Evelo Dash information

I bought an open box Aurora Limited a week ago. The bike had one mile on it and a faint scuff on the rack that polished out in 5 minutes. It is a fantasic bike, looks brand new, came with the full 4 year/20,000 warranty and I could not be more pleased with the quality of support I am getting from Evelo. I would not hesitate to buy an open box bike from Evelo, especially as they will get to you in a matter of two weeks or less in the USA>

Here she is all customized
20220430_153332.jpg

UPS has picked-up my Error 12 '22 Dash 5-Speed for return to Evelo.

As noted earlier with at least two '22 Dash bikes reporting the Error 12 and Evelo having no history with this failure mode on Dapu motors I decided not to get a replacement (new box) Dash. Future Error 12 fear on my part and my less than ideal 5-Sp downshifting experience mainly between 3rd-2nd, 2nd-1st being my reasons.

Overall the Dash rode nice, was a manageable weight, how okay power for 350W, and so-so battery range for my riding style.
But feel it could not be trusted for my intended usage.

I did decide on an exchange instead of the full refund. Evelo has an open-box return Aurora Limited being processed for me. I don't know the bike mileage/year/history just that it was returned for a "speed sensor" error code. Evelo will repair as needed (sensor, wiring, and/or motor controller board/computer) so guess I'm accepting some level of risk on doing this exchange . . . full warranty will be in place . . . my original {stolen} ALE also had a motor controller board/computer failure in its first few hundred miles while the replacement board (which I installed) worked fine for several years.

20/20 Hindsight I should have just ordered a new AL when the ALE was lost . . . I'd already be riding a new-box-bike . . .
If AutomatiQ auto mode does not work for me I've decided I can live** with the fixed 9-stepped gear positions when in Manual Shifting Mode.

** if I'm wrong . . . I've still got a Dost Drop CVT (no AutomatiQ) on order which won't be cancelled until I'm sure about the AL.
Most likely would make do with AL until Drop CVT arrived then private-sale the AL . . .

I bought an open box Aurora Limited a few weeks ago. The bike has been solid and fun with minor issues that were easily cleared up wtih the excellent tech help provided by Thomas and Eric at Evelo. Having had bike with the old Nuvinci 360, Rohloff with chain and belt and settling on a solid preference for derailleurs and chains, I have to say that the Automatiq Enviolo 380 is remarkable. I live in a hilly area and have found the automatic shifting totally adequate. I do not miss having to shift gears. The Automatiq system once properly calibrated (there is a video for that) makes going up steep hills a piece of cake and still keeps me at a reasonable cadence at 25 mph on the flats.

For this old backside, the Kinekt seat post was a much needed add-on, rendering the bike far more compliant and comfortable.

I bought an open box Aurora Limited a few weeks ago. . . .
The Automatiq system once properly calibrated (there is a video for that). . .

Can you clarify - - properly calibrated - -
I did the 'CO Controller' center button calibration with the hub LED having blue steady; red, green flashing as it changed gear ratios.

Did you do something different?

Can you clarify - - properly calibrated - -
I did the 'CO Controller' center button calibration with the hub LED having blue steady; red, green flashing as it changed gear ratios.

Did you do something different?
There is an easy calibration process using the app on your phone.

With the bike on a work stand, system turned on with no assistance, you push the calibrate button on the phone app and start rotating the cranks. The enviolo hub automatically progresses up through the rationsto the highest "gear" and then back down to the lowest, at which point the process is complete.

You don't even need the manual wireless gear controller on the bike unless you want to go back to 9 speed manual shifting.

My [open-box] Aurora Limited arrived today . . . . an exchange for the Dash that was rejected due to Error 12 . . .
Display says 3+ miles . . . seems low . . . tires do have some road usage marks.
Evelo says they test/verify all open-box bikes before shipment yet this one would not power-up due to cable damage between the Power-On Pad and Display Panel.

