eMTB Options For 2024

PDoz, I couldn't fail to notice the "peak" doesn't do very much re being a sun-shade or obscuring the view but if it is down, I get a little of ventilation, and when it is up, a lot of air is pushed into the ventilation slits. I might be completely wrong of course. I'd rather trust your opinion.

PDoz, I couldn't fail to notice the "peak" doesn't do very much re being a sun-shade or obscuring the view but if it is down, I get a little of ventilation, and when it is up, a lot of air is pushed into the ventilation slits. I might be completely wrong of course. I'd rather trust your opinion.

don't trust me - reality is far more reliable

Guys,
I'm extremely irritated. Needed to buy a set of new Shimano sprockets, 10-12t for CS-M7100-12 (part number Y1X498020). Hardly anywhere to avail, not only in Polish but also German online stores. A single store had it on offer, and I gladly hope they indeed have it in stock. Never mind the price (GBP28, EUR31, USD34, AUD55, CAD47), which is over 1/3rd of the whole new cassette. Fancy you needed a Shimano lockring for 12-speed cassettes: Nothing in Europe really...

I should have taken care of the Trance E+ chain and measure the stretch frequently!

Guys,
I'm extremely irritated. Needed to buy a set of new Shimano sprockets, 10-12t for CS-M7100-12 (part number Y1X498020). Hardly anywhere to avail, not only in Polish but also German online stores. A single store had it on offer, and I gladly hope they indeed have it in stock. Never mind the price (GBP28, EUR31, USD34, AUD55, CAD47), which is over 1/3rd of the whole new cassette. Fancy you needed a Shimano lockring for 12-speed cassettes: Nothing in Europe really...

I should have taken care of the Trance E+ chain and measure the stretch frequently!

Last week my lbs mentioned all shimano parts were being sent to manufacturers for new bikes, and there was no new stock likely until next year.

So think outside the box - look online for alternate brands , or anything that is close enough to keep you mobile. Because you DONOT want to see the prise of a sram cassette

Guys,

Take a look at SunRace... decent quality and you can buy an entire cassette for the price of a Shimano cog. ;)

Take a look at SunRace... decent quality and you can buy an entire cassette for the price of a Shimano cog. ;)

It would be a great advice, were these available...

@FlatSix911: Sorry I was wrong. These are available. The Sunrace MZ800 costs 300 zloties while the CS-M7100-12 is 320 zloties. Big deal, isn't it :)

Sunrace, Poland:

Shimano, Poland:

A good news for me. A little known Polish online store actually has had the replacement 10-12t sprocket set for CS-M7100-12 and they are shipping it to me today, with the delivery tomorrow. Now, having had all drive-train matters on all my e-bikes sorted, I intend to take exceptional care about the chains. The drive-train parts are not only expensive but also hard to buy nowadays...

Ah, you know what? That was the last piece of the part number Y1X498020 available at the store. And probably the last one in the region.

A good news for me. A little known Polish online store actually has had the replacement 10-12t sprocket set for CS-M7100-12 and they are shipping it to me today, with the delivery tomorrow. Now, having had all drive-train matters on all my e-bikes sorted, I intend to take exceptional care about the chains. The drive-train parts are not only expensive but also hard to buy nowadays...

Ah, you know what? That was the last piece of the part number Y1X498020 available at the store. And probably the last one in the region.
Par for the course... most global supply chains have been disrupted and will continue to have issues in 2021.

