eMTB Options For 2024

The writing was on the wall for the Trance. It was great machine but it was eventually destined for new digs once the Levo moved in. The new owner from Lethbridge, AB is stoked to take it out on the local trails as well as a few destinations in the BC interior. I had one last ride on it yesterday before getting it prepped for pickup.

IMG_20220805_1317419.jpg

Interesting article on 3 wheelers - quietly sitting amongst the pictures is a down hill event organiser sitting on his levo!!!
Great article! Thanks for sharing. 👍

The writing was on the wall for the Trance. It was great machine but it was eventually destined for new digs once the Levo moved in. The new owner from Lethbridge, AB is stoked to take it out on the local trails as well as a few destinations in the BC interior. I had one last ride on it yesterday before getting it prepped for pickup.

View attachment 134393
Do you have just the one bike there are some good reasons to have at least 2:)

Do you have just the one bike there are some good reasons to have at least 2:)
Yeah, that thought had crossed my mind on more than one occasion but the fact that I always seemed to head out on the trails with the Levo was proof enough. It’s also more preferable to ride in that it’s nimbler on the tight, twisty singletracks here. I was trying to convince my wife to start riding with me and initially she appeared to show some interest in the Trance but it never materialized into anything more than, ‘Maybe next week, dear.’ I just presume that she’s more into road riding rather than trail adventures.

With seven bikes (3 e-bikes/4 analog) in total, there just wasn’t any storage room available for an eighth. I perform all of the routine maintenance on the bikes and it can be somewhat of a fiasco when it comes to sorting out spare parts and bits for all of our rides.

Yeah, that thought had crossed my mind on more than one occasion but the fact that I always seemed to head out on the trails with the Levo was proof enough. It’s also more preferable to ride in that it’s nimbler on the tight, twisty singletracks here. I was trying to convince my wife to start riding with me and initially she appeared to show some interest in the Trance but it never materialized into anything more than, ‘Maybe next week, dear.’ I just presume that she’s more into road riding rather than trail adventures.

With seven bikes (3 e-bikes/4 analog) in total, there just wasn’t any storage room available for an eighth. I perform all of the routine maintenance on the bikes and it can be somewhat of a fiasco when it comes to sorting out spare parts and bits for all of our rides.

With seven bikes (3 e-bikes/4 analog) in total, there just wasn’t any storage room available for an eighth. I perform all of the routine maintenance on the bikes and it can be somewhat of a fiasco when it comes to sorting out spare parts and bits for all of that wou

yes a wife that would go mountain biking with you would be to good to be true😁

Just a heads up for anyone wanting a 2022 specialized Turbo Levo(Gen 3). There is a 9 day sale going on thru specialized that seems to be honored by local specialized dealers. The discounts are pretty substantial.

I will likely be buying a 2022 turbo levo comp alloy tomorrow.

Just a heads up for anyone wanting a 2022 specialized Turbo Levo(Gen 3). There is a 9 day sale going on thru specialized that seems to be honored by local specialized dealers. The discounts are pretty substantial.

I will likely be buying a 2022 turbo levo comp alloy tomorrow.
Awesome deals. Too bad the discounts don’t apply to dealers up here. Such is life.

Enjoy your ride and hope to see you and your new Levo on the trails soon. 👍

How often do you guys replace valve cores?

I was having trouble seating an Assegai the other month and took it in to the store. They of course had it on in seconds (owning something other than a foot pump would help there...) but noted the core was blocked up and replaced it. It had about 12 months of use.

Both my bikes are tubeless now so I was thinking of buying a 10 pack of cores and replacing them each year.

12 Emtb's for 2023...

Sam does a really phenomenal job with his show staying up on the latest and I follow him (when I have time to check out YouTube).

That Crestline is very interesting...is anyone familiar with that chain system? I think I'm adding it to my "will be buying myself a new eMTB for Xmas" options list. My challenge is to either go for that Bafang with thumb throttle dirtbike mode vs class 3 PAS.

Bafang options:
  • Watt Wagons Hydra
  • Luna Cycle Z1

PAS options:
  • GreyP G6
  • YT Decoy
  • Canyon Torque:ON CF 8
  • Crestline
NOTE: There are others but I'm trying to stay below $7K, and I would add Kellys Theos in my list but I live in the US where they do not ship.

I was having trouble seating an Assegai the other month and took it in to the store. They of course had it on in seconds (owning something other than a foot pump would help there...) but noted the core was blocked up and replaced it. It had about 12 months of use.

Both my bikes are tubeless now so I was thinking of buying a 10 pack of cores and replacing them each year.
Just did a tire swap and the rear loses air way faster than the front. Perhaps I should check this out.
Cheers,

12 Emtb's for 2023...

Great list. Things are moving fast now. I think once Shimano came out with decent motors it felt like there was nothing stopping smaller brands from moving into the emtb space as most had an existing relationship with shimano. Looking ahead to '23 with Bosch Shimano Bafang Brose and all the smaller motor manufacturers out there, the range of bikes is exploding.

The big surprise in Sam's list was that the tiny TQ motor is not unique to Trek. That's exciting. Be interesting to see who else comes on board that lightweight motor now. And maybe cheaper bike then Trek! I don't know much about BH though It seems they are huge in Spain. Think they also make their own motor so this is interesting.

Try to stop getting sealant down the core when inflating / checking pressure - do these things with the valve below 3/9 oclock so sealant is less likely to drip. It only takes one episode, and then the gunge will make it harder to pump the tyre up AND pressure checks inaccurate.

I presume you know that when you are trying to seal a new tyre, don't have the core in. You need a quick burst of pressure and the core prevents that.

Unfortunately, you can also fill the valve ( not core) with gunge if you are unlucky with position when you store the bike. I'm not motivated enough to remember this so I just keep spare valves and replace them with tires IF they are grungy.

Focus gave me my first taste of a lighter emtb back in 2018 ( we borrowed the lbs' owners bike) ,

I'm sot sure I like the idea of HAVING to remove the battery to charge ( no charging port unless you buy a range extender) . There are days I put the bike away dirty and just plug it in, and I'm not really comfortable rremoving a battery whilst the bike is covered in mud etc - too much risk of cntaminating the connections.

Yeah that struck me too. Exactly that, leave the bike in garage and just plug in. Nice looking bike otherwise.

Back