eMTB Options For 2024

Quite interesting. What's called Trance X E+ Pro (1, 2, 3) comes with 625 Wh battery compatible with Range Extender. RideControl Ergo: something new, sounds like a wireless display.

Just like with the analogue bikes, 2021 trance x comes with 29 wheels and a flip chip for variable geometry . A mate has just ordered an analogue trance x so when it arrives I'll provide feedback about the flip chip.

Prices seem to be creeping up and spec is creeping down - the 21 trance x 3 is more expensive than an 2020 trance 2 , and it looks like the 2021 2 has lower spec than the 2020 2 . Still about $1 k cheaper than a similar spec levo , but I get the feeling the trance has become giants entry level bike and they are pricing the trance 3 artificially high?

Oh well, it makes my choices easier if the trance is less appealing

Not that I need a new e-MTB... The large battery compatible with range extender and the new electronics are just appealing to me. Cannot have all. I just wonder when the new RideControl 2 app becomes available as Giant advertise the new Trance X E+ should come with it.
P.S. My LBS typically offers 10% discount on anything I buy from them. The discount on the 2020 Trance E+ 2 Pro was even better (surprising).

When I was shopping for my pedal-only mtb my dealer had a new Trance X on the floor. They got a early shipment of bikes that sold out within days. I didn't study it thoroughly though, as it was a XL and they only had one and wouldn't be getting more for months. I don't know if it was a -1 2 or 3, but seemed like a really nice bike at a really good price. No ebikes for months.

I am getting to the opinion that only their +0 and +1 bikes are worthy - the rest of their lower models are much lower spec in order to make a price point. Cheaper suspension and gears mainly, lower spec brakes, and even wheels sometimes.
What's that saying?? The bitter taste of poor quality lasts much longer than the sweet taste of low price?

Now having ridden the CF for a bit, I really appreciate any weight savings. If a mtb'r rides shuttle and lifts and then downhill then it's less of an issue. If you have to pedal that darn thing every ounce makes a difference. 👍 It seems any riders with considerable experience all want the higher-end spec. Enthusiast-level spec. And are willing to pay for it.

Was just on the Norco site as well. There 2021's are out..still using the Steps e8000. When are we going to see a bike with the new e9000?

I think we are now referring to the new 2021 Shimano mid-drive as the EP8.

What’s new? Top 10 facts about the 2021 Shimano EP8 ebike motor
  1. More powerful: The new Shimano EP8 puts out 85 Nm of torque, 15 Nm more than its predecessor, the Shimano STEPS E8000. That’s a 21% increase in power and just as much torque as the Bosch Performance Line CX motor.
  2. Smaller: Compared to the previous model, the EP8’s volume has been reduced. However, the motor’s mounting interface has remained the same, meaning the decreased size mainly results in more ground clearance
  3. Lighter: The EP8 with its new magnesium housing weighs 2.6 kg and is approximately 300 g (10%) lighter than the aluminium STEPS E8000.
  4. Less resistance: The new motor’s internals have been completely redesigned and its internal resistance above the 25 km/h threshold is now basically negligible.
  5. Reduced lag: While the lag in the motor’s response when you stop pedalling depends on the motor’s settings, it’s been noticeably reduced overall.
  6. More ground clearance: Shimano have approved the new motor for 160 mm cranks. That will give you up to 5 mm more ground clearance when pedalling.
  7. Quieter? No. Shimano have greatly reduced the hum of the motor, even when at maximum output. However, there’s a metallic clunking to be heard coming from the gearbox of the EP8.
  8. New apps: Shimano are introducing revised apps along with the new motor. With the Shimano E-TUBE PROJECT app, you can adjust the individual modes, Eco, Trail and Boost, according to your preferences, allowing you to limit the torque and much more. With the Shimano E-TUBE RIDE app, your smartphone can now double as your ebike display and navigation device.
  9. Custom motor tuning: The new EP8 has two individually customisable motor profiles that you can select on the trail via the display, allowing you to quickly switch between two support configurations.
  10. Error code W013: Finally! Putting pressure on the pedals while switching on the system always led to an error code on the old Shimano STEPS E8000. This problem has been solved with the new EP8. Goodbye error code W013!

YT Industries uses Shimano drives, but I haven't seen anything there about the new version.
It also seems their entire production is sold out for 2021 as well, at least for all versions but the top end Elite for seven grand.

really appreciate any weight savings. If a mtb'r rides shuttle and lifts and then downhill then it's less of an issue. If you have to pedal that darn thing every ounce makes a difference. 👍 It seems any riders with considerable experience all want the higher-end spec. Enthusiast-level spec. And are willing to pay for it.

Trust me, weight matters If you spend a day doing lift assisted runs with the emtb!!!!

Picture the loading process - an unfortunate 13 yo girl stand beside her embarrassing x country bike, acutely aware of the sniggering crowd on dedicated down hill weapons. Then the murmur starts, building to a crescendo of ridicule......yup, dad just made that old man grunt again .....as he hoisted 24 kg onto the chairlift.....at least he didn't miss the lift this time.

Good and fine Fellows, the other side of this coin is-are there anything 1/3 decent between $1K and$2K ? Some of us live pretty penuriously.( my computer has crapped itself-thanks Bill,) "the fruit will not fall far from the tree"- Apple be very afraid, I am looking at you.

So I had a look at the new giant trance x today, unfortunately not a test ride but at least an opportunity to get a basic feel for it.

BIG was the overwhelming vibe .

It definitely felt heavier than my giant full e pro - about 2 kg by my guessometer. That's possibly unfair to the trance , but all those extra few grams add up - more battery, bigger wheels, longer geometry, then the hidden things like heavier 36 float forks instead of my 34 performance, I have carbon bars and lighter dropper post , tubeless tyres etc.

Also front heavy - surprisingly so. Much more than I'd expect from the 10 mm longer chainstays. I guess that bigger battery being integrated , plus the heavier wheels and forks, and perhaps the lower front end contribute? But just sitting in the shop, there was no way I'd be able to manual that beast whilst stationary!

There's some really nice details - the way the brake / gear cables thread through the maestro linkages is interesting, plus they run through the swingarm which is neat. The paint was much nicer in the flesh than online ( it was the blue 2). The motor is also less obvious - closer fitting bash plate plus some frame aesthetics ?

Strange, it's more refined than last years trance , and ticks a lot of boxes, but I'm not enthusiastic for the same reasons I wasn't interested in a reign - just too much bike for me.

Good and fine Fellows, the other side of this coin is-are there anything 1/3 decent between $1K and$2K ?
Some of us live pretty penuriously.( my computer has crapped itself-thanks Bill,) "the fruit will not fall far from the tree"- Apple be very afraid, I am looking at you.

Here are a few decent options... not a lot of stock left with most shops.

I'd love to know how the ktm range is perceived in Europe. 3/4 years ago they were promising in Australia but the distributor seemed to dump their 2017 bikes then dissapreared?
I hear very little of them. Saw a guy on a hybrid KTM once. Talking about their e-MTB, they face serious competition. If I looked for another e-MTB, I'd certainly given Canyon e-bikes a thorough look, for instance.

Back