eMTB Options For 2024

Did anyone else notice them mention in the embn video that the bolt pattern is the same as the E7000 and E8000? If so, I wonder how many will consider upgrading to the ep8?

Did anyone else notice them mention in the embn video that the bolt pattern is the same as the E7000 and E8000? If so, I wonder how many will consider upgrading to the ep8?

A new motor can transform an old bike - upgrading my 2018 giant to the 2020 motor made a huge difference, but manufacturers keep sweetening the pie to upgrade bikes rather than just motors.

I'd been waiting for the e8 to be released to see if I should snap up one of the last 2020 merida e160's , but the other changes for 2021 like a larger battery and integrated light make the new bike more tempting.

No I did not notice. Thanks for the heads up. Swap out to the new EP8 may become something to consider for the trade-off of higher NMs of torque, etc.

Further reading it sounds like the E8 isn't a direct swap for the e8000 - different wiring harness etc.

More worryingly, it sounds like shimano might stop producing the e8000 so when one goes bang the e7000 will be the plug and play replacement.

I think I'll stick with my giant. Perhaps if I wash it that's a couple of kg weight loss.......

Further reading it sounds like the E8 isn't a direct swap for the e8000 - different wiring harness etc.

More worryingly, it sounds like Shimano might stop producing the e8000 so when one goes bang the e7000 will be the plug and play replacement.

I think I'll stick with my giant. Perhaps if I wash it that's a couple of kg weight loss.......

I have Yamaha and Shimano mid-drives and like both motors for different applications.

Last edited:
I have got my Trance wheels repaired recently. The shop put the Minion DHF for the front wheel as tubeless; they had to replace the rim tape with the new one. I keep the Rekon at the rear as tubeless, too. The shop has also fixed something in the rear axle that was noisy (they didn't tell me what it was and charged nothing for that).

When I was washing and re-lubing my Trance, I found it covered with a thin layer of latex at the front -- it was the sealant that had been gushing through the tyre hole. Surprising how a small piece of gravel could puncture a good tyre and actually damage it.

The Trance is in perfect shape now and ready for new adventures! Here: the chain degreased, cleaned, re-lubed.

1599649958035.png

Are you riding your Orbea, @Browneye Chris?

I have got my Trance wheels repaired recently. The shop put the Minion DHF for the front wheel as tubeless; they had to replace the rim tape with the new one. I keep the Rekon at the rear as tubeless, too. The shop has also fixed something in the rear axle that was noisy (they didn't tell me what it was and charged nothing for that).

When I was washing and re-lubing my Trance, I found it covered with a thin layer of latex at the front -- it was the sealant that had been gushing through the tyre hole. Surprising how a small piece of gravel could puncture a good tyre and actually damage it.

The Trance is in perfect shape now and ready for new adventures! Here: the chain degreased, cleaned, re-lubed.

Are you riding your Orbea, @Browneye Chris?

Any escaped latex sealant should wash off with some all-purpose cleaner, like vinyl cleaner, 409, even dish soap.
Tires and rims look like new again with the application of a little 303 Aerospace Protectant. I just got a gallon of this stuff as it goes on everything I own that is vinyl rubber or plastic. Even fiberglass. You see the fiberglass roof on my 15yo RV!! Any kind of tires, trim, car dashboard, etc etc.

The new Orbea OCCAM...I got one 12 mile trail ride in. Fantastic bike, rides really nice, shifts like butter, great suspension, but pedaling with no electric assist is a chore!! This will be a down-hill bike, or for where ebikes are prohibited.
It's frustrating having it sit on display in the living room, like a show-car. So I take it out once in awhile and do a couple hot-laps around the block. LOL
It's such a cool bike, makes me want to update my eMTB. However, I've now blown my bike budget for the decade. 😄

Orbea ebikes: https://www.orbea.com/us-en/ebikes/mtb-fun/wild-fs/cat
I don't know if they bring them to the US, but I sure would love to have one - Bosch CX power. The company has a stellar reputation and a very loyal following. They're based out of Spain.

