eMTB Options For 2024

I wonder if you can actually get one of these...

There's been one on the local showroom for a month - it's over 20 kg , and more expensive than a carbon merida e160 800 which isn't much heavier!

The marzochi z2 forks are a budget version of fox 34's ( merida has z1's- budget fox 36's)

An e160 scores better rear shock ( dpx 2 vs dps) , better brakes, bigger disks

As much as I love the original rise, they seem to have cut the wrong corners with the alloy bikes

I don't think Merida sells in the USA. Seems everywhere else, so why would they skip a huge market here?

I don't think Merida sells in the USA. Seems everywhere else, so why would they skip a huge market here?
I read somewhere it was due to 'historical client courtesy'. I think Santa Cruz may be the client in question. Pity, you miss out on a cracking range of bikes. https://ebike-mtb.com/en/merida-eone-sixty-975-2022-review/

My entry level e160 500 has been wonderful (when the trails have been dry enough to ride): a very forgiving, confidence inspiring but capable bike. Hasn't skipped a beat in the first 1k of riding. In retrospect I should have coughed up the extra $1400 for the next model up with upgraded everything, but the basic suspension isn't holding my meagre skills back yet.

" client courtesy" is an interesting name for restrictive trade practices. It'd make for an interesting economics / philosophy discussion! How does it feel to live in a country where you don't have equal opportunities as a consumer?

I think Merida pulled out of America before the Asia tax , it might have been around the time they purchased 49% of specialized ? I guess an Asian built bike with Euro design input is less appealing to some than an Asian built bike with Californian design input ?

Over here , Merida are pitched at a similar price point to Giant. They were cutting edge around 2018 but seem to have a similar ( slow) update philosophy to Specialized - 3/4 years between major changes . Their warranty is closer to Giant than Specialized - 12 months, non transferable , and pass the buck to component manufacturers . A work mate had his Merida out of action for months with an electrical glitch , with the blame being bounced between merida and shimano . Same lbs got my specialized motor replaced in days.

They make great bikes at a reasonable price - about 20% below an equivalent specialized .

Heard a similar story on our local eMTB group with shimano passing the buck on a faulty wiring harness. He got it resolved eventually but the motor got passed around about 4 times between the dealer and shimano.

They (Shimano) really need to up their game, particularly given the stellar after sales support from Specialized and Bosch. The motors may be sweet little units but the more these stories get round the less people will roll the dice on them. I was on the fence between the e160 with EP8 and Trek Rail with Bosch. If I'd heard a few more of these stories I'd likely have passed entirely on the Shimano electronics.

Another feather-weight option...

I'm impressed that Trek didn't stuff around trying to grab headlines with an ultralight - they've aimed light enough and it sounds like they are addressing the things that count to owners - an enjoyable / engaging ride experience, a quiet bike, and even discrete.

It'll be interesting to see how they stack up for reliability - I've got 2 years warranty left on this levo SL motor so hopefully by then we'll know if these are a safe bet. VERY interesting bike!

Meanwhile, for anyone wanting to have the argument about lower powered bikes with small batteries.

Today I nipped out for a casual training loop on the local trails with a mate on his trek fuel ex ( essentially the unpowered version of that trek) . Michael is a dedicated cyclist - he spins cranks 2/3 x a week in a group of massochistic freaks who think nothing of 100-150 km road rides. The weight of my levo SL + me would come pretty close to twice his weight....and we've spent decades riding motorbikes together so our off road skills are as close to equally matched as is possible.

Essentially the levo SL doubled my legs and allowed me to keep up with him. I could possibly have pushed a fraction harder, and to be honest my solo lap is usually 20% faster - but we were also chatting / relaxing more than usual .

Mission control tells me the bike used 214 wh - so I might have managed another half lap on the stock battery, but could easily had gone out again with the range extender. I think I might have managed another slower lap , but we were both starting to lose our edge on the down hills . He definitely wasn't going out for any more riding. Sure, it was only a 21 km ride and we only averaged 16 kph - but 100% of that time was spent covering the brakes and concentrating! Average support level was 147 % that's slightly above my normal reading on a fast solo loop - 144% . Most importantly, ALL the readings were faster / more efficient than I ever achieved on my full power giant. Ie the same loop on my giant always used over 250 wh , an extra 5-10 minutes, and max speed on that loop never got over 35 kph (36 today) .

I'm sold on these things - the 150-160 mm trail bike lower weight emtb is a magical compromise. I wouldn't rush out to buy that trek just to get something quieter , but if those motors prove to be reliable I could see it being my perfect bike

No vid...but a nice article on '23 Pivot and Santa Cruz in review:

interesting to read that they steepen the head tube angle on the larger sized bikes. I've really noticed my son having to work harder through corners since he moved from a L to XL size bike - despite the XL being lighter / higher spec.

Same wheel set?

If you mean sprogs bikes - I'm sure there is more to the difference than just frame size - both have 29 x 2.4 shed with maxis, although the slower steering xl has lighter + stiffer wheels , is 3 kg lighter, and he's going a LOT faster!!! His XL is a giant glory carbon, the L was a scott genius 940 - so other factors include forks 180 x 38 mm vs 150 x34 mm ( same rear travel) , a few extra degrees head angle, and about 3 years geometry improvement.

But from a purely irrational observers perspective - this is the first time I've seen him look over biked and it's also the first time he's been on the shorter end of height for bike size

That live suspension is da bomb.
Yes, but at a steep price and still VERY limited availability locally.
If there had been one that I could have gotten by June I may have sprung for it anyways, but it was pretty clear they were being built with Unobtainium - at least here.

Some health issues would probably have made the choice clearer, as I have to take a lot of care these days, so I am pretty happy with the choice I made to stay with the 2021 version, albeit the LIV.

Yes, but at a steep price and still VERY limited availability locally.
If there had been one that I could have gotten by June I may have sprung for it anyways, but it was pretty clear they were being built with Unobtainium - at least here.

Some health issues would probably have made the choice clearer, as I have to take a lot of care these days, so I am pretty happy with the choice I made to stay with the 2021 version, albeit the LIV.
Yeah, it's just me being a guy that loves toys. :) I don't ride a lot of rough stuff that would take advantage of it anymore.

Back