eMTB Options For 2024

BTW, this same subject just came over email from SingleTracks News - and a poll you can take:

Thanks, a few links later I got to this discussion on how a tyre grips. Particularly interesting for me because I'm struggling to decide if I replace the grip I'm enjoying with my rear Specialized tyre VS the feel I prefer from a dhr. The article provides a nice framework for articulating the different characteristics , I just need to decide what I prioritise. I've been running the specialized on the back for a year now, I couldn't stand their fronts but have come to appreciate the rear - almost like moving from shimano brakes to sram, the sram feel wrong at first but eventually feel better. I'll probably still go back to a dhr , then swap to an Assegai before scratching my bald spot and return to specialized

Interesting link, thanks @PDoz.

Assegai ordered, 2.5" Exo+. Super curious to see how it goes up back. I've had a few scary moments where I've gotten the rear wheel quite sideways on some loose, rough descents so we'll see if it locks in differently to the DHR.

I recently was able to put the stock set of T9/T7, Butcher/Eliminator tires to the test on my new Levo CC mulllet out on a few singletracks at Kimberley BC. Both tires sport pretty aggressive tread with slightly different spacing between the center tread blocking. They’re recommended for hard pack or drier conditions which suits me just fine.

The Grid Trail casing adds another layer of poly which make it a bit heavier albeit stiffer and likely more resistant to pinch flatting. I’m running tubeless on the Levo Both tires use firmer compound on the center tread and softer rubber on the shoulder blocks. With different compounds running on front (T9 Butcher) and rear (T7 Eliminator), I suppose that I get more grip and damping on the front where it’s needed.

I’m impressed so far but have a lot more riding to do before I render a definitive review.

New motor mk 2 on it's way ! On saturday I noticed some movement between my 300 km old levo sl motor and the cranks . I had been religious about checking torque , but the bike had 1 ride with the original cranks and presumably they had worn the motors spline.

Cr@p - the bike is 2 years and 1 month old....lets just say saturday was stressful because I thought I was out of warranty. The lbs laughed at me " this is specialized" - apparently they still do a rolling warranty, so this new motor comes with 12 months warranty!

Happy days! Whatever their reliability, I hear nothing but good things about the Specialized after sales support. Tons of users over at the EMTB Forums with good tales: out of warranty, 2nd/3rd/4th motor replaced, stock or chipped, seems Specialized just wants happy customers. Which is outstanding, and a long shot from Shimano's approach...

Happy days! Whatever their reliability, I hear nothing but good things about the Specialized after sales support. Tons of users over at the EMTB Forums with good tales: out of warranty, 2nd/3rd/4th motor replaced, stock or chipped, seems Specialized just wants happy customers. Which is outstanding, and a long shot from Shimano's approach...

Absolutely!

Also a vast improvement on giant - my Giant had the motor replaced a few weeks before the warranty expired. I asked what would happen if I had issues - essentially pay for a new motor then get 12 months warranty on that motor. The non transferable Giant warranty was also a major factor in me changing brands.

The crazy thing is, I originally went with the levo sl because they had a reputation for reliability. Having ip rated waterproofing was a bonus. It took a couple of years for issues to start showing up, and most seem to be related to the spindle which is replaceable . I guess a worn spindle on an sl motor is less scary than a snapped shimano ep8 spindle....

I do suspect customers pay a price for spec warranty. Back in 2018 a levo was similarly priced to the competition, they jumped relative to other brands around 2020 - aka after the 2019 brose mag fiasco that resulted in spec extending those motors out to 4 years warranty. That must have cost the company a fortune , plus it probably attracted customers who were more likely to make warranty ckaims.

Absolutely!

Also a vast improvement on giant - my Giant had the motor replaced a few weeks before the warranty expired. I asked what would happen if I had issues - essentially pay for a new motor then get 12 months warranty on that motor. The non transferable Giant warranty was also a major factor in me changing brands.

The crazy thing is, I originally went with the levo sl because they had a reputation for reliability. Having ip rated waterproofing was a bonus. It took a couple of years for issues to start showing up, and most seem to be related to the spindle which is replaceable . I guess a worn spindle on an sl motor is less scary than a snapped shimano ep8 spindle....

I do suspect customers pay a price for spec warranty. Back in 2018 a levo was similarly priced to the competition, they jumped relative to other brands around 2020 - aka after the 2019 brose mag fiasco that resulted in spec extending those motors out to 4 years warranty. That must have cost the company a fortune , plus it probably attracted customers who were more likely to make warranty ckaims.
An interesting world we live in!

It is disappointing the motors fail in the first place, warrantee or not. :rolleyes:

Absolutely, but I probably need to accept some responsibility as the common factor? Both giant ( yamaha pwx) and the specialuzed mahle ( sl) motor have a reputation for reliability - yet I've had both "fail". Nb all of these issues are me detecting relatively minor faults - not true failures, perhaps I'm just a little pedantic?

At 98 kg , I'm also approaching the weight where perhaps the manufacturers are not expecting athletic use?
I don't consider myself an extreme mtb rider, but on Sunday we came across a large group who were convinced they had seen me at another venue...something about someone of my build riding the way I do ...This was halfway down a rocky black run , and I was very much enjoying myself. Now, I don't do big gap jumps or fancy stunts, but skipping through rock gardens must put interesting forces through the bottom bracket?

Weight watchers warning

I weighed my levo sl today and got a reality check - she has crept up from 18 to 19 kg over the past year. Almost the same % change as me.... It's amazing how all those " just a bit heavier" things add up!

