eMTB Options For 2024

Fair enough, and yes I know he's experienced. I mean that in comparison I don't learn a whole lot from his reviews, entertaining though they are. Like watching Top Gear expecting to get info on buying a family car! In comparison with the other's reviewers who seem better at 'under the hood' reviews. Rob Rides frequently swaps forks or rear suspension parts to try a new bike with his preferred set up and get a better understanding of what a new motor/geometry/components have to the ride.
And yeah I wouldn't buy a bike from Rob Warner either, though he was world champion - as he never fails to tell us. He is very funny though. Shame that Redbull lost the Downhill rights to Discovery. I didn't see Rob talk about the TQ120 but I would however buy his Vitus E-Sommet emtb as he's put that bike through hell and it's still standing! Looks a great bike.

EMBN - think they have an e mountainbiker cameraman called Dave or Doug or something, they often talk to him about the mountain side videos he shoots with them, while he's behind the camera in the studio segments.

I guess I'm on the mailing list for ORBEA.
I was actually entertaining the thought of selling my OCCAM because I never ride it. When I go out for a putt I ride the Trance-E, the fancy CF one sits. I bet it has fifty miles on it if that. Used ones on Pro's Closet still sell for about 78% of new pricing. Anyway, I digress. I bought it for riding trips where I end up on some trail that prohibits e-bikes. So far I just ride one anyway. I always relished the thought of some trail-honcho telling a white-haired old man he can't ride his bike on a trail. 😇

This came across my desk today...they sure seem to make nice bikes. It would appear they have a few 2022's on sale for 25% off - $4199. Seems like a steal-deal:

Orbea Wild product page:

I got to ride a trek exe today. I LOVE the motor - super quiet, more low cadence support than my levo sl but still gentle enough to be unobtrusive.

Unfortunately it was the budget spec version, 9.5, so crappy rockshox deluxe shock. The rest of the components were bearable, but that rear shock was disgraceful.

It's apparently only 1.5 kg heavier than my bike, but it felt a fair bit less lively. Some of that would be my suspension set up, but it just didn't feel as flickable - especially in the rear. Yet my levo sl was a LOT more stable through the rough stuff. Possibly an unfair comparison - I have upgraded suspension ( fox 36 x 160 mm and rockshox super deluxe ) , plus I've had over a year to fine tune the bike. But particularly through rocky black sections or whooped out berms the trek was REALY struggling with the rear end pushing the front and bouncing around. Entertaining to watch from behind......

I think if the levo sl dies I could live with a trek exe , but the nicer motor wasn't nice enough to sacrifice the rest of my levo sl's magic AND sink some extra $

Last edited:
Damn.....the trek exe 9.5 is on special, $2 k ( aus) off. That'd pay for a 2023 fox 36 performance elite with grip 2 damper AND a RS super deluxe shock.....I think I need to try fitting some decent running gear onto Petes bike and have another ride.

Yeah, the Stance E+ Pro - got the 85nm pro motor and a 800w pack. Wow! Price is getting up there too though.
A couple of models on sale - E+ 1 for $4200?

are The Trance X Advanced E + Elite. Man, that’s a mouthful.
I've noticed that many ebikes have ridiculously long product names. With lots of ridiculous made-up words. Many examples in the Step-Thru thread alone.

Have to wonder about the marketing wisdom in this kind of branding. Auto makers face a similar model-naming challenge. They keep it pretty short. Their product names are just as meaningless but a lot easier to remember.

Of course, everybody uses made-up words in product names, some better than others. Maybe the good ones were all snapped up by the time ebikes came along. That would also explain the really weird new drug names you see in TV ads.
:^}

Canyon is back shipping bikes again...

A few nice looking models there. A quick glance showed their ebike range to be carbon fiber...didn't see an alloy option. Big battery option though...900W pack for 60 mile range.

With Fox36, $5200!

full_2022_spectral-on-cf-8-cus_3116_bu-bu_P5_1.jpg

Evidently the supply chain issues and rush during the pandemic has been resolved and there are lots of bikes for sale - they're even back to discounting them again.
I found a link to 'bike exchange' from another industry blog, seems it's a sale listing service for bike dealers - new and used. There's always the pro's closet, and Jensen.

I toy with selling my OCCAM cuz I never ride it and it was four grand. Seems it's still worth about $3K to $3500 - nice carbon eagle-geared 'niner with fox suspension.
Naw...I'll keep it. 🤩 😇😆

Evidently the supply chain issues and rush during the pandemic has been resolved and there are lots of bikes for sale - they're even back to discounting them again.
I found a link to 'bike exchange' from another industry blog, seems it's a sale listing service for bike dealers - new and used. There's always the pro's closet, and Jensen.

I toy with selling my OCCAM cuz I never ride it and it was four grand. Seems it's still worth about $3K to $3500 - nice carbon eagle-geared 'niner with fox suspension.
Naw...I'll keep it. 🤩 😇😆

bike exchange offers a good insight into remaining stock of discounted / run out models - I've used it when local bike shops can't source what I want, and paid $3.5-4.5 k on bikes that retail $6.5 k aus . Both bikes were 1-2 year old models but identical to the latest release, the shops were happy to get them off the floor and the kids ended up riding bikes MUCH better than what I would have bought locally. nb Australia doesn't have the US culture of heavy discounts on last years model - ie margins at the shop aren't enough for this to work, so shops manage stock levels tighter.

BUT , the last shopping experience was horrible - I put together a map with listings the night before, double checked on the morning then drove 2.5 hours to the big smoke. By the time we arrived, half the bikes I was interested in were sold! We ended up getting my son his giant reign advanced at a spectacular price so no regrets , it was more bike than we were looking for but just within the price range we had set and is serving him well. The day itself was exhausting - trying to decide between a trance x vs reign whilst wondering if it was worth driving another 40 mins to check out a carbon genius ( with the risk both giants would sell) . The dealer just saw a teenage boy so was pushing the reign, I'm still confident our lbs would have suggested a trance x because this teenage boy has the latest release natural ebike legs ( aka he beats me uphill now despite being on a human powered bike ) . Either would have been fine , but I'm still not sure the $ saved was worth the stress levels on the day.

Back