We have ridden ebikes on guided tours through the desert near Tucson & through downtown Salt Lake City UT while on our travels. And now we have my wife's rear hub bike. We have never test rode a mid drive. I will look to see if REI or Pedego has one that we could test or rent. Thanks.

Good advice. I have already been looking on and off for months. I told the sells person when buying our first RV that it would be our last as we were getting what we needed .... and I was convinced of that we were. He said "don't count on it" there will be something you don't like or want different. Well we kept our first RV only 2 years. I will check out your bike suggestions. Thanks.
Yes, exactly like that! Our first didn't last that long. We were talking about replacing it the 3rd time out! We discovered that the dogs were in the way a lot of the time, and there was only room for one person at a time in the galley. 38' diesel pusher with a super slide solved all that handily!

Best of luck! -Al

I was able to test ride a couple of mid drives and a hub drive at a LBS before buying. I liked the mid drives, but concluded that a 750W hub with torque sensor was good enough for me. I thought I'd want FS, too, but bought a Ride1Up LMTD which has front fork only and then I added a Cloud9 spring seat, and I'm satisfied with that. FS wasn't worth the extra weight and expense for me. YMMV. I thought I'd wind up with a suspension seatpost (such as Kinekt) but now I see no need.

I have considered the mid drive motors (as mentioned above with the Frey, Biktrix, and Evelo), and they are a lot more money. Maybe I should try my wife's bike up some of the steep roads I mentioned above, before I consider other bikes.
I'm thinking of buying the 2023 Freesky Rocky 3. What I've read you shouldn't have issues w/ hills. Did you try it out on hills yet. Please let me know what you like & don't like about the FS Rocky, please. Short so I'm looking for everything this bike Freesky says it offers. I just am waiting to make sure nothing comes out I'll like better, 2 bikes have come out this moth that I liked. But the Rocky 3 is my #1 choice.

Back