Experience with Tongsheng 36v 350w mid-drive kit anyone?

EMGX

I am impressed with the Yamaha mid drive on my BH Gravel X and am interested in a torque sensing mid drive kit for my wife's bike. She doesn't ride more than 10-12mph max on 10 or less mile rides but she needs a lot of help with hills due to recent knee surgery. I've done a web search and most performance reviews are for the 48v 500w version. I have a good 36v 15a battery so I'm more interested in the 36v 350w version. If anyone has used this kit I would appreciate your opinion.

I have the 48V 500W version and I love it. I haven't tried the 36V 350W version, but my initial thought on mine was that I wished it had a bit more power. (I actually think it's fine now.) I'm about 185 pounds. If she's lighter than me and doesn't plan on riding a lot of hills, the 350W version may be fine.

I know this probably isn't a big help, since I have no way to compare them. However, if I were you, I would opt for the 48V. You'll never say, "I wish this didn't work so well". With the 36V, I can very easily imagine you wishing you had gone bigger. Just my two cents.

I hope it works out.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated and sort of what I was concerned about myself. I ended up cancelling the Tongsheng 36v 350w order because of uncertainties about performance and I'm not entirely sure if it would fit on her bike.

Regarding the fit, why do you think that would be a problem? Is it the width of the bottom bracket? It should fit most bikes. There's even a version (or an adapter) for wider bottom brackets.
What bike would you be using?

The only fitting issue I had was due to the battery pack. The common 48V battery pack that attaches to the water bottle mounts can be a bit high up for some bikes. I got an adapter for it.

It should fit most bikes.
But it can be difficult to set up on some frames. Returns are expensive if not impossible. It was very close on my frames. It also sits much lower and frankly, I find my 48V 750W rather anemic. It needs a different display and new firmware to be a decent motor. My 36V 350W BBS01B motors outperform.

Ah, I see. You actually have the 48V 750W TSDZ2 already. Cool. I know what you mean about finding it anemic. I actually got used to it, but I am tempted to get the open source firmware and Bafang controller for it. I hear that makes the TSDZ2 much more responsive and adds a lot more data that you can track. To me, that seems preferable to using a Bafang motor without the torque sensing.

I'm also looking at this new motor that will be coming to Indiegogo soon. https://www.lightest.bike/
It looks very interesting, though I'm hesitant to dive in.

Regarding the fit, why do you think that would be a problem? Is it the width of the bottom bracket? It should fit most bikes. There's even a version (or an adapter) for wider bottom brackets.
What bike would you be using?

The only fitting issue I had was due to the battery pack. The common 48V battery pack that attaches to the water bottle mounts can be a bit high up for some bikes. I got an adapter for it.

My wife's preferred bike is a Dahon Briza 24" folding bike. The lower protrusion of the seat tube would probably need to be cut off and the hinge might get in the way towards the front and the kickstand would probably need to be removed.

1583268075073.png

Yeah, folding bikes have several issues if you want to install a mid drive kit. Would it fit? Would it be too low? Would it get in the way of folding?

And for any folding bike conversion, where would you put the battery? Would you need a new rack? How do you deal with the extra cords when folding? It's doable, but seems like a pain.

I thought about converting a Dahon Mariner, but I'm sure it would be less than ideal, so I'll probably just ditch it. There are some purpose-built folding electric bikes out there that I'd probably consider instead.

Later this year, Stark Drive will try again to launch their "Stark Drive Torque", which looks like an awesome deal on a mid drive folding bike with a torque sensor. I'm curious to see how that turns out.

Schwinn step-thru, recently converted. Small hubmotor. Hanging two 20 cell 36V packs on the rack. Total is 36V 10AH.

I had intended to install my TSDZ2 on it, but it would hang straight down.

Attachments

• after.jpg
    after.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 744
  • battery_1.jpg
    battery_1.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 530
An awful picture but a BBS01B position on my Zizzo. Well out of the way!

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 11.33.56 AM.png

Hi!
I may say that I am in the same boat (my wife also has knee problem, and we also decided to use Dahon Briza + TSDZ2 350W motor). Now about the motor - Last year I put 750W TSDZ2 on my city bike and I don't feel it is anemic. With 8-speed casette I can climb the steepest hils with ease, and I am not exactly lightweight myself (about 105 kg). On flat terrain, when derestricted, it will go a bit over 40 km/h, but it will require some effort on the rider as well. Optimal cruise speed is about 30-35 km/h, with minimal effort from the rider.
People often feel it anemic (compared with BBS) because it is torque sensing, and it always requires some pedal pressure to make it work. On the plus side, the battery range is better, for the same reason.
So I don't think that 350W motor will be too weak either.
For the Dahon Briza - I have differerent recomendation - just say "NO" :) (at least when TSDZ2 is concerned).
Dahon itself is nice, lightweight, it rides better than 20" folders, but the bottom bracket design is really not suitable for this conversion. It is still the same standard 68 mm bottom bracket, but to fit the motor, I had to cut the bottom tube, remove the kickstand, also cut and remove pieces from both sides of the plate where kickstand was attached. Ewen with all this, it is not possible to fit the motor in one piece (I had to remove the lid on the left side first - and throw away the warranty for the motor :-( ). So i lost both warranties - for the motor and for the bike. Also the chain line is problematic, due to awkward geometry of the rear fork, the first gear cannot be used. And I had to design special torque arm, because standard arm does not fit.
And after all this trouble, my battery (ordered from Aliexpress) is stuck somewhere in the middle of the Corona crysis, so I was not able to test it yet :-(

I was so disappointed that I gave the bike, KHS Smoothie 750W TSDZ2 with a 13Ah 29E cells to another old fella living in a Boathouse with a very low Social Security check. He loves it, it does have a throttle too. I’m always happy to read someone else is happy with their kit! And there are many happy TSDZ2 owners. Especially those that are using the newly cracked firmware. Unfortunately I’ve owned much more powerful motors. Spoiled but not so much that I’m unhappy with another’s success. Do enjoy! BTW I’m just finishing a folder with a really anemic BBS01B 48V 250W. I love it!

