Evelo Dash information

Either the 40-inch wheel base Evelo has published is incorrect, or they have radically changed the bike. Not to speak badly of them, they did have incorrect tooth counts on their cogs/sprockets published for quite a while, so the 40-inches might just be an error in the published wheelbase. Otherwise, look out world, it's a much different bike.

I measured our Expressway and the Dash this summer and the Dash's wheel base is more like 45-1/4". The published wheelbase for the Expressway is 39.9", while I measured it as being about 40". Incidentally, the two lengths I wrote down on the attached measurements are based on the folded/unfolded lengths respectively. And, as noted in post #3 of this thread, I included the rear fender in the Dash's overall length of 67-1/2".

I also took some time to create a picture merging profile photos of the two bikes. I think it's generally a pretty accurate comparison. The headset angle on the Expressway is 71-degrees. Evelo doesn't publish an angle for the Dash but it looks like it might be the same or perhaps even a degree or two steeper - ?

It also appears the Dash has more trail which, along with a significantly longer wheelbase, would provide less twitchy steering. However, I'm not really that informed about geometry and the photo is subject to interpretation, so others may have different conclusions. For whatever reason, it does offer a much more stable riding experience.

Attachments

• Evelo and Giant Bike Measurements Cropped.jpg
    Evelo and Giant Bike Measurements Cropped.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 232
  • Dash Expressway Profiles Compared 111%.jpg
    Dash Expressway Profiles Compared 111%.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
I see they have a couple of open-box three-speed bikes with 69 and 148 miles respectively. Maybe some folks groused about the change from the three-speed to the five-speed and got replacements - ?
I see in my emails with Evelo that they require keeping the mileage under 75 miles on the trials. Only one of these open-box bikes is over that figure. I had mistakenly recalled the trial mileage limit as being much lower.

To qualify for 100% refund, the bicycle must be returned in as-received condition with under 75 additional miles on it. After the 21-day trial expires, the bicycle is no longer eligible for a return.

So, these two appear to have been an open-box bike with <75 miles, and another that was returned with an additional 75 miles for a total of 148.

I hate to start rumors by having suggested that they might have swapped out a three-speed for a five when it looks like it's just several 75-mile trials on these two.

Last edited:
Either the 40-inch wheel base Evelo has published is incorrect, or they have radically changed the bike. Not to speak badly of them, they did have incorrect tooth counts on their sprockets published for quite a while, so the 40-inches might just be an error in the published wheelbase. Otherwise, look out world, it's a much different bike.

I measured our Expressway and the Dash this summer and the Dash's wheel base is more like 45-1/4". The published wheelbase for the Expressway is 39.9", while I measured it as being about 40". Incidentally, the two lengths I wrote down on the attached measurements are based on the folded/unfolded lengths respectively. And, as noted in post #3 of this thread, I included the rear fender in the Dash's overall length of 67-1/2".

I also took some time to create a picture merging profile photos of the two bikes. I think it's generally a pretty accurate comparison. The headset angle on the Expressway is 71-degrees. Evelo doesn't publish an angle for the Dash but it looks like it might be the same or perhaps even a degree or two steeper - ?

It also appears the Dash has more trail which, along with a significantly longer wheelbase, would provide less twitchy steering. However, I'm not really that informed about geometry and the photo is subject to interpretation, so others may have different conclusions. For whatever reason, it does offer a much more stable riding experience.
Interesting and great job on those profile pics. Dash definitely appears longer and bigger overall. Your conclusion might be right about Evelo making an error on the wheelbase measurement. I’m really surprised that Court has not reviewed the Dash yet. You can’t find any reviews anywhere.

Would be great if Court would review it, you guys are our only source of info

thanks for posting as much as possible

- - - For Folks with a DASH on-order with mid-January 2022 shipment - - -

The wait has been killing me so I asked Evelo on the shipment status and risk of delay.
While Evelo of course cannot guarantee delivery dates in today's freight delays world
the overall forecast is positive.

Evelo ocean freight does not pass through the Southern California terminals.
Instead it is China - Vancouver B.C. - Seattle routing.

For Oct/Sep both Vancouver & Seattle were reporting freight delays.
News articles suggest the delays are not as bad as in Californaia but still are an issue.
Figures Crossed that issues are easing and any Dec/Jan delay will be days not weeks.

= = = = = =

Most likely (my guess only) Evelo is using Evergreen PNW1 service.
The route is:
DashLikelyRouteEdit.JPG

With the Dec/Jan Schedule: [[ ignoring delays ]]
dashFreightGuessdetail.JPG

= = = = =

On-Order DASH now forecast for Mid-February delivery.
12/17/2021 eMail from Evolo notes the shipment delay.
email also notes two specification changes; Tire Type/Brand, Shifter Style.

Evelo web-site DASH page appears to reflect the above changes.

What is the shifter on it now?
Sturmey Archer Handlebar Mounted C50 Dual Lever Trigger Shifter
C50shifter.JPG

I have no experience with this shifter to comment vs a twist grip style.
Change could be due to availability or seen as a technical improvement (as eMail implies)
For me since this will be my first non-NuVinic Hub bike in many many years learning a new shifter will be a needed anyway.

We have a couple of derailleur bikes with Shimano trigger shifters and we really like them. Click up, click down; they provide easy, no fuss, indexed shifting.

I'm not fond of twist shifters, which is what our 3-speed Dashes have. The twist shifters require that one consciously grip the shifter strongly while stopping at a slight detent. I find them to be a lot fussier to operate.

So, I suspect I'd prefer the Sturmey Archer trigger shifters too.