Front tyre ( dhf 2.5 max terra exo ) - an extra 300 gm over stock rubber!, plus I hate to think how much sealant I've poured into both - at least an extra 200 ml ? I normally use a lighter version on the front but couldn't source if at the time. I'll keep my eyes open for a discounted dhf or assengai in a lighter version .

Forks - fox 36 - another 350 gms over the stock fox 34 . Totally unnecessary ego boost...They stay.

Rear shock - rock shox superdeluxe - another 200 gms over the stock fox dps but worth every grm.

I really should wash the bike....at least another 250 gms.

Even the comfy seat / grips added a bit. They stay!

Ironically I had plans for weight loss , most of which are sitting on the shelf waiting for original parts to wear out:

The nx cassette has to go - I can save 350 gms by fitting the garbunk cassette, or get serious by shaving 650 gms using the shimano xt 11 sp system on my shelves ( spares for the giant) . Trouble is, the NX is wearing well....

Oneupcomponents dropper would be another 150 gm saving if I could be bothered swapping across with my giant.

Sprog 3's wheels from his giant reign are at least a 600 gm saving ! More if I swap over tyres . The trouble is, I'd probably steal his fox 38 forks at the same time and negate much of that saving.

So theoretically I could hit low 17 kg but she is perfectly functional at 19 kg. I guess that 250 gm of mud shows my motivation levels....

As previously posted, I wanted a bit more rise in my handlebars to accommodate my neck issues. Picked up a Spank Spike Vibrocore bar with 40mm rise.
It comes as 820mm which is way too wide for my style, so took 25mm off each end to run at 770. May take it down another 10mm to be the same as my Fathom, but we'll see.

Took a 12km run yesterday (all I can do at present - some Covid symptoms still) and the geometry felt better (I think).
Sure easy to trim bars with a pipe cutter - just a quick deburr with emery cloth and good to go.

View attachment 119320
Update on bars - I think they are doing what I wanted with one minor niggle.

When I am riding streets or when riding with certain others, I sometimes want to use a mirror to see what's behind me (neck issues make it difficult for me to simply swivel my head).
I am a big fan of the Mirrycle bar end mirrors, but after trimming the bars, the part that is inserted into the end of the bars won't quite go in all the way. It's close, and I use it the way it is, but it's too bad.

I could, of course get an appropriately sized spade bit and remove 5mm of Vibrocore but not prepared to do that... yet.

Helmet update - wear the ful face!!!

Sprog 1 came off in some rocky stuff yesterday - after a long day in the emergency dept I am VERY glad she was wearing ATGAT ! From the twisted wreck that was her leatt full face , it appears she hit the chinpiece and her temple - both critical areas . She hit hard enough to be vomiting for a while and mildly concussed , but no loss of consciousness - I believe the rotational impact system in her leatt worked ( like mips )

Her gloves , elbow, and knee guards all had evidence of use - but no injuries in any of the areas covered!

Just a cracked rib and sore neck ( no fracture on ct scan - phew) , it could have been a LOT worse.

New helmet ordered - unfortunately the leatt isn't available in Aus at the moment but my bell super air fits her so that'll do. I really like the look of the leatt 4 , pitty.

Helmet update - wear the ful face!!!

Sprog 1 came off in some rocky stuff yesterday - after a long day in the emergency dept I am VERY glad she was wearing ATGAT ! From the twisted wreck that was her leatt full face , it appears she hit the chinpiece and her temple - both critical areas . She hit hard enough to be vomiting for a while and mildly concussed , but no loss of consciousness - I believe the rotational impact system in her leatt worked ( like mips )

Her gloves , elbow, and knee guards all had evidence of use - but no injuries in any of the areas covered!

Just a cracked rib and sore neck ( no fracture on ct scan - phew) , it could have been a LOT worse.

New helmet ordered - unfortunately the leatt isn't available in Aus at the moment but my bell super air fits her so that'll do. I really like the look of the leatt 4 , pitty.
Damn! Scary moment for sprog and parent alike. Glad to hear the damage was relatively limited. A timely reminder to wear my FF more too - it's a convertible so I've got no excuse not to carry it, aside from feeling like a bit of a wally on green and blue trails.

Chatting to a wizened lone MTBer on the trails a few weeks back, he imparted the sage advice: 'You learn a lot from your crashes'. True that.

On the topic of safety gear big ups to the Bell Super DH helmet, 100% Ridecamp knee pads and grippy, grippy Five Tens, and a down vote for the uncomfortable Fox Enduro elbow pads.

Absolutely - she had just put the chin piece on having warmed up with 2 blue runs. We'd already had the discussion with " it's your choice, but I'd already be wearing mine for the blue runs" . After 4 years she has been slipping towards " forgetting" to go full face. I doubt I'll ever need to have that discussion again!!!

I'm really impressed with how the leatt worked, it's their early convertible and I remember lots of discussions about them not being down hill racing certified . I'd glad she was wearing something that has deformed and absorbed some of the forces rather than having a relatively rigid chin that passes some arbitrary deformation standard. Leatt was founded when a trauma surgeons son suffered a neck injury moto cross racing , and I see the logic in having crumple zones. Her neck survived.

I'm on my second bell -the original super 3R was adequate but a bit too hot for use in summer. I now have a bell super air - incredibly light, I leave the chin piece on 90% of the time - even when I'm just wandering back up a 4wd track to get the car - minimal restriction to airflow and VERY light. They're not perfect - they have an annoying habit of the back retaining mechanism coming apart in between rides - we have 3 in the family and they all do it. I think the leatt retaining system is a better design, but unfortunately they are not available at the moment plus those donut things irritate my old skin cancer scars.

Back