eMTB Options For 2024

Sprog 2 borrowed a levo sl to join us on the eastern half of the bay of fires ride ( Tasmania, Australia) She's my least enthusiastic mtb rider , she probably could have done the ride on her regular bike but I didn't want the stress. I chewed through half my battery, she only used 25% ! Sprog 3 was on his regular reign and spent most of the time disapearing into the distance. There were 4 emtb's out on the trail - ALL levo sl's. Awesome bikes for these flowy mountain rides
12DCBE83-5FD0-40A4-B0D7-97FC794317BC.jpeg
84E364AE-26F8-4783-A8B3-BAD7CC6DB381.jpeg

Confession of an idiot. As I left Derby today I noticed another bike hire shop...with a trek exe.......it took every fibre of self control ( and 3 car sick kids) to stop me hiring that thing . After all...the kids had been asking what I'd like for xmas....and sprog 1 has developed a nasty habbit of grabbing my levo sl.

CBDFE44C-21FE-4402-B459-9584DCFE3A7D.jpeg

Confession of an idiot. As I left Derby today I noticed another bike hire shop...with a trek exe.......it took every fibre of self control ( and 3 car sick kids) to stop me hiring that thing . After all...the kids had been asking what I'd like for xmas....and sprog 1 has developed a nasty habbit of grabbing my levo sl.

View attachment 142573
Christmas sounds like it's gonna be great!

Two seconds difference?
Another big factor is rider weight - drop ten pounds and see how your times do. ;)

metric in Australia, so I need to drop 10 kg ( at least)

We interviewed a potential worker recently, she had been involved in a study comparing reported outcomes of medication trials between studies with different funding sources....not that I'm implying a certain journalist gets funding from specialized

Apologies in advance for the sl brag - this thing is frkn awesome.

I tagged along with the kids today from the top of lake mountain into marysville - a tough 30 ish km , on a 30+ degree (c) day. Only about 900 m of climbing / 1500 m of descending, but the trails were dusty and chewed out so I barely got past 3 rd gear on most of the climbs! There were lots of fit looking analogue walkers. The descents were brutal - every time I was starting to get some flow up we'd hit a rock garden off a drop that was hidden by a cloud of dust. The levo sl just sucked it all up , but my neck / shoulders / wrists were screaming.

I only took a few photos at the start - once things got technical I was in survival mode.

6AE83B2E-428A-46C8-A54C-52A0F8CDAF39.jpeg

@PDoz,
I'm just curious. Have watched several EMBN episodes involving the Fuel EX-e. I could listen to the opinion of Steve Jones and Chris Smith. They seemed to be embarrassed with the Fuel EX-e. 19 kg with a weaker motor and a smallish battery compared to 21 kg of the high-end Trek Rail 9.9 (which is less expensive!) They appeared to be more convinced with the Rail and decided "there certainly could be some people interested with the Fuel EX-e".

Apart of the silent motor, is anything there really convincing about the Fuel EX-e? (It looks it would be even hard to install a water-bottle-cage in the Fuel!)

@PDoz,
I'm just curious. Have watched several EMBN episodes involving the Fuel EX-e. I could listen to the opinion of Steve Jones and Chris Smith. They seemed to be embarrassed with the Fuel EX-e. 19 kg with a weaker motor and a smallish battery compared to 21 kg of the high-end Trek Rail 9.9 (which is less expensive!) They appeared to be more convinced with the Rail and decided "there certainly could be some people interested with the Fuel EX-e".

Apart of the silent motor, is anything there really convincing about the Fuel EX-e? (It looks it would be even hard to install a water-bottle-cage in the Fuel!)

I missed my chance to rent one for a day so am waiting for a mate to receive the one he has ordered before I decide if it's worth trading from my levo sl. I suspect not, but the quiet motor would be nice.

He's a fit rock climbing adrenaline junkie, and wasn't sure if he wanted a human powered bike or emtb. He'd ridden my levo sl and wasn't impressed with the weight vs power compromise, but after riding the exe he's buying one. Enough power, unobtrusive delivery, and quiet was his opinion.

I take embn reviews with a grain of salt - they seem more interested in the cockpit clutter and whatever figures than any real world performance - playing to the audience?

@PDoz,

I wouldn't go off what Stephen Jones or the EMBN crew say or do! He doesn't strike me as particularly technical or knowledgable and has a bias towards full fat full sus emtbs. He dislikes/ignores hardtails for instance. I think Rob Rides emtbs is a far more technical reviewer, or that serious Norwegian fella hosting the EMTB Videos channel. Like him a lot.

, or that serious Norwegian fella hosting the EMTB Videos channel. Like him a lot.

I like reading knut but can't bring myself to watch his videos. Probably some weird childhood trauma , perhaps from memorizing everything I could read in motorbike magazines, and then meeting / riding with the pen pushers . Lets be honest - a technical genius isn't going to become a journalist. Nor is a world class racer. ( apologies to Alan Cathcart . I'll never forget sitting back listening to him and an engineering friend chat - no ego, nothing to prove, just equal minds sharing enthusiasm )

I like reading knut but can't bring myself to watch his videos. Probably some weird childhood trauma , perhaps from memorizing everything I could read in motorbike magazines, and then meeting / riding with the pen pushers . Lets be honest - a technical genius isn't going to become a journalist. Nor is a world class racer. ( apologies to Alan Cathcart . I'll never forget sitting back listening to him and an engineering friend chat - no ego, nothing to prove, just equal minds sharing enthusiasm )
Knut? His name is really Knut? That's fabulous. I had no idea. Is he a former MTB racer then or something? Though I disagree with you about former racers not becoming journalists. It does happen, Rob Warner is very very funny. And don't get me wrong I think Jones is entertaining, but in a 'bloke down the pub' way, entertaining and good to watch, I just wouldn't go off everything he says. If you know UK comedy; he's a bit Alan Partridge!

Come on, Ras... Steve Jones has demonstrated not once and not twice he is an experienced MTB-er... He was born in 1966 and he is really entitled to promote e-MTBs :) An entertaining man indeed. I often watch the EMBN out of interest (and I eventually discovered I am not interested in singletrack mountain biking!)

Rob Warner? He seems to be overly enthusiastic. What happened to that TQ 120 motor he was so fascinated with?

P.S. There is one thing I cannot understand about EMBN. Certainly these guys use helmet mounted cameras and drones. However, it is obvious they use a videographer, too. How in the world do they get the videographer to the wilderness they are riding?!

Last edited:
Back