Hello to EBR forum member

JohnnoG

New Member
Region
United Kingdom
Hi EBR members
I am a long time member and regular participant on non-cycling related forums where learning is on offer and help is offered to other members.
I am now in need of knowledge about Ebikes and have joined the forum today, as I am looking to learn about electric bikes. My short period of research shows there is a lot of bikes for sale but also a lot of other information is needed to be discovered, which will eventually end with a purchase of a Ebike model that will be used for improving my health.

I hope my inquiries will not be too difficult to offer support with an answer.

Maybe in the future I have a knowledge where I can return support to another new member.

John
 
Hi John, welcome to the forum!
There’s definitely a lot to learn when it comes to e-bikes, and you’ve come to the right place. There are plenty of different models, motor types, batteries, and features to consider, so it can feel a little overwhelming at first.
Don’t hesitate to ask questions, no matter how basic they may seem. I’m sure the members here will be happy to share their experiences and help you find something that suits your needs, especially since your main goal is improving your health.
Hopefully, once you’ve gained some experience, you’ll be able to pass that knowledge on to another new member as well. Good luck with your research and, most importantly, enjoy the journey!
 
Hi Chrstn and JGcycle, Thank you for welcome.
My first observation is the Countries of USA and Canada, both vast areas, and enabling very long periods of using a bike away from a power supply.
Needing a great range from a battery, is not something that I see currently will be needed, I would probably build up to 20 miles with periods of full battery drive to recover from pedal assist.

John
 
@JohnnoG, Welcome!
What is the terrain in your area? Most people find that they like the bike so much that they use it more than anticipated and they can start to leave a car behind for most one way trips under five Km. They get a rack and panniers to take to the market or to drop off a package. Another thing is the frame geometry. Some can be more stable and comfortable, others more jumpy, twitchy, yet more sporty. One big consideration is hub-drive Vs mid-drive. Hub-drives work fine in flat areas for most people and they are less expensive. Mid-drives and for cyclists who want feel and to climb.
 
My observation is the the UK is not friendly to ebikes unless they are low power, under 250W, with speed limit restrictions on the throttle if present. Here in the states, it's quite different. You may want to learn the local rules in your area. Here is a UK forum with a discussion spanning years that you may have seen.


If you buy a new ebike in the UK, you are probably legal. Be careful of the regulations if you look at a used model or build your own,

All of that legal baloney aside, my wife and I have enjoyed the last 15 years of riding ebikes. Many people we know can't even walk, much less get on two wheels, Great for health, if you stay upright!.

Welcome to the forum, Good luck on a choice.
 
There are little 250w front hub-motor kits that install on a regular bike in 15 minutes. The controller is in the battery holder and the battery looks a lot like a water bottle. They might have 50 km of range. I two part disc that is about 60 cm across fits over the bottom bracket shaft so it only give assistance when the pedals move forward. Unless you install it backwards. Then it only gives assistance when you are pedaling backwards.
 
Back