eMTB Options For 2024

As previously posted, I wanted a bit more rise in my handlebars to accommodate my neck issues. Picked up a Spank Spike Vibrocore bar with 40mm rise.
It comes as 820mm which is way too wide for my style, so took 25mm off each end to run at 770. May take it down another 10mm to be the same as my Fathom, but we'll see.

Took a 12km run yesterday (all I can do at present - some Covid symptoms still) and the geometry felt better (I think).
Sure easy to trim bars with a pipe cutter - just a quick deburr with emery cloth and good to go.

Spank_Spike.jpg

Awesome. We need pics. 😊
Here is a pics as it's being prepped for the RideWrap with the candy 3 pedals installed ............ I know I know not the greatest shot but notice the one silver bolt on the rocker non driver side hmmmm what's this all about????

Attachments

• 20220410_191103.jpg
    20220410_191103.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 130
Hmm... noticed that it’s been pretty quiet here of late. I took to the trails yesterday and shot some footage along several trails that I ride on my weekly outings. These two in particular were out at the local MTB park plus the single at The Pines.

Nice trails to ride on. 👍
I have slacked off my riding...really need to get back into it.

Is the Orbea getting much use?

There is a trance x29 carbon at the local store with a very tempting price, and my 13 yo son "needs " a new bike ( aka if I wait any longer, he's going to be too tall for anything I can inherit ) . I'm still needing about 50% assistance from the levo sl , but hopefully in a year of two I might be able to ride without a motor and enjoy a lighter bike.

It's a 21 model, so the last of the bikes with high spec suspension without electronic interference. Lets just say the last 4 years have taught me not to rush into early mtb tech .

I surprised myself on Sunday by making it up a local climbing trail with the motor off. We came up behind a group of scouts and it felt wrong to pass them so I switched the motor off and enjoyed a quiet ride. If I can pedal an 18 kg bike without assistance, then a 13 kg with less rear travel should be even easier.

I actually saw an orbea occum in the flesh today - VERY nice, I can see why you like it. The shop had 3x orbea wilds but thankfully not a rise in sight so my visa card was safe.

I spent 5 hours in the car today driving to the big smoke looking for a regular bike for the sprog - we found a shop with L and XL trance x29's AND reign 29's in both carbon AND alloy , with a mix of 2021 / 2022 models. My head hurts - I THINK the facts are right....a 2021 reign carbon 1 was cheaper than a 2022 reign carbon 2 , and only about $300 more than the alloy 22 !!! So I stretched the budget and am now jealous of my sons bike!!!

My initial plan was to harvest some parts from his bike and swap them with levo sl bits , but watching him toss that thing around I'm tempted to let him enjoy the good gear. It came with fox 38 elite forks - so h+l speed compression and rebound adjustment, the air bleeders , and 170 mm of sweetness ....do you think he'd notice if I swapped them for my fox 36 rythm 160 's ? The wheels are giant tr. -1's , so reasonably light carbon fibre - at the very least I'm going to have to slip them onto the SL mid week and see how losing close to a kg of unsprung weight feels ! ( 700 gm wheel and nearly 300 gm cassette ) . Carbon bars, 4 pot slx brakes, even the seat is nice!

One thing I did notice about the 2022 bikes is giant has improved their dropper post - it's now externally adjustable for travel. Great idea, unfortunately it was really stiff / sticky - perhaps an adjustment issue.

Giant are also moving to the electric suspension at a lower spec level, so instead of just the top of the range 0 model having live valve, even the 1 had it. I have mixed feelings about this - whilst the tech sounds impressive, you can't get a bike that comes stock with high end manual suspension - it's either live valve or mid spec on the 2/3 series bikes. Admittedly modern mid spec suspension is pretty good now!

Well that was an interesting learning experience! Did you know it helps to clean +/- re lube a new chain before adjusting the derailleur ? And you also adjust the b screw with the suspension at the sag point? I love learning new stuff.

