Examples of Riese & Muller Durability and Reliablity

Alaskan

This thread was posted recently on the Riese & Muller Owners Facebook page by a rider from The Netherlands:

40,000 km in 3 years, almost all commuter km’s. That is one time around earth…Supercharger HS Rolloff with 2x500Wh.

- 37000km with first gates belt
- 4 rear flat tires, 3 during the first 20k. Since then I use liquid latex. It took another 20k before I got my 4th flat.
- One new engine after 25k under warranty.

Everything else just wear and tear… pretty reliable bike!

179378266_10225762969958829_5090723358618823260_n.jpg

When asked about batteries, the answer was, "I guestimate about 10% less. Anyway in winter I lose 20%, but I regain that in summertime."

You can put tubeless sealant in tubes with removeable valvecores without much issue, but I've had mixed results on my person bike.

I ask because the bike shop I plan to buy my bike from adds “slime” to the inner tubes of the bikes it sells that gives some self-sealing ability. They tell me it lasts fir 2 years, after which you should change the tubes (
and to be honest that is not unreasonable for changing them anyway as the material does degrade).

I ask because the bike shop I plan to buy my bike from adds “slime” to the inner tubes of the bikes it sells that gives some self-sealing ability. They tell me it lasts fir 2 years, after which you should change the tubes (
and to be honest that is not unreasonable for changing them anyway as the material does degrade).
Ah! Slime is definitely worth it. It's much thicker than tubeless sealant and more reliable in my experience.

If that's not the original drive unit how is the Intuvia showing the total mileage?

When my DU was replaced under warranty the odometer reset with the new DU and that is consistent with what others have posted here.

PS:. Love that they had it in Turbo mode for the 40000km picture. :)

The 2x500Wh batteries is giving me real problems now (20.000km, 28 mph version)

The range isn't the issue, (yet?) it's the power delivery.
My bikeshop measured normal voltages, but it's probably at load only.

A little head wind or little incline combined with 400, 500, 600 watt pedal-power: even 25 mph is unreachable.

The 2x500Wh batteries is giving me real problems now (20.000km, 28 mph version)

The range isn't the issue, (yet?) it's the power delivery.
My bikeshop measured normal voltages, but it's probably at load only.

A little head wind or little incline combined with 400, 500, 600 watt pedal-power: even 25 mph is unreachable.
If you get the problem resolved I'm very curious to know what it was. Seems like you should easily reach 25 mph. In fact if you're saying you're producing 600 watts then I would think that's enough to hit 25 mph.

I guess no one should be surprised at the reliability for the prices that R&M charges. In fact, one could say it's expected. I have heard Bosch motors have great reliability and I will have a preference for a Bosch motor when I get another electric bike down the road.

In the past I could climb the same Dutch "hill" (3,2% slope) with 25mph with ease.

And 500-600watt is a lot of course.
I can maintain this only for a fraction of a second. ;)

It feels that the bike only produces about 100watt. (It's a shame I can't see this figure at the screen)

Luckily I'm at the end of the lease period.
Looking for the Stromer ST2 now with belt drive after a combined 60.000km with two Bosch powered bikes.

One of the main advantages of the Bosch system is their robust, electronic diagnostic system and their network of shops with properly trained personnel (not all are equally adept).

If I were in your position, I would bring the bike into a shop that services Bosch ebike equipment. Have them put the bike on the diagnostic system. They should be able to identify the problem and let you know what the fix is and what the cost of making it right will be if it is beyond warranty.

Back