Evelo Dash information

What Tire Pressure Do You Use ?

My '22 Dash CST tires are sidewall marked as 85-115 PSI.
For my initial test ride I've set them to 55 PSI. From the factory they had about 20 PSI.

These are 20x2.4 BMX tires. The "web" has a huge range of suggested tire PSI.
For those of you that have been riding older model-year Dash bikes - - - What Tire Pressure Do you Use ?

We get by with 30+ psi, usually about 5 psi higher in the rear, but it depends on the load and the riding conditions. We tend to frequent paved surfaces and ride at moderate speeds.

We get by with 30+ psi, usually about 5 psi higher in the rear, . . .
Thanks,
I started at 55 PSI and while the (new) pavement sections were fast and smooth, the older sections were indeed bone jarring.
For recent 20-miles used 36/39 PSI. Much more comfortable - - - am just wondering about the rolling resistance / battery range impact.

April 18, 2022
Hub Shifting Update: - - - See, Quick Review Comments on yr-2022 5-Spd Hub that arrived Today. {April 15, 2022}

With some eMail assist from Evelo Support have completed the C50 Gear Adjustment.
Shifting is greatly improved but this is not a NuVinic CVT ;)

On my bike something was off/wrong with the shifter Cable Adjuster.
It appeared to not have been locking so as the bike was ridden the C50 Gear Alignment slipped out of alignment.
I've now ridden for ~ 27-miles and the C50 has remained in the correct alignment. So hopefully I have it adjusted & locked.
Up shifts are 100% perfect, Downshifts are (presently) 90% perfect.

Some Observations:

[ 1 ] How to correctly {?} use the Cable Adjuster.
The KNOB must be pulled-back against the spring pressure.
Doing so allows the Knob outer end to engage the Adjuster Barrel flanges so the barrel actually rotates/threads in-out.
After releasing the Knob spring tension, the Knob must be slightly rotated so its inside end engages {possible} locking teeth on the housing.
unnamed.png

[ 2 ] Up Shifting is easier than Down Shifting due to the {clutch ?} spring tension.
Up Shifts release tension, Down Shifts wind up the spring with each downshift taking more twist strength.

[ 3 ] When downshifting, overshooting the target gear position by .5 gear position on the twist grip allows the
target gear to be selected with a slight up shift rotation letting the spring assist in engaging the gear position.

If in 3rd and need to be in 2nd: Rotate Shifter to about 1.5 on the display, then release/return to 2 which clicks.

While I don't expect this is the official process, it seems to help getting a solid downshift.
On my bike the Yellow Lines on the hub align better on the up shift rotation (indicating good gear alignment)
I suspect my 90% downshifting success is that I have not mastered this approach or shift timing.
Very fast downshifts don't seem to allow the hub to 'set itself' - - - again not a CVP, and I'm spoiled by the CVP lack of effort and responsiveness.

[ 4 ] I found this youtube video on the RX4 Hub and Twist Shifter. RX4 is like the RX5 less one gear position.
Video very clearly explains how to complete the Gear Alignment.
X-RF4 4 Speed Internal Hub

[ 5 ] Here is a more detailed written instruction (than shipped with bike) provided by Evelo Support for the Gear Alignment
RX_RF5 Adjustment.png

A few non-Gear Alignment Observations / impressions on 2022 model

[ a ] I've been surprised how well the 350W motor handles hills. True I've not ridden up any monster hills but I've been able to find a comfortable combination of gear and power assist level. While general riding (not doing a test) my recent 22-mile ride was mostly in power assist 1 outbound . . more down hills . . and 2 on return. On worst up hill 2nd gear an power level 4 were the lowest gear / most assist used. But at a huge battery reserve cost of course.

[ b ] On a few down hills I allowed the bike to reach 22 MPH on a smooth surface. It felt stable and comfortable.

[ c ] I am unsure of the bike's overall battery range. That 22-mile ride used 4 of the 5 bars with the last 5'ish miles being on 1 bar.
bat.png

[ d ] Motor Controller Display Data . . . gets confused at times.
On two different down shift sequences on a longer hill the MPH reported 27.5 when bike was doing ~7.5 MPH
Display did not correct until a shift was completed.

[ e ] Think I will be keeping this bike but will also keep my Aurora Limited (copy cat) a Dost Drop CVT on order.

For recent 20-miles used 36/39 PSI. Much more comfortable - - - am just wondering about the rolling resistance / battery range impact.
I personally favor as low a tire pressure as feels safe for the riding conditions in order to increase the comfort factor. Battery range has not been a limiting factor for us so far, but we are casual fitness riders and generally ride at conservative speeds, typically 12 mph or less.