From new, this thing was dropping the chain when backpedalling in 1,2, and 3 rd gear. I went through all the usual adjustments but it was still dropping occasionally in first. Much staring and swearing later we realised it was always the same chain link, and I could almost convince mtself it was stiff - so clean, lube, repeat x 4/5 and almost fixed.! I think we need to add some mud to loosen that link.....

I'm really starting to appreciate the value of a good lbs - my usual LBS delivers the bikes perfectly set up, this thing came from a supermarket style mega bike shop , and if they weren't a few hundred km away I'd be having a long chat with the mechanic! The list so far:

Both axles loose
derailier adjustment out +/- chain stiff
Three of the maestro bolts were not torqued correctly
Stem not straight
both grips loose ( as in spinning)
Both brake calipers not aligned ( 1 rubbing, the other off set)
Most of the cable ports were not even in the frame !

Not a big deal for me - in fact it's nice to spend some time with sprog showing him how to set everything up . But I feel sorry for anyone who buys from these places and rides the bikes before checking!

I'm also a bit pissed at the supply chain dynamics - my lbs couldn't get me an xl giant - even his mechanic has been waiting 12 months for an xl trance 29. Yet this store had lines of bikes on the floor, including 2021 models at significant discount. Ten years ago, my giant dealer could find out which shops had stock and arrange swaps / work as an agent for the other dealers etc - I guess the cooperative relationships have been destroyed by pandemic hoarding?

Well that was an interesting learning experience! Did you know it helps to clean +/- re lube a new chain before adjusting the derailleur ? And you also adjust the b screw with the suspension at the sag point? I love learning new stuff.

From new, this thing was dropping the chain when backpedalling in 1,2, and 3 rd gear. I went through all the usual adjustments but it was still dropping occasionally in first. Much staring and swearing later we realised it was always the same chain link, and I could almost convince mtself it was stiff - so clean, lube, repeat x 4/5 and almost fixed.! I think we need to add some mud to loosen that link.....

I'm really starting to appreciate the value of a good lbs - my usual LBS delivers the bikes perfectly set up, this thing came from a supermarket style mega bike shop , and if they weren't a few hundred km away I'd be having a long chat with the mechanic! The list so far:

Both axles loose
derailier adjustment out +/- chain stiff
Three of the maestro bolts were not torqued correctly
Stem not straight
both grips loose ( as in spinning)
Both brake calipers not aligned ( 1 rubbing, the other off set)
Most of the cable ports were not even in the frame !

Not a big deal for me - in fact it's nice to spend some time with sprog showing him how to set everything up . But I feel sorry for anyone who buys from these places and rides the bikes before checking!

I'm also a bit pissed at the supply chain dynamics - my lbs couldn't get me an xl giant - even his mechanic has been waiting 12 months for an xl trance 29. Yet this store had lines of bikes on the floor, including 2021 models at significant discount. Ten years ago, my giant dealer could find out which shops had stock and arrange swaps / work as an agent for the other dealers etc - I guess the cooperative relationships have been destroyed by pandemic hoarding?
Locally, nobody has any Giant MTBs in stock. It's a waiting list process and the last time I asked, no actual dates being offered.
There's the occasional other brands in stock, but not very often.

The Giant process of not allowing LBS to LBS transfer is a bit strange to me, but I don't have all the background as to why.
I think you probably have nailed it - pandemic hoarding, Big shops with deep pockets getting ALL the product and none leftover for smaller businesses.

I'm usually OK for a bit of a drive to get something, but Canada is a pretty big country and I'm not prepared to drive a 1000km at +$2/L for gas these days...

It really tested my brand vs store loyalty.

I like the Giant / Specialized after sales support and have a good store for each within 150 km drive. But neither store could sell me the bike I wanted in the size I needed. I work in a service industry and recognise how frustrating it is when customers cherry pick our service - easy stuff elsewhere, then come wanting us to fix the hard stuff at easy stuff price point. I feel dirty.