Of course I (we) have no idea how Evolo processes returns (open-box) units - - - so the damaged cable could have been outside of their standard verification process - - -

Also, Evelo is shipping a replacement Display / Power-switch and - - - I repaired the cable well enough to allow the bike to power-up and operate.

Initial (non-riding) reaction to the Aurora Limited compared to the original/initial Aurora Limited Edition I had are:
=-=-= More upright / comfortable rider position
=-=-= Better handlebar shape for 'casual riders'
=-=-= Slimmer, cleaner mid-drive motor enclosure

Now I'm dealing with 'new user' issues with the AutomaticQ Hub - - - think but am not sure CO Controller is fully functional.
Can't get the hub to go into 'Bluetooth pairing' mode for the user App!!

Have not ridden bike yet. And remain concerned about the CO Controller and AutomatiQ.
That is, I miss the easy to understand Manual (cable) and Harmony Manual Mode controllers . . .
As it appears AutomatiQ 'manual mode' is not supported by the CO Controller . . . it may only be accessible via the APP - - - not a great option IMHO

Remaining hopeful - - - this will work out

BUT
, Gosh am kicking myself for allowing my original Aurora Limited Edition to be stolen . . . .

You don't even need the manual wireless gear controller on the bike unless you want to go back to 9 speed manual shifting.
I would like the option of trying the 'Manual 9 speed shifting'
Please clarify how that is done with the 'manual wireless gear controller' assuming that is the provided CO Controller

I would like the option of trying the 'Manual 9 speed shifting'
Please clarify how that is done with the 'manual wireless gear controller' assuming that is the provided CO Controller
The app is needed if you wish to switch back and forth between manual shift and automatic shift on the fly. Shifting is done on the phone rather than on the controller. If you want to be stricktly manual shift then the controller can be used to shift by automatiq will need to be set up again if you wish to switch back to automatic.

@Alaskan ; Thanks. Once I got the HUB to enter Bluetooth pairing mode everything started to make sense.
Glad to be of help.
I looked a bit deeper into it and it appears the Enviolo Cliq CO controller is used just for set up without the phone and its app. I find no information about using it to shift while in manual, 9 speed mode. It appears that manual is available only using the phone app. To enter manual mode, go to the app dashboard and touch the little round button with the A in the middle at the upper left of the screen. It should switch from A to M indicating you are in manual mode. Then the big arrows in the middle of the screen can be used to shift up or down. All this presumes that your phone app and the hub are connected. If you want to actually shift manually, you will need to mount a secure phone holder like a Quadlock, close to your right grip so you can shift conveniently.

Clearly Enviolo does not want people who have the Automatiq to be using a thumb operated shifter in manual mode. Fortunately after riding the bike in Auto shift mode, I see no need to even use it manually. It is uncannily good at shifting to the proper ratio for the terrain. I am even thinking about taking the Cliq Co controller off the handlebars and just leaving it at home as I never use it either in setup or while riding.

Glad to be of help.
I looked a bit deeper into it and it appears the Enviolo Cliq CO controller is used just for set up without the phone and its app. I find no information about using it to shift while in manual, 9 speed mode. It appears that manual is available only using the phone app. To enter manual mode, go to the app dashboard and touch the little round button with the A in the middle at the upper left of the screen. It should switch from A to M indicating you are in manual mode. Then the big arrows in the middle of the screen can be used to shift up or down. All this presumes that your phone app and the hub are connected. If you want to actually shift manually, you will need to mount a secure phone holder like a Quadlock, close to your right grip so you can shift conveniently.

Clearly Enviolo does not want people who have the Automatiq to be using a thumb operated shifter in manual mode. Fortunately after riding the bike in Auto shift mode, I see no need to even use it manually. It is uncannily good at shifting to the proper ratio for the terrain. I am even thinking about taking the Cliq Co controller off the handlebars and just leaving it at home as I never use it either in setup or while riding.