With a bit over 2.4 inches of width, you don't need much pressure to reduce the risk of pinch flats or the tires unseating from the rims. We rode yesterday on steep hills with up to 12% grades, on fairly-good to fairly-poor condition chip-sealed asphalt pavement with 35 psi rear and 30 front. The tires felt safe with no uncomfortable "squirmy" sensations. I felt that the tires (and the ride) probably could have been even softer, but I haven't tried it yet as I am too old for road rash and really want to err on the side of caution.

Last edited:
Argh, now I'm trawling the internet looking at bicycle-related stuff!

Or, alternately, Yay, now I'm trawling the internet looking at bicycle-related stuff!

Schwalbe has some interesting information on rolling resistance here: https://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/rolling_resistance

Tire pressure, tire diameter, tire width, tire construction, tire tread and other factors all have an effect on rolling resistance.

On a completely smooth surface the following applies: The higher the inflation pressure, the inferior the tire deformation and thus rolling resistance.

Off road it is exactly the reverse: The lower the inflation pressure, the lower the rolling resistance. This applies equally on hard gravel roads and soft forest tracks. Explanation: A tire with low inflation pressure can adapt better to a rugged surface. It sinks into the ground less and the whole rotational mass is held back much less by the uneven surface.

Tires with a smaller diameter have a higher rolling resistance with the same inflation pressure, because tire deformation is proportionally greater. The tire is flattened more and is “less round”.

Wider tires roll better than narrower tires. This statement generally invokes skepticism, nevertheless, with tires at the same pressure a narrower tire deflects more and so deforms more.

Schwalbe's diagram, below, shows how a 2.4" wide tire (60 mm) at 29 psi has the same rolling resistance as a 1.5" tire (37 mm) at 58 psi, (1 bar = 14.5 psi).

The tires they illustrate are a different brand from those on the Dash, but the principal applies.

Attachments

• rollwiderstand_diagramm_2_en.jpg
    rollwiderstand_diagramm_2_en.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Thank you all for thoughts on the Dash, especially "Mainly Civil" as I am also a casual fitness rider preferring conservative speeds. I am 15 miles into testing out my new Dash in my very hilly neighborhood. I am pretty small, about 125 pounds, maybe 130 with gear, and the Dash gets me up long steep hills (that I thought I would have to avoid even with an e-bike) with very moderate effort from me. I could not do the local hills unassisted, period, and had given up on cycling from home, so I am thrilled. However, if you are also small, not to mention arthritic and not in the best shape, I disagree with those on this forum who called the Dash "small". I manage lifting it into my car easier than folding it by myself. Easy with two people, quite awkward with only one, and as has been mentioned it falls over if you don't hold it. Can someone comment on the best position to carry a folded Dash bike in a vehicle? It doesn't feel stable. (Note: If I needed a first-and-last-mile commuter bike to take on the light rail or whatever, instead of a recreational bike I can travel with, I think I'd have to go with something actually small like a Brompton, which lacks many features of the Dash but is a lovely little bit of engineering.)

I am 15 miles into testing out my new Dash in my very hilly neighborhood.
Do you have a yr-2022 with the 5-Speed?
Or an earlier model {available at a discount as open-box-bikes) which has the 3-Speed.

While I like the gearing of the 5-Speed I am disappointed with the Twist Shifter Downshifting.
Am now at 100-miles and downshifts for me between 3rd & 2nd, 2nd & 1st are slow-difficult, a real "pain".
Had been hoping usage might improve things but so far, nope.

So other rider experience, thoughts would be helpful.

the Dash gets me up long steep hills (that I thought I would have to avoid even with an e-bike) with very moderate effort from me. I could not do the local hills unassisted, period, and had given up on cycling from home, so I am thrilled. However, if you are also small, not to mention arthritic and not in the best shape, I disagree with those on this forum who called the Dash "small". I manage lifting it into my car easier than folding it by myself. Easy with two people, quite awkward with only one, and as has been mentioned it falls over if you don't hold it. Can someone comment on the best position to carry a folded Dash bike in a vehicle? It doesn't feel stable. (Note: If I needed a first-and-last-mile commuter bike to take on the light rail or whatever, instead of a recreational bike I can travel with, I think I'd have to go with something actually small like a Brompton, which lacks many features of the Dash but is a lovely little bit of engineering.)
Personally, I think there's some kind of narcotic in Brompton's colors, especially Turkish Green, so that's just not even fair to mention that!

I can't seem to find any mention in this thread(?) but when I first unboxed the Dash, I affectionately dubbed it "the hog" on account of its robust dimensions (and weight) as compared to our Expressway bikes. We are fortunate in that we are able to employ a "team lift" here getting them into the back of our Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I had made up some lightweight wooden "sleds" for the Expressway bikes which helped to hold them upright and folded in a stable package, making them much easier to lift. I haven't conjured up anything like that for the Dash yet. Our current procedure is a bit inelegant, involving lots of bungee cords and scrap cardboard.

