Ergon GP5 v GP3 v SQLab's 702/Innerbands

Aushiker

Region
Australia
City
Walyalup, Western Australia
While I have Ergon grips on my Jones H-bar, they do not have bar ends. My new 'touring bike' has flat bars and a Rohloff E14 Shifter and is currently fitted with Ergon GP1 Evo grips, but I would like more hand positions.

Hence, I am tossing between the Ergo GP5 BioKork grips and the GP3 BioKork grips.

Does anyone have experience with either? Is the GP5 just too much for long-distance multi-day rides?

The alternative is SQLab's 702 and a set of their innerbands. I am unsure about this idea but I am interested in others' experiences.

Is the GP5 just too much for long-distance multi-day rides?
These grips are huge. I had them on my fourth e-bike and hated them.

I am fond of Ergon GP2 grips in size S with small bar-ends on my Vado 6.0. (I chose size Small because of precious real estate on my handlebars).

1716826015881.png

I don't know the English anatomy terms. I rest the part of the palm as indicated by the arrow on the GP2 junction of the bar-end with the grip and even do not hold the bar-end. It is very nice for riding a long distance with the tailwind.

I have completed the Vado 6.0 setup with Innerbarends 411, which work with any handlebar grip. I owned an older and heavier version of 411s before and was happy. Later, I had to replace the old 411s with a new lightweight version and am not 100% happy.

I use the SQLab 710 together with Innerbarends 410/402 on my Vado SL. The grips are very comfortable and the version of Innerbarends is perfect for me. I only regret I cannot have a small bar-ends with the 710s!

Again, you do not hold Innerbarends; you rest the part of the palm between the thumb and the index finger on them, and the fingers may freely rest on brake levers.

Does anyone have experience with either? Is the GP5 just too much for long-distance multi-day rides?
I have a RM Supercharger2, HS, Rohloff with off-road options and have changed the original Ergon GP3 grips for GP5.

I find the additional hand position and consequential body position to be beneficial, particularly on long rides. I would guess that I've had the GP5s on the bike for at least 5,000km.

The GP3s were good but the GP5s, better.

I have a RM Supercharger2, HS, Rohloff with off-road options and have changed the original Ergon GP3 grips for GP5.

I find the additional hand position and consequential body position to be beneficial, particularly on long rides. I would guess that I've had the GP5s on the bike for at least 5,000km.

The GP3s were good but the GP5s, better.
Thanks, Peter. I think I will go with the GP5 grips. I do wonder but if the bar ends can be swapped out if desired.

1716874567568.png

GP5s are an abomination :) Just saying.

1716874939613.png

SQLab 710 with Innerbarends 410/402.

1716875202289.png

Ergon GP2 with Innerbarends 411

Last edited:
My partner, who is very much an aesthetics-over-function person, would probably agree with your thoughts on the GP5 grips, Stefan, whereas I am a function-over-aesthetic person, so I can see the value in the GP5 grips.

I am unconvinced about the SQLabs Innerbarends as I can see them pushing the controls inwards, hence being less ergonomic.

My partner, who is very much an aesthetics-over-function person, would probably agree with your thoughts on the GP5 grips, Stefan, whereas I am a function-over-aesthetic person, so I can see the value in the GP5 grips.
Trust me Andrew, I rode with either system for several thousand kilometres and those were long rides. GP5s are thick. Already after 40 km ridden you start realizing these grips are uncomfortable and little practical. The reaction time and moving your hands from GP5 onto brake levers are dramatically slow.

That's why I chose GP2s and Innerbarends for my long distance e-bike, having tried the GP3 before (not bad at all, I still have them -- heavily worn -- in my drawer).
I am unconvinced about the SQLabs Innerbarends as I can see them pushing the controls inwards, hence being less ergonomic.
It would be very hard to convince you to use IBEs. I was almost hostile towards them when tried them for the first time. However, there were several respected Forum members trying to convince me I should persist a little to get hooked. After several rides, I discovered I was not using anything else but Innerbarends! Riding with them has become my second nature. That's why:
  • Innerbarends shall be installed at such an angle the hand properly resting on them feels neither "vacuum" nor "back-pressure". It is the sweet point, the neutral position
  • You never hold Innerbarends. You just lay the part of the hand between the thumb and index finger on them; big part of the hand near to the wrist is still supported by the handlebar grip
  • Your fingers naturally rest on brake levers. Even if you are the most surprised by a situation, the access to the brakes is instant. It is as instant as it saved me or others around me from an accident
  • Your arms are spread exactly as if you were a road cyclist (44 cm). Still ensuring a great control, you feel like you were resting your hands on the road bike "hoods".
  • Your body position becomes relaxed yet sporty, relieving several body parts, especially the butt.
SQLab means Äskulap, or Asclepius. Very few brands understand ergonomics as well as SQLab does.

Well Andrew, it is your e-bike, your taste, your money. I cannot force you on something you do not like or discourage you from something you like :)

Last edited:
I do appreciate your input, Stefan, and I will give it more thought and take a closer look at how the innerbarends will change the reach to the various controls. My previous comments about ergonomics were not about the brakes but the ability to access the e-bike and Rohloff controls.

That all said, across three forums, you are the only person advocating for SQLabs ... not that that makes you wrong, of course. However, they do get a bit of love at Bikepacking.com and at MTBR.

On a positive note you may be pleased to know I have purchased a pair of Specialized 2FO Roots shoes :)

Last edited:
the ability to access the e-bike and Rohloff controls.
A valid point! My brother simply cannot install Innerbarends as it would made shifting with the push-push SRAM shifter hardly doable!
, you are the only person advocating for SQLabs .
Please do the EBR Forum search for "Innerbarends" :)
I have purchased a pair of Specialized 2FO Roots shoes
Me too :) Still, Adidas 510 Freerider Pro fit my feet better. I'm wearing 2FOs for shorter rides so they could "bed in" but still take the FiveTens on demanding rides even if they are fraying from the side!

Grips are like saddles, very much personal preference. What some people love, others hate. I've had so many friends who love the ESI chunky grips for MTBing. I tried a set and hated them.

GP5s are an abomination :) Just saying.

LOL. I mean, all bar ends are abominations, in the sense that they are second best solutions to a problem already solved another way (drop bars!). :D But they do give you that additional hand position. People who adapt flat bar bikes for endurance riding do what they can to get those additional riding positions. And I don't think Rohloff makes a drop bar shifter.

Back