* * * Maybe this line of conversation should be moved to another thread {Aurora Limited vs. Dost Drop ? } * * *
* * * as we are way off-track regarding Dash Information * * *
* * * How about " What We Really Dislike About Enviolo's AutomatiQ " * * *

That said, a few comments:

No Question Enviolo is pushing fully-dead-brain-human-automatic . . . I wonder if Bosch is the driving force as they also push 'no thinking' solutions.

Your earlier post was Correct that the CO Controller can control gear shifting when the Hub is in Manual Shifting Mode.
But the CO Controller cannot do the configuration . . . . the 'App' must be used.
I did 23-miles today in manual shifting mode and the CO Controller up / down buttons shifted gears as expected
{ provided of course that I remembered to turn-on the Bluetooth connection & waited for the flashing green light }

However the CO Controller can only shift . . . it has no display. So if you wish to know which of the 9 gear step positions you are in the cellphone app must be used. Which IMHO is a really poor product user interface . . .

BTW, my original Bluetooth Pairing Problem was resolved when Evelo Support said "we have found, but not published, that you should do this and that to get the Hub into pairing mode". With this & that not in any of the dozens of videos or help page directions I used trying to get the hub to pair - - - referenced sources across several bike companies.

Ouch Error Code 12

Well I was just starting to get adjusted to the 5-Speed Twist Shifter down-shift 'issues' when the eBike gave me an Error 12 at 125-total-miles and all power-assist (or throttle) operation ended.
Evelo has offered to swap my bike for another new-box unit.
Which I will be doing once I return from my shortened 'bicycle day adventures' road trip.

While riding up a short but very steep hill I increased the power-assist to "5" and attempted several downshifts to 1st.
I suspect the issues I've experienced downshifting from 3rd-2nd, 2nd-1st was a factor . . . slow response and unreliable engagement.
{ of course this could be an operator issue . . . I'm waiting for other 5-Speed owners to comment on their experience. }

I had to stop. Then attempted to restart on the hill in Gear 1 Power-assist 5.
The eBike would not go . . . so I walked up the hill. At the top the Error 12 was noticed.

Evelo Support has never seen an Error 12 and it is not on their error code list.
They are contacting Dapu for additional information.
A few non-Evelo web-sites list error 12 as a 'general usage' current sensor or current overload error. , ,
Wow, I am sorry not to have followed this thread the last couple of weeks, as I also had issues with my new Dash. Just about the time I got the gears nicely adjusted, had gone 37 miles and was feeling pretty happy with it, the motor felt like it seized up on an uphill climb (to me, it did not feel like the "voltage sag" they warn about) so abruptly that I lost all momentum and my balance was affected. I jumped off the saddle and managed to slow the process, but the bike and I fell over. Neither seemed hurt, but after I walked to the top of the hill and went to ride away, there was zero power. The display showed no errors, but I had zero throttle and zero assist in any PAS. Very depressing!

Long story short, after trying various diagnostics Evelo suggested (like unplugging the motor cutoff switches), nothing helped and Evelo got a new Dash to me in three days. They really have gone out of their way to make things right, so kudos to the Evelo service people. The replacement Dash seems just fine so far, and interestingly, the throttle is noticably more powerful than on the original bike. I did learn Error Code 12 is related to the motor, as it showed up when I unplugged the motor cutoffs.

I am sure all this will give some people pause who may be considering a Dash. I will say that so far the replacement bike is great, even in my hilly neighborhood, and I didn't have to wait a month until a local bike shop had an opening to look at it. I am crossing my fingers that this one will continue to behave well, but I had a great ride today. Cindy QM

Wow, I am sorry not to have followed this thread the last couple of weeks, as I also had issues with my new Dash. . . .

I will say that so far the replacement bike is great, even in my hilly neighborhood, . . . am crossing my fingers that this one will continue to behave well, but I had a great ride today. Cindy QM
I agree that the Dash Rides very well. I was pleased with it's riding and felt the 5-speed provided a nice gearing range (if a NuVinci won't be provided) but for myself the Error-12 issue when combined with the twist shifter 'downshifting' misses I was having over rode the positives of a comfortable folding bike. I've gone back to the full size Aurora Limited and after 50'ish miles it is a much nicer & more reliable bike for my uses.