After folding one of the Dash bikes on the pavement behind the vehicle, I drop the front onto a piece of cardboard on the ground to protect the paint. I then bungee the two wheels together to stabilize the whole package, with more cardboard placed between the front and rear frame sections where they are folded together in order to protect the paint. The bungees help to keep the bike bundled together as a stable package so that it doesn't unfold when we lift it.

Once we lift a bike into the back of the vehicle, I use several bungees looped through the frame near the hinge and connect them to the vehicle's back seat headrests. This helps stabilize the bikes for transport. The bike on the Driver's side is naturally more stable as they "lean left". The one on the right gets some support from boxes with our helmets placed between the bikes.

Maineiac mentioned that he or a friend uses polyethylene storage bins as tubs to transport their bikes. Maybe you could get a large storage bin, perhaps even cut out the back to make it easier to slide the bike into, and slide the box up a board into the vehicle - ? Also, while removing the battery is a bit of a nuisance, it might help you to lighten the bike a bit.

As regards the hills and grades, I'm glad to hear that it's exceeding your expectations. We recently returned to the very steep 12% hill I first rode the bike on last July and my wife was able to muscle her way up in 1st gear, PAS 5; I was impressed. However, as she noted, it was pretty much a maximum effort (on a cool day). As an inexperienced rider, if she'd had to stop she would have walked the bike up the rest of the way as she would not have been confident in her ability to get started again from a full stop on that steep slope.

For all that, it's been easy and comfortable pedaling every place else, even up the 8% grade on the street in front of our house. Railroad trails are a piece of cake as they are generally 4% and less.

The way things are going, I suspect that we'll never pursue re-gearing the bikes to more speeds as I had discussed early on in this thread. As we don't like to ride at very high speeds, if I ever found the current gearing inadequate I'd probably look into just reducing the gearing, which would be much less expensive. But, it really looks like we'll just keep riding them "as is", because a 12% grade is such an outlier for us.

All of my perspective on gearing relates to our style of slowly sightseeing, with "thrilling downhill descents" hovering just over 12 mph.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, and as I had learned talking with folks at Evelo, other people tended to want the Dash to be geared higher for higher speeds. I don't know how the five-speed gearing on the newer bikes compares to the three-speed gearing on ours. And, judging by my lack of motivation to figure it out, I guess we're doing just fine as-is. ;)

Last edited:
Personally, I think there's some kind of narcotic in Brompton's colors, especially Turkish Green, so that's just not even fair to mention that!

I can't seem to find any mention in this thread(?) but when I first unboxed the Dash, I affectionately dubbed it "the hog" on account of its robust dimensions (and weight) as compared to our Expressway bikes. We are fortunate in that we are able to employ a "team lift" here getting them into the back of our Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I had made up some lightweight wooden "sleds" for the Expressway bikes which helped to hold them upright and folded in a stable package, making them much easier to lift. I haven't conjured up anything like that for the Dash yet. Our current procedure is a bit inelegant, involving lots of bungee cords and scrap cardboard.

After folding one of the Dash bikes on the pavement behind the vehicle, I drop the front onto a piece of cardboard on the ground to protect the paint. I then bungee the two wheels together to stabilize the whole package, with more cardboard placed between the front and rear frame sections where they are folded together in order to protect the paint. The bungees help to keep the bike bundled together as a stable package so that it doesn't unfold when we lift it.

Once we lift a bike into the back of the vehicle, I use several bungees looped through the frame near the hinge and connect them to the vehicle's back seat headrests. This helps stabilize the bikes for transport. The bike on the Driver's side is naturally more stable as they "lean left". The one on the right gets some support from boxes with our helmets placed between the bikes.

Maineiac mentioned that he or a friend uses polyethylene storage bins as tubs to transport their bikes. Maybe you could get a large storage bin, perhaps even cut out the back to make it easier to slide the bike into, and slide the box up a board into the vehicle - ? Also, while removing the battery is a bit of a nuisance, it might help you to lighten the bike a bit.

As regards the hills and grades, I'm glad to hear that it's exceeding your expectations. We recently returned to the very steep 12% hill I first rode the bike on last July and my wife was able to muscle her way up in 1st gear, PAS 5; I was impressed. However, as she noted, it was pretty much a maximum effort (on a cool day). As an inexperienced rider, if she'd had to stop she would have walked the bike up the rest of the way as she would not have been confident in her ability to get started again from a full stop on that steep slope.

For all that, it's been easy and comfortable pedaling every place else, even up the 8% grade on the street in front of our house. Railroad trails are a piece of cake as they are generally 4% and less.

The way things are going, I suspect that we'll never pursue re-gearing the bikes to more speeds as I had discussed early on in this thread. As we don't like to ride at very high speeds, if I ever found the current gearing inadequate I'd probably look into just reducing the gearing, which would be much less expensive. But, it really looks like we'll just keep riding them "as is", because a 12% grade is such an outlier for us.