Hi!
I may say that I am in the same boat (my wife also has knee problem, and we also decided to use Dahon Briza + TSDZ2 350W motor). Now about the motor - Last year I put 750W TSDZ2 on my city bike and I don't feel it is anemic. With 8-speed casette I can climb the steepest hils with ease, and I am not exactly lightweight myself (about 105 kg). On flat terrain, when derestricted, it will go a bit over 40 km/h, but it will require some effort on the rider as well. Optimal cruise speed is about 30-35 km/h, with minimal effort from the rider.
People often feel it anemic (compared with BBS) because it is torque sensing, and it always requires some pedal pressure to make it work. On the plus side, the battery range is better, for the same reason.
So I don't think that 350W motor will be too weak either.
For the Dahon Briza - I have differerent recomendation - just say "NO" :) (at least when TSDZ2 is concerned).
Dahon itself is nice, lightweight, it rides better than 20" folders, but the bottom bracket design is really not suitable for this conversion. It is still the same standard 68 mm bottom bracket, but to fit the motor, I had to cut the bottom tube, remove the kickstand, also cut and remove pieces from both sides of the plate where kickstand was attached. Ewen with all this, it is not possible to fit the motor in one piece (I had to remove the lid on the left side first - and throw away the warranty for the motor :-( ). So i lost both warranties - for the motor and for the bike. Also the chain line is problematic, due to awkward geometry of the rear fork, the first gear cannot be used. And I had to design special torque arm, because standard arm does not fit.
And after all this trouble, my battery (ordered from Aliexpress) is stuck somewhere in the middle of the Corona crysis, so I was not able to test it yet :-(

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Tongsheng and Briza. Too bad because the Briza is such a nice bike for my wife. I hope that you can make it work for your wife after all you have done on it.

Hi again!
The update - yesterday i finally got my battery (ordered battery and rack from Aliexpress back in January).
I had to use the rack mounted baterry - there is no other place to put it on this bike.
Was it worth it? I would say - yes.
And yes - it was expensive (Dahon is not the cheapest bike around), it was lot of work, and no guarantee of success.
But here it is - lightweight foldable bike with central motor and torque sensing.
I tested it and the bike feels very solid (Allthough is rated for 100 kg max, It handled my 105 kg, plus about 8 kg for the motor and battery, without any issues).
Also I was pleasantly supprised with the motor - TSDZ2, 36V / 350 W. It doesn't feel much less powerful than my 750W version.
On the flat terrain, with restriction removed, it will go 30 - 35 km/h with ease, and, more important,
it can climb my hilly street with minimal effort.
Battery is 14 AH and seems to hold the charge pretty well.

Dahon.JPG

Hi again!
The update - yesterday i finally got my battery (ordered battery and rack from Aliexpress back in January).
I had to use the rack mounted baterry - there is no other place to put it on this bike.
Was it worth it? I would say - yes.
And yes - it was expensive (Dahon is not the cheapest bike around), it was lot of work, and no guarantee of success.
But here it is - lightweight foldable bike with central motor and torque sensing.
I tested it and the bike feels very solid (Allthough is rated for 100 kg max, It handled my 105 kg, plus about 8 kg for the motor and battery, without any issues).
Also I was pleasantly supprised with the motor - TSDZ2, 36V / 350 W. It doesn't feel much less powerful than my 750W version.
On the flat terrain, with restriction removed, it will go 30 - 35 km/h with ease, and, more important,
it can climb my hilly street with minimal effort.
Battery is 14 AH and seems to hold the charge pretty well.

View attachment 53034
it's been a while, can you do an update?
I'm back to thinking of attempting this for my wife's Briza. I found a U.S. source for the same price as one sent from China that is 36v 500W. I wonder if the 500w vs 350w will provide more low end assist or just more top speed. Wife only needs assist on hills, not more speed.

Ok, here is the update:
It is still working fine. I wouldn't worry about the power too much - there is not much difference between 350W motor that I put here, and my own 750 W version. But I would not recommend this build anyway. First of all, it was very difficult and with great risk of failure. Meanwhile, my own 750W motor failed and revealed some serious design flaws. I had to dismantle everything and replace the torque sensor, and it took 3 months for parts to arrive, and it was pretty expensive too. So I wouldn't recommend this motor for any projects any more, let alone Dahon Briza.

Yeah, folding bikes have several issues if you want to install a mid drive kit. Would it fit? Would it be too low? Would it get in the way of folding?

And for any folding bike conversion, where would you put the battery? Would you need a new rack? How do you deal with the extra cords when folding? It's doable, but seems like a pain.

I thought about converting a Dahon Mariner, but I'm sure it would be less than ideal, so I'll probably just ditch it. There are some purpose-built folding electric bikes out there that I'd probably consider instead.

Later this year, Stark Drive will try again to launch their "Stark Drive Torque", which looks like an awesome deal on a mid drive folding bike with a torque sensor. I'm curious to see how that turns out.
Dahon now sells a folder using the same TS mid drive.

Back