If you don't already have a subscription to 'Rob Rides EMTB' on youtube, it's worth having a look. The guy is the world-wide guru for electric mountain bikes.
Early in this thread I wrote a report about my visit to YT Industries here in San Clemente CA, and now here's Rob's report on his visit:

So although this thread and forum is primarily ebikes, I took a trip down the 'analog' or 'accoustic' bike rabbit hole in my search for a non-electric mountain bike. Lots of good stuff to learn, which in turn overlaps that of eMTB's as well. So here's a good test ride and report on the new Trance X29 we've bantered about here in this thread too.
I thought it was interesting how this report basically says the bike is a virtual twin to the new Orbea OCCAM I ended up buying. But the TranceX29-1 is like $5400, while I paid right at $4K for my Orbea. I haven't ridden it nearly enough...guess I'm saving it for those mountain bike travel trips where you find a great big sign that says 'NO EBIKES'. 😇

Last edited:
So speaking of 'NO EBIKES' - I found a delightful little trail network locally here yesterday, and that's what was posted at every trail entrance to the open space.
I took a vacation day for Columbus day, not for any other reason than I haven't taken a day off since my birthday in May, and only a whole day and a half for the entire year and since the lockdown. I have about 14 days of vacation to use before year end or I lose them. So say goodbye to Browneye at work... LOL

Anyway, I thought I would load up the ebike in the pickup and do some exploring on our coastal range. There are several water-shed type open space areas that are too steep and rugged to build on, so they county has kept them open with trails for hikers and bikers. Back in May I rode several of the routes in the Crystal Cove area, yesterday went a little further south to check out the Aliso Creek watershed.

Fairly difficult to find the trail entrance, it's obscured by a fancy park, and there is no parking. So find a spot in a residential neighborhood, unload, and ride through the park, there's the trailhead. And a big sign that says 'NO EBIKES'. Why oh why are ebikes prohibited? It just makes zero sense. At my age, going down the valley to the ocean and then riding back up would simply be exhausting on a pedal-only bike. I said screw-it, rode it anyway.

Passed two rigs of park rangers, I just waved and kept pedaling. LOL I would have been happy to receive a citation just so I could show up in court and rant about the stupidity of the applicable county ordinances.

Anyway, it was mostly just wide dirt roads, but I did manage to find a few single-track trails that were very fun. I was also quite surprised how many hikers and bikers there were out there - doesn't anybody work anymore?????

The park entrance...off in the distance you can see some of the trails that criss-cross this area - some of the dirt trails. I rode about 12 miles, plenty sweaty. It was 73* when I got there, 84* when I left. We are getting typical fall weather with hot days and cool nights.

9AF22BF5_4E81_4F34_B686_E1557777108E_IMG_3491.JPG

Some nice trails...

E7B5B5A1_ED2E_4B2B_A480_47281F6A9486_IMG_3489.JPG

The emtb is just phenom...

AD78051A_BD7B_426D_B33C_AD41BD426100_IMG_3490.JPG

So although this thread and forum is primarily ebikes, I took a trip down the 'analog' or 'accoustic' bike rabbit hole in my search for a non-electric mountain bike. Lots of good stuff to learn, which in turn overlaps that of eMTB's as well. So here's a good test ride and report on the new Trance X29 we've bantered about here in this thread too.
I thought it was interesting how this report basically says the bike is a virtual twin to the new Orbea OCCAM I ended up buying. But the TranceX29-1 is like $5400, while I paid right at $4K for my Orbea. I haven't ridden it nearly enough...guess I'm saving it for those mountain bike travel trips where you find a great bike sign that says 'NO EBIKES'. 😇

A workmate just bought the advanced x 29 , but the no 2 spec ( 1 level down on spec compared to that video) - about $6 k oz , which is $1 k more than I paid for my emtb a couple of years ago! and twice what we paid for sprogette 1's scott genius 940 last tear It's half the weight of my bike.....He was after the non carbon version that's $3400 oz but that was going to be a 4 month wait! In Australia, prices are going up rapidly - these sort of bikes were always sold with a discount to " special" customers , but now those customers are going on waiting lists and feel lucky to eventually get something with a couple of wheels.

I declined the offer of a ride - I need to think about the mental health implications first.

Interesting observations - his size M has geometry within mm of sprogette 1's size L scott genius 940 ( 2019) . With his flip chip set at high and hers at low , the only difference was a few mm in bb height and his Seat was slightly further forward. His bike is carbon, ( including wheels) , hers alloy so about 1.5 kg difference in weight. They are similar height and weight and he is very bike fit , she was , er, not at optimal phase . We rode 25 km of intermediate hilly tracks , but only about 500 m elevation . The only times there was a noticeable difference in speed between them were when he was lying on the ground........clip on pedals are a stupid idea.