All of my perspective on gearing relates to our style of slowly sightseeing, with "thrilling downhill descents" hovering just over 12 mph.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, and as I had learned talking with folks at Evelo, other people tended to want the Dash to be geared higher for higher speeds. I don't know how the five-speed gearing on the newer bikes compares to the three-speed gearing on ours. And, judging by my lack of motivation to figure it out, I guess we're doing just fine as-is. ;)
Thanks so much for the tips! The service department at Evelo said yesterday that it doesn't matter what position you carry the bike as long as you bungee it so it cannot slide around in the back of the car. But, like you, I would prefer to protect the paint. The problem is, I just know I won't take the trouble with the cardboard and multiple bungees and so on every single time I want to cycle with a friend who lives across the city, so I am going to try the storage bin method with maybe an old towel between the halves of the bike. We shall see.

Actually, my using old cardboard is shameful!!! I like the towel idea; maybe you will inspire me to revise my ways! I think I have some carpet pad around here somewhere...

We ran across a woman at a railroad trail who just sort of wrestled her (Rad Mini?) into a Ford Escape or similar with the rear seats folded down. She didn't fold her 70-lb. bike, just sort of wrestled it in there and laid it full length diagonally on an old rug. If you have the space, maybe something like that will work for you.

Ouch Error Code 12

Well I was just starting to get adjusted to the 5-Speed Twist Shifter down-shift 'issues' when the eBike gave me an Error 12 at 125-total-miles and all power-assist (or throttle) operation ended.
Evelo has offered to swap my bike for another new-box unit.
Which I will be doing once I return from my shortened 'bicycle day adventures' road trip.

While riding up a short but very steep hill I increased the power-assist to "5" and attempted several downshifts to 1st.
I suspect the issues I've experienced downshifting from 3rd-2nd, 2nd-1st was a factor . . . slow response and unreliable engagement.
{ of course this could be an operator issue . . . I'm waiting for other 5-Speed owners to comment on their experience. }

I had to stop. Then attempted to restart on the hill in Gear 1 Power-assist 5.
The eBike would not go . . . so I walked up the hill. At the top the Error 12 was noticed.

Evelo Support has never seen an Error 12 and it is not on their error code list.
They are contacting Dapu for additional information.
A few non-Evelo web-sites list error 12 as a 'general usage' current sensor or current overload error. , ,

It's nice to hear that they are shipping a new bike and not messing about.

Given that they don't have their bikes available for test rides and purchase in local shops, I understand from different sources that they go out of their way to facilitate service through local shops, including quick shipment of replacement parts to the shops, and even replacement bikes as in your case.

Even so, sometimes when it's not going well it can feel like there's no "right" choices on these purchases. I hope you get rolling again soon.

Last edited:
I also got my Dash last week, and this morning also encountered an Error Code 12 while trying to ride uphill on the 520 trail bridge. Contacted Evelo and they're preparing to ship me a replacement Dash, but I'm telling them to possibly exchange it for a Galaxy 500 (or Aurora... anything that's a little more powerful, has automatic shifting and is in stock) instead since I'm having the same troubles shifting the Dash. I'll have to pay the difference but hopefully the Enviolo automatic shifters work better.
image_123927839.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks @accoleon for your posting on Error 12 news and your shifting discomfort.
You got me thinking about doing an exchange instead of a Dash replacement.

However, Evelo is out-of-stock on the Aurora Limited model so I've decided to request a full refund and go eBike'less for awhile.
Maybe I'll do a wider brand search for something I like that is actually in-stock.

Thanks @accoleon for your posting on Error 12 news and your shifting discomfort.
You got me thinking about doing an exchange instead of a Dash replacement.

However, Evelo is out-of-stock on the Aurora Limited model so I've decided to request a full refund and go eBike'less for awhile.
Maybe I'll do a wider brand search for something I like that is actually in-stock.
Yeah - the Aurora Limited is out of stock but Thomas told me that the specs on the new Aurora Limited are identical to the ones they currently have (refurbished for open-box sales). I'm ok with an open-boxed Aurora Limited as long as it has a full warranty. Might take them a week to get it sorted out - you could clarify if they are going to have returned Auroras in stock soon!

Thanks @accoleon; Thomas also informed me of possible Aurora Limited open-box units.
I told him that would be acceptable as a replacement instead of refunding the Dash.
A) Hope Evelo knows status for sure soon
B) Gosh, hope we two aren't competing for the same open-box unit

Thanks @accoleon; Thomas also informed me of possible Aurora Limited open-box units.
I told him that would be acceptable as a replacement instead of refunding the Dash.
A) Hope Evelo knows status for sure soon
B) Gosh, hope we two aren't competing for the same open-box unit
Hahaha hope not!

Back