eMTB Options For 2024

I raised mine up quite a bit - a stem and a set of 40mm riser bars. It's really comfortable, works well. With assist it doesn't really have to climb super well. But does need to go downhill.

What is surprising though, my Trance is a L and my OCCAM is a M, and the latter is comfy with flat bars (12mm?) and the stock stem. No risers. Reach is perfect.

Yea, the geometry is different on every type of bike. I optimize my cockpit for descending. :)

I have a stem riser and flat bars on my road bikes... only riser bars on my mountain bikes.

Yea, the geometry is different on every type of bike. I optimize my cockpit for descending. :)

I have a stem riser and flat bars on my road bikes... only riser bars on my mountain bikes.

Let me know when the south sierras open back up and we'll plan trip to the Kern area. Good trails on both sides of the valley. 👍

Let me know when the south sierras open back up and we'll plan trip to the Kern area. Good trails on both sides of the valley. 👍

Sounds like a plan and I'm all in to meet in the Kern area.

I just returned from a trip to the Tahoe area last week... the views were spectacular. ;)

IMG_5002.jpg

Last edited:
I have a soft spot for focus bikes - my daughter borrowed a shimano powered jam when we did the Mt Buller epic in Feb 2019 and that bike started me on the search for a better handling, lighter option than my giant.

When focus announced an ep8 driven option with smaller 375 w battery and accessory Tek pack I was very tempted, but when the ep8 was delayed I started researching the focus range with bosch motors. There's a guy I frequently cross paths with on a jam2 bosch bike, I might have to negotiate a test ride.

For my style of riding, that fold rear end makes sense -less progressive so it stays compluant on miderate hits rather than being designed to absorb jumps.

An ep8 jam with tech pack will be a LOT cheaper than a Speacialized sl...So I could buy a few tech packs.....and it's the same ( good) lbs....Must be patient.....

So, my anti tubeless rant continues. Sprog 3's front wheel was still running tubeless but had snapped a spoke so off the the lbs to try and find a replacement. When I mentioned it was tubeless he decided I should bring the wheel back without a tyre - fair enough.

What a mess! When the spoke broke, the nipple had dislodged the tape and sealant tracked through the rim. EVERY nipple was coated in sealant , plus the egdes of the rim had a line against what was left of the rim tape. I'm waiting to hear from the lbs to see if this wheel is salvageable - not a good time to be sourcing replacement parts! I doubt this wheel will ever balance properly now, with chunks of sealant filling the rim - probably not an issue for an 11 yo's bike, but I'd be annoyed if it was my bike.

At least I already gave a tannus insert for when I get it back.

You see, PDoz, I perfectly understand why you're so irritated. The front of my Trance is still covered with a thin layer of latex after the August front tyre puncture... It goes off after each washing a little. Yet I could continue my ride in the wilderness after re-inflating on that trip.

My brother has vulcanised the hole in the Rekon and replaced it. New rim tape, a solid portion of sealant etc. It works. Yet I shudder when I think I might want to replace the tubeless tyres now after they have been mounted, and it was not me who took the pain :)

Now, I gained experience. The tubeless stay on the Trance but I carry a spare inner tube, tyre levers and a pump on each long ride with that e-bike when I know I couldn't use public transportation to go back home...

Stefan, I started running tubeless in 2017, 3 bikes originally but only 1 is still tubeless now. At first I loved it, but I'm becoming increasingly aware of the long term cost. Perhaps in a couple of years I'll gate tannus just as much?

Sliced sidewall on the norco in 2018 - I had a tube with me but couldn't be bothered fitting it trailside amongst the mess- only a 2 km walk, but that BRAND NEW tyre was thrown out instead of trying to clean / patch it a few thousand km from home.

The front recon that came standard on my full e was tossed out before its time. I had intended to use it on the rear but decided cleaning all the sealant wasn't worth the hassle ( to be fair , I never really liked the recon)

I've had 2 dhf's that had rub marks to the sidewall and developed slow leaks as a result - 2 nearly new tyres thrown out.

Multiple sets of rim tape - one nick with tyre levers and you pretty much have to replace it ( Eventually solved by moving to gorilla tape which is far more forgiving)

I've lost count of all the clogged valves that have been thrown out, or poorly sealing ones when a bit of sealant cures on the base .