L619TTCC-VZ-SIDE-WILD_FS_MLTD.jpg

Last edited:
Any escaped latex sealant should wash off with some all-purpose cleaner, like vinyl cleaner, 409, even dish soap.
Tires and rims look like new again with the application of a little 303 Aerospace Protectant.

The new Orbea OCCAM...I got one 12 mile trail ride in. Fantastic bike, rides really nice, shifts like butter, great suspension, but pedaling with no electric assist is a chore!! This will be a down-hill bike, or for where ebikes are prohibited.
It's frustrating having it sit on display in the living room, like a show-car. So I take it out once in awhile and do a couple hot-laps around the block. LOL
It's such a cool bike, makes me want to update my eMTB. However, I've now blown my bike budget for the decade. 😄

I don't know if they bring them to the US, but I sure would love to have one - Bosch CX power. The company has a stellar reputation and a very loyal following. They're based out of Spain.

L619TTCC-VZ-SIDE-WILD_FS_MLTD.jpg

I just went to their website and clicked on buy now and it appears they sell and ship to the US. I did not finish the transaction so I can't tell you how much shipping is. I clicked on a full suspension model that was 4999.00 and would be delivered in Jan 2021.

Lots of Orbea dealers in Canada. Whether they carry the ebike is unknown, as I really don't want to look too closely as divorce lawyers can be expensive...

Tires and rims look like new again with the application of a little 303 Aerospace Protectant.

My local bike shop carried Orbea for a while... now just getting rid of their new-old-stock, NOS.

They had some really nice Orbea road bikes available last year, but no stock of EMTBs this year. ;)

Last edited:
I just went to their website and clicked on buy now and it appears they sell and ship to the US. I did not finish the transaction so I can't tell you how much shipping is. I clicked on a full suspension model that was 4999.00 and would be delivered in Jan 2021.

I did that too. For the H20, what I originally wanted - the alloy frame - delivery was June next year. I thought it was a mistake - wrote them and got a reply, and they confirmed it was next year for online orders. They ship their dealer orders first.

So when you place an order with them online they build the bike in Spain and ship it to the local dealer of your choice. That dealer assembles and tunes the bike, you pick it up. Now I've also heard a few buyers got bikes shipped direct to them. I don't know if that was a request, or they didn't have a local dealer, or what. Quite a few owners and an active thread on mtbr.com

I got a reply from the regional sales rep. Turned out to be a really helpful guy, with a long history of motorcycles much like myself. So we had quite a lot of back and forth, and he was pretty tickled when I chose the M30. Well, me too. LOL

Anyway, very favorable experience with them all around. Woudn't hesitate to recommend them hands down to anybody in the market for a high performance bike.

I guess the Bosch I never got to try out - all the others, Brose Mag, Shimano 8K, and both of the Yamaha sport and pro. None of them made a bunch of noise. In fact, they're all very much more similar than different. Yamaha and Brose seem the most punchy, and Shimano right in there as well. I could never get my Trek dealers to bring any bikes in. Dummies. LOL

Orbea has several lesser models for eMTB's, starting at about $5K. I have not done a lot of comparison on their ebikes as I'm kind of tapped out. But the $12K one is carbon, the less expensive ones are alloy.
All of their 'M' models are carbon fiber frames, their 'H' models are alloy.

Everybody seems to be jumping on the new Shimano Deore kit, but seem to be slow shipping. The SRAM Eagle was all the rage 'till Shimano jumped on the bandwagon with their version. There are fans for both, and they seem to be more similar than different. Of course the latest and greatest is also and always the lightest weight as well.

I've never ridden a Bosch powered eMTB but what does he mean, or better yet, who knows what is the cause of the sound when the reviewer states this: 'Though like all new Bosch-motorised mountain bikes we have experienced, there was the constant knocking sound when coasting over rough surfaces. We know that will be a deal-breaker for a lot of riders.'

what he means is a magazine journalist once complained about a rattling sound so every subsequent article needs to mention it....

If you listen to chest cam footage of a new bosch bike, close your eyes and smoke enough weed you can almost get paranoid enough to decide that light rattle is the motor rather than the chain.

Apparently the shimano ep8 does it as well

I blame chest cams

Back