Last edited:
Another Delivery Delay - - -

Evelo web-site now lists the DASH shipment date as mid-March, second delay . . . .
I asked Support about this and they confirmed the delay.
DASH units should now arrive at the warehouse early March with shipments to customers starting by mid-month.

= = = =

I was told - - first delay was so shifter could be changed from twist to the trigger style as twist on prototypes builds had issues.
Second delay is due to shifter change impacting Evelo position in sub-contractor production schedule plus another/earlier build customer had parts delays . . . finally Chinese New Year was blamed ? ? ? ? bikes should have been on ships before then ? ? ? ? . . .

I'm considering canceling the DASH order and changing to an Aurora Limited (that are in stock) or restarting my eBike search across all brands.
As you would guess, nothing is easy. Enviolo {why did they change their name from simple NuVinci ??} has changed the 'automatic' operation again
and I'm not so sure it's for the better. Old automatic had a manual mode that was real CVT on gear selection. New system has (BS) bells and whistles using smart phones and Bluetooth but the 'manual' option limits the NuVinci CVT to Nine Set Shift Points - - - what a waste.

Now Evelo support has said the new Automatic is more responsive than the ealry design (Harmony) so the manual mode maybe used less. However I'm not ready to be a tester - - - I really liked the small gear ratio changes possible with a true CVT hub.

So Here's the Issue . . . .
- Do I cancel my DASH order and start over?
- Do I let the DASH order stand and once again rearrange my winter/late-winter vacation plans
- Do I convert to an Aurora Limited and it's 9-speed stepped (manual) gear box.

I'll need to sleep on it or even give it the weekend for thought.
Keeping the DASH on order will at least allow me to see how well a folding bike is for traveling (once it gets here)
and will let me know how user-friendly the 5-speed stepped hub is
But gosh - - - why can't things be simple with NuVinic Manual (cable controlled) hubs in both the DASH and Aurora Limited.

More to follow

Monday Update: Will keep the DASH on order.
Have no interest in paying for a NuVinic CVT hub that is limited to 9-stepped gears in manual mode.

Yet another THIRD delay on DASH delivery.
Today's Evelo update: { well at least we got an update }

" . . . estimating an arrival date for you sometime between late March and early April . . . "

Yet another Fourth delay on DASH delivery. :(:mad::(
Well the DASH container shipment did not arrive in U.S. late last week as advertised by Evolo .

They now report . . . "a bit of a delay in shipping, but the boat is due in Seattle in a week. We expect that customers should have a tracking number for a bike headed to them in the first or second weeks of April." . . . (my bold highlights)

Is it at least a plus that the ship ports at Seattle instead of Vancouver ? ? ?
This is getting realllllllly old. Once again my biking travel adventure must be rethought.

Yet another Fourth delay on DASH delivery. :(:mad::(
Well the DASH container shipment did not arrive in U.S. late last week as advertised by Evolo .

They now report . . . "a bit of a delay in shipping, but the boat is due in Seattle in a week. We expect that customers should have a tracking number for a bike headed to them in the first or second weeks of April." . . . (my bold highlights)

Is it at least a plus that the ship ports at Seattle instead of Vancouver ? ? ?
This is getting realllllllly old. Once again my biking travel adventure must be rethought.
I was told by Evelo on April 1st 2022 that the container ship with the Dash folding bikes had arrived in port in Seattle, they were expecting a delivery at their warehouse very soon, and I would receive a tracking number within two weeks, depending on my place in line. It is hard to be patient!

Ah, good, maybe we'll start seeing people's impressions of the updated five-speed model soon.

In my day, we only had three speeds, "but we liked it" ;)

Last edited:
April 15, 2022
Quick Review Comments on yr-2022 5-Spd Hub that arrived Today.

Am Sure my Learning Curve of This New ebike Will Impact Future Remarks.
Well it is indeed a 5-Speed.

I've only ridden the '22 Dash for 10-miles on mostly flat terrain . . .overall believe it will be an Okay folder for my usage patterns . . .

Real Issue:
There is a problem down shifting from 3rd to 2nd.
On returning from the Test Ride and reading the C50 Transmission (limited info) guide I suspect my unit was not correctly Adjusted at the Factory.
I'm not 100% sure how to re-adjust (manual limitations) the transmission and will contact Evelo for some guidance.
gearAdy.png

Minor Items:
1. I do not like the Seat Post, Seat Attachment design. I had to remove parts from my Cloud-9 Seat to get clearance to mount the Cloud-9 seat.
2. Standard Seat is really, really, really bad.
3. Shipping box arrived with plastic straps in place however None of the Staples nor the glue were functional.
Just cut the straps and open the box. Appears there is no damage . . . but Gosh, factory can't even staple a box correctly . . .
4. Display screens are different than official "Dash Display" user manual information. Not a show stopper but Marketing Documents are not current.

Big Surprise:
The '22 Dash arrived with a Twist Shifter not the trigger-shifter we were told was a design change and part of the reason shipments were delayed.
I contacted Evelo, and might have been a bit grumpy about it, Support responded with:
" We had intended to change to the trigger shifter for the Dash model, however once the trigger shifter was sourced and installed it did not perform
like it was supposed to. In the end we went back to the grip shifter with a higher quality cable which achieved the shifting that we were after."

I've found the Up Shifting to be easy & smooth. Downshifting takes a big addition twisting effort.
Will have to see if the 'gear adjustment' issue noted above is a factor in the downshifting.

That's it for Now.

OpenBox.png

thanks for the update/info

let us know how the shifter stuff works out, i am considering the 5 spd sturmey archer for my tern folder
not sure which igh i will use but if you dont like this one will probably go a different direction

Back