Plus every tyre change means discarding the sealant that's inside the old tyre - we ride rocky terrain so wear through about 3 fronts on each bike each year , that's a few bottles of stans dumped down rabbit holes beside the shed....there's probably a very happy rabbit sleeping on a latex bed under there....

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved tubeless in the first year - no impact punctures , lighter wheels, it seemed too good to be true. I think those of us who keep bikes long term are learning tubeless comes at a price.

I don't have enough time on mine to hate it. I imagine a trailside repair with all that goo would be a giant PITA. :rolleyes:
It is finally starting to cool off here from stupid-hot summer temps, and the fires. Maybe get some actual riding in now. Forest is STILL closed. This year completely sucks. 😜

Our year STARTED with 46 million acres burnt ( I think you guys are up around 8 million now) , just praying this year gets better because we're heading into bush fire season and usually rely on aerial resources hired from you guys ....yet they're still needed over there.

Stefan, I started running tubeless in 2017, 3 bikes originally but only 1 is still tubeless now. At first I loved it, but I'm becoming increasingly aware of the long term cost. Perhaps in a couple of years I'll gate tannus just as much?

Sliced sidewall on the norco in 2018 - I had a tube with me but couldn't be bothered fitting it trailside amongst the mess- only a 2 km walk, but that BRAND NEW tyre was thrown out instead of trying to clean / patch it a few thousand km from home.

The front recon that came standard on my full e was tossed out before its time. I had intended to use it on the rear but decided cleaning all the sealant wasn't worth the hassle ( to be fair , I never really liked the recon)

I've had 2 dhf's that had rub marks to the sidewall and developed slow leaks as a result - 2 nearly new tyres thrown out.

Multiple sets of rim tape - one nick with tyre levers and you pretty much have to replace it ( Eventually solved by moving to gorilla tape which is far more forgiving)

I've lost count of all the clogged valves that have been thrown out, or poorly sealing ones when a bit of sealant cures on the base .

Plus every tyre change means discarding the sealant that's inside the old tyre - we ride rocky terrain so wear through about 3 fronts on each bike each year , that's a few bottles of stans dumped down rabbit holes beside the shed....there's probably a very happy rabbit sleeping on a latex bed under there....

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved tubeless in the first year - no impact punctures , lighter wheels, it seemed too good to be true. I think those of us who keep bikes long term are learning tubeless comes at a price.
This info has certainly cooled my thoughts about going tubeless. Certainly for this year's prime riding season. I may rethink next summer.

Our year STARTED with 46 million acres burnt ( I think you guys are up around 8 million now) , just praying this year gets better because we're heading into bush fire season and usually rely on aerial resources hired from you guys ....yet they're still needed over there.
Are you located down under?

Just saw this BH Atom 27.5 Demo listed on CL... a nice deal if anyone is looking for a hardtail. ;)
DEMO - Crazy Lenny's Electric Bikes (crazylennysebikes.com)
  • $4,799.00 List Retail
  • $1,800.00 Sale -62% OFF
  • Size: S, Demo Miles: 9, Condition: Like New. Comes with new ebike warranty from BH.
  • Electric Mountain Bike 700wh Battery, Brose Motor, Plus Sized Tires
  • ATOM X 27.5 + PRO RC – Electric Mountain Bicycle very hard to find, especially in Oregon
  • The ATOM X PRO RC electric mountain bike – A true XC/Trail worthy hardtail ready to tackle the sprints, climbs, and adventure you’re willing to join it on.
  • With 700Wh of “get there and get back”, 100mm of FOX FLOAT suspension up front, BROSE S power, and sure-footed 27.5 X 2.8 treads, this is your faithful go anywhere

1602213586351.png

Last edited:

This KTM appears to be in same class as Bulls Iconic Speed. I had a 2 stroke KTM Motocross 125 back in the day that was a rocket and handled great. Anyone know if this model is avail in USA?

I highly doubt it. Let us know if you find one! 👍

BTW, I rode the KTM's before they were KTM - when John Penton was the importer. ;)

ISDT_Restor3.jpg

This one had a KTM motor in it...the Jackpiner

Penton9500.jpg

Last edited:
Back