With a non e road bike I would not feel I needed to have local service. I even felt I needed local service with my non e mountain bike. With my E mountain bike and my E road bike I wanted a local dealer for both. Just that feeling of comfort because of warranty issues.

With a non e road bike I would not feel I needed to have local service. I even felt I needed local service with my non e mountain bike. With my E mountain bike and my E road bike I wanted a local dealer for both. Just that feeling of comfort because of warranty issues.

It's a carbon framed ( enduro) mountain bike -2021 giamt reign advanced pro 1 - so eg if the frame turns out to have a manufacturing fault a replacement frame set is $4400 ( aus) - pretty close to what I paid fpr the bike ! Original owner has " lifetime warranty " , which is meaningless if we don't have a cooperative dealer fighting giant for us.

Most of the running gear I'm comfortable dealing with myself, but eg if the forks or shock turn out to have a terminal manufacturing defect that gets expensive ( eg forks are fox 38 performance elite , so retail replacement cost is $1800 IF you can get them )

All highly unlikely to be needed, but I essentially bought a bike heavily discounted that was WAY outside of the spec level we could justify . IF we don't need anything under warranty then it was a great deal - a new bike cheaper than second hand. But if the frame develops a crack I'm going to have some challenging choices - several hours drive to what I now know is a cr@ppy shop, or go begging my lbs for help on a bike I bought elsewhere . Whilst I'm sure he'll smile and help, I'll still feel dirty.

Had my first tubeless puncture on the trail this afternoon - a mate noticed the hiss when we pulled up. Treated to a nice little fountain of sealant all over me and the track for about 10 seconds before it sealed. 10km from home at dusk - phew! I need more practice on the CO2 canisters but at least the Orange sealant did its job.

I'll put a patch on the tyre (DHR2 Exo+ MaxTerra 2.5) but it'll need replacing in a few hundred kays regardless. Any suggestions other than another one of those? I'm looking at the Assegai, DHF on the rear, or a Hans Dampf. It's been a solid tyre and I've never wanted for grip but it is wearing fast - I'll swap it at about the 1400km mark. Local trails are mainly loose gravel and leaf little and the odd choppy rock section. I'm prioritising grip over rolling resistance in this stage of my (lack of) ability.

Had the pleasure of riding the Dungog Common flow trail last weekend. It was fantastic! The place was absolutely packed. Great stuff from the local association. Not my video but a good look at the track as ridden by far more competent riders:

I'll put a patch on the tyre (DHR2 Exo+ MaxTerra 2.5) but it'll need replacing in a few hundred kays regardless. Any suggestions other than another one of those? I'm looking at the Assegai, DHF on the rear, or a Hans Dampf. It's been a solid tyre and I've never wanted for grip but it is wearing fast - I'll swap it at about the 1400km mark. Local trails are mainly loose gravel and leaf little and the odd choppy rock section. I'm prioritising grip over rolling resistance in this stage of my (lack of) ability.

My vote is you try the Assegai and report back - if you can't decide between a dh f/r it's the logical choice, plus I'd like to know :) My impression from watching sprog 3 on one is it doesn't brake as well as the dhr but gives him more confidence sliding through corners. Unfortunately he's 20 kg lighter than me so I can't just swap bikes and decide .

The DHR has more aggressive rows of tread blocks than the F - as mentioned it assists with braking. However it's common to hear of riders running a F on the rear as well, with something that rolls faster up front for hardpack. With an ebike these are less important issues, traction ranking higher for the heavier bike, and less rolling resistance less important.

IMO the better grade of puncture protection offered by their exo+ is an advantage, however it does add some weight to the tire. Maxxis has a very broad array of options for dirt tires for sure. I'm still liking the tubeless option and just carry a spare tube for a bad puncture or one on the sidewall.

What other new bikes are out? I haven't been getting announcements from the industry like I have in the past.

Back