I do hope your second 'new box' Dash is a winner. However, I don't trust the Dapu Motor of this production run
- - - with your comments we have at least Three Publicly Reported Dapu Motor Issues for the 2022 Dash model - - -

Once Dapu & Evelo understand the root cause of Error-12 my guess is they will be doing a lot of warranty repairs on the 2022 Dash builds.
As nice as the Dash rides I can not recommend it as a reliable, easy to shift bike based on my experience and posts on this thread.

Evelo has excellent customer support . . . but poor upper management communication to their customers regarding product issues . . .

I agree that the Dash Rides very well. I was pleased with it's riding and felt the 5-speed provided a nice gearing range (if a NuVinci won't be provided) but for myself the Error-12 issue when combined with the twist shifter 'downshifting' misses I was having over rode the positives of a comfortable folding bike. I've gone back to the full size Aurora Limited and after 50'ish miles it is a much nicer & more reliable bike for my uses.

I do hope your second 'new box' Dash is a winner. However, I don't trust the Dapu Motor of this production run
- - - with your comments we have at least Three Publicly Reported Dapu Motor Issues for the 2022 Dash model - - -

Once Dapu & Evelo understand the root cause of Error-12 my guess is they will be doing a lot of warranty repairs on the 2022 Dash builds.
As nice as the Dash rides I can not recommend it as a reliable, easy to shift bike based on my experience and posts on this thread.

Evelo has excellent customer support . . . but poor upper management communication to their customers regarding product issues . . .
I agree that the twist-shifter on the Dash behaved poorly right out of the box, but when I followed the instructions Evelo sent me to tune it (aligning the yellow lines) both of the bikes shifted much more smoothly. Why don't they do that at the factory? Even if it is going to stretch out of whack in the first fifty miles, it would make a better first impression. I am also attracted to the full size bikes, except for traveling with one.

I agree that the twist-shifter on the Dash behaved poorly right out of the box, but when I followed the instructions Evelo sent me to tune it (aligning the yellow lines) both of the bikes shifted much more smoothly.

Correctly adjusting the shifter (aligning yellow lines) solved most of my early issues with the 5-Spd Twist-Shifter.
As noted in an earlier post upshifting was fine, downshifting 5-4, 4-3 was fine downshifting 3-2 missed correct engagement a enough to be a concern while 2-1 was really bad and if working up a hill at the time the slowness of the shift combined with the shift not being reliable PLUS the huge rotational force needed between 2-1 makes that brand of hub/shifter a deal killer for me.

Currently I'm using the Enviolo AutomatiQ in 9-step manual mode on my Aurora Limited . . . have had zero missed or slow shifts, one possible belt drive 'cog jump', and now have around 127 miles on it . . . . . . and I shift a lot . . . . . .

I bought an open box Aurora Limited a week ago
The bike had one mile on it and a faint scuff on the rack that polished out in 5 minutes.
Did you happen to look at the Enviolo App Dashboard ODO reading on your AL when it arrived?

I did not on arrival but did so after some 150 miles of riding my AL open-box bike.
The Enviolo App Dashboard ODO reading was ~300 miles:
- - Would appear Evelo's return processing procedure includes resetting the Dapu software {ODO}
- - My AL Dapu ODO was 3.2 miles out-of-the-box. A reasonable value as Evelo does test ride open-box bikes.
- - It is also reasonable that the original bike owner needed to ride the bike several dozen miles before returning it
due to the Dapu MPH/ODO speed sensing issue.
- - I've done a couple road tests to verify the Enviolo App Dashboard ODO is accurate.

Now Evelo resetting the Dapu ODO in Not an Issue. In fact it helps the open-box buyer get the full 20K mile warranty.
Just saying your open-box AL most likely had several miles more than the Dapu ODO 1 mile on it.

Back