It'll be interesting to watch them ride together in a couple of weeks when he has dialled in the bike and she is back up to speed. My gut feeling is the Scott adjustable suspension will make up for the giant price ( carbon build) . But for a 40 yo guy to be able to keep up with a 15 yo girl, that Giant is definitely worth twice the cost of the Scott ( I think that full retail there is only about a 25% price difference) . I'm already looking at his wheels and having thoughts about trying them in sprogettes bike....

So speaking of 'NO EBIKES' - I found a delightful little trail network locally here yesterday, and that's what was posted at every trail entrance to the open space.
I took a vacation day for Columbus day, not for any other reason than I haven't taken a day off since my birthday in May, and only a whole day and a half for the entire year and since the lockdown. I have about 14 days of vacation to use before year end or I lose them. So say goodbye to Browneye at work... LOL

Anyway, I thought I would load up the ebike in the pickup and do some exploring on our coastal range. There are several water-shed type open space areas that are too steep and rugged to build on, so they county has kept them open with trails for hikers and bikers. Back in May I rode several of the routes in the Crystal Cove area, yesterday went a little further south to check out the Aliso Creek watershed.

Fairly difficult to find the trail entrance, it's obscured by a fancy park, and there is no parking. So find a spot in a residential neighborhood, unload, and ride through the park, there's the trailhead. And a big sign that says 'NO EBIKES'. Why oh why are ebikes prohibited? It just makes zero sense. At my age, going down the valley to the ocean and then riding back up would simply be exhausting on a pedal-only bike. I said screw-it, rode it anyway.

Passed two rigs of park rangers, I just waved and kept pedaling. LOL I would have been happy to receive a citation just so I could show up in court and rant about the stupidity of the applicable county ordinances.

Anyway, it was mostly just wide dirt roads, but I did manage to find a few single-track trails that were very fun. I was also quite surprised how many hikers and bikers there were out there - doesn't anybody work anymore?????

The park entrance...off in the distance you can see some of the trails that criss-cross this area - some of the dirt trails. I rode about 12 miles, plenty sweaty. It was 73* when I got there, 84* when I left. We are getting typical fall weather with hot days and cool nights.

9AF22BF5_4E81_4F34_B686_E1557777108E_IMG_3491.JPG

Some nice trails...

E7B5B5A1_ED2E_4B2B_A480_47281F6A9486_IMG_3489.JPG

The emtb is just phenom...

AD78051A_BD7B_426D_B33C_AD41BD426100_IMG_3490.JPG
Yea, the no-eBike thing doesn't make much sense. :(

Most EMTB folks are way more controlled and courteous than the younger MTB set. ;)

Lenny's was selling BH eMTB's for up to 50% off. Half price takes it from 'that looks interesting' to 'well, now that's a no-brainer'.

We did a group ride yesterday, a couple of breweries, 7 ebikes, had a blast. One of the guys suggested I look at YT Decoy - never heard of them, Shimano steps drive - killer looking bikes, local company, direct to consumer sales model.
We do cars and coffee in San Clemente most Saturdays, so I'll be sure to check them out.

I still really like the Giant Trance e-pro+3. If I could get one for under four grand I'd probly be a buyer instead of a shopper.

I really like the Yamaha mid-drive. I have a comfort level with it - like a 'known entity'.

YT has their 'mullet' emtb's - 27.5 rear with 29" front, good suspension, dropper seat, good battery size, nice integration. And a very nice 29" trailbike. All their bikes are carbon fiber - right about 50lbs.

I still think I'd rather have a trance for the $$ involved.

p4pb18221995.jpg
Wow awesome ride🚲👍🤓

$88 with shipping from Japan - Ebay.
I got a whole cassette for about $120 IIRC - for my extra wheel set. We may have different gear sets...not sure from 2019 to 2